F1 2024 Discussion

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Landoooooo!!!!!!!!!

Had some luck but Max didn’t have that many more laps on his tires, they were just fast. Really cool to see everyone congratulating him and just how ecstatic he was. Hopefully a sign of things to come the rest of this season, Max could use real competition every once in awhile.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Wonder if this is a one off or has McLaren and possibly Ferrari caught up with the red Bulls
McLaren brought big updates to Miami (only half made it on Oscar’s car, Lando had the full updates). So I think a combo of those working well and Red Bull having a bad weekend. Ferrari are supposedly bringing their major updates to Imola in a couple weeks. So it’ll be really interesting to see how things shape up at the front of the grid, no other teams seem close to catching those three.

Reactions: Drew0311

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Yeah Logan is getting this race and it’s over. Assuming the waiver goes through. Guess Kimi (still weird it’s not Raikonnen) put in a blistering programme that would
Have been next to Max.
From what I've been reading there's more to it than a waiver but there's no chance that Sargent makes it past summer break.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I love Haas and KMAG, but my god, it's time to move on, i get he's fighting for a spot next year, but he's reverting back to old Kevin.

Sign me up for Bottas and Bearman, OR... hear me out with Danny Ric doing somewhat okay this weekend, could Lawson say screw it and sign with Haas if they offered him? the whole going young thing didn't work out well the last time they did it. And would RB let him out of the academy?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I know this is a bit off topic, so I apologize, but is Indycar the worst run organization on the planet? F1 has plenty of weekends off, does Indycar take advantage of that? No, they decide to race the same weekend as F1 and not only that, they time it so they go head to head wth F1. They could have started that race at noon and been a great lead in to F1.

Back on topic. Really happy for Lando. It was really cool to see how many drivers went out of their way to congratulate him.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I know this is a bit off topic, so I apologize, but is Indycar the worst run organization on the planet? F1 has plenty of weekends off, does Indycar take advantage of that? No, they decide to race the same weekend as F1 and not only that, they time it so they go head to head wth F1. They could have started that race at noon and been a great lead in to F1.

Back on topic. Really happy for Lando. It was really cool to see how many drivers went out of their way to congratulate him.

Indy Cars TV contract is AWFUL, They're trying to drum up more support based off the 100 Days to Indy on CW, and then sold it to Netflix. It's a little better racing simply because any one can win any given weekend.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
From what I've been reading there's more to it than a waiver but there's no chance that Sargent makes it past summer break.
I could be wrong, but I thought I read that Volwes publicly stated they were trying to get the waiver approved for 2025 season.

In all reality, I also agree that I’d be shocked if Sargent makes it past summer break.

Reactions: Clonefan94

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Indy Cars TV contract is AWFUL, They're trying to drum up more support based off the 100 Days to Indy on CW, and then sold it to Netflix. It's a little better racing simply because any one can win any given weekend.
Especially if you are NBC though, why would you want to compete directly with F1/ABC? I agree it's actually better racing, but most of the US F1 fans don't know that. The casual racing fan with two options is more than likely going to choose F1. And let's be honest, Indycar is essentially a spec series, for the casual or passing racing fan, it doesn't compare to the Glitz of F1. TV Contract or not, how hard would it have been to just say, "Hey, let's have this race at noon and promote it as a start to a full afternoon of open wheel racing? I want Indycar popularity to grow, so it's really frustrating seeing how they approach getting new fans to watch.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I could be wrong, but I thought I read that Volwes publicly stated they were trying to get the waiver approved for 2025 season.

In all reality, I also agree that I’d be shocked if Sargent makes it past summer break.
You did read that right but they've also got to get Toto to sign off on letting him in that seat. I wouldn't think that would be a problem but you never know.

Reactions: StormnClone58

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Especially if you are NBC though, why would you want to compete directly with F1/ABC? I agree it's actually better racing, but most of the US F1 fans don't know that. The casual racing fan with two options is more than likely going to choose F1. And let's be honest, Indycar is essentially a spec series, for the casual or passing racing fan, it doesn't compare to the Glitz of F1. TV Contract or not, how hard would it have been to just say, "Hey, let's have this race at noon and promote it as a start to a full afternoon of open wheel racing? I want Indycar popularity to grow, so it's really frustrating seeing how they approach getting new fans to watch.

Andretti is super frustrated with Indy racing and wants the owner to sell it. I think Andretti could run it better. They also need to start getting into different cities. No offense to our state but running two races in two days on a tiny little track does nothing for them. Maybe Hy Vee is requiring it since they are a major Indy sponsor and it’s HyVees home state . However, they need new tracks

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
IndyCar racing is pretty good, being a more or less spec series it should be an on any given Sunday sort of deal. Having the races on NBC where half the race is a commercial doesn't help them but until somebody steps up to sponsor the race commercial free like Mothers did and Mercedes is doing now for F1 you're stuck with that model.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Honest question. I don't get the love of F1. I'm definitely a racing fan. Mostly dirt but also Nascar and Indy which is my favorite. Why the love of watching a train. No passing and VerStappin wins every race. Help me want to watch this more.
I'll bite since nobody else did. I geek out about the technical aspect of F1. They push the envelope for automotive design and technology. Now not everything is going to make it to your road car from F1, you're not getting a gold foil lined engine bay but they've been running a hybrid drivetrain since 2009 and now they are at the point where the powertrain is over 50% thermally efficient. There's only so much you can milk out of a pushrod V8. The other major F1 is and has been about snooty rich Europeans being ******** to each other. You've got these legendary automotive brands fighting on the track putting a huge amount of money into the effort, at least before the budget caps then off the track the amount of scheming just to screw with the other teams is nuts. It's also a truly global championship unlike most other sports. You've got the UN of people competing in the sport unlike NASCAR or USAC so it's really the best of the best.