enCYCLONEedia: Analyzing the Mangino tenure. Why not Wally?

silvercybone

Jul 6, 2010
Definitely interesting... I can see his point, if you're facing the 7th best passing offenses in the country it makes some sense that you'd be the 7th worst passing defense. I still think the defense needs quite a bit of work, though the performance against Baylor was definitely better than expected.

sidenote has it actually been announced Mangino was fired... cause the way it was worded almost sounded like he quit...

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I enjoyed the article and I would say that Mangino has always been and will forever be a Pass 1st and Run 2nd kind of OC, I'm not say that's either good or bad but remember that a running game has not worked at either ISU or KU for a very long time.

Fact of the matter the last time we went really all in on the running game under Jimmie Walden we didn't even Win One stinking game all year.

I think that MM realizes as Jim Criner did that the fastest way to parity with the big boys is thru the passing game

Go Cyclones Break 'dem texas horns

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
This is why I don't believe MM called all the plays during the Baylor game. While JL was QB we rushed 40 something times while throwing 17 times. The first score was all rushing plays I believe.

clonetil01

Nov 23, 2009
Fact of the matter the last time we went really all in on the running game under Jimmie Walden we didn't even Win One stinking game all year.

Pretty sure the two years with Troy Davis were all in on the run game. I was at a game where he carried it 54 times I believe. Didn't produce many wins, but it was a viable argument that giving him the ball, while playing from behind, was definitely our best chance for a quick score.

Those two years were the most fun I've had watching my team lose.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looks like we are getting better, but we have a long ways to go. Seems the defense has had a much worse tougher group to play than our offense has had.
Awake the Offensive Kraken.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
If I had to guess, I'd say that Mangino and ISU parted ways because he was told when he interviewed that he'd have total control of the offense, and then Rhoads was telling him he needed to play Lanning and run more often. I believe Mangino has had total control of the offense (he's been calling every play according to Rhoads), and now 1-1/2 seasons in it hasn't produced the desired results so Rhoads said "you have to make some changes." From Mangino's point of view, Rhoads was micro-managing something he didn't fully understand. From Rhoads' point of view, he is trying to be the "head coach/CEO" and save his job. I have no inside information, this is purely my conjecture.

In my opinion, we have to make better use of Mike Warren regardless of the OC. I'm not convinced that Lanning is more talented than Richardson yet - Richardson has played two of the worst games of his career in the past couple weeks - but both operate in different ways within the running game. The game planning and play calling need to reflect that.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If I had to guess, I'd say that Mangino and ISU parted ways because he was told when he interviewed that he'd have total control of the offense, and then Rhoads was telling him he needed to play Lanning and run more often. I believe Mangino has had total control of the offense (he's been calling every play according to Rhoads), and now 1-1/2 seasons in it hasn't produced the desired results so Rhoads said "you have to make some changes." From Mangino's point of view, Rhoads was micro-managing something he didn't fully understand. From Rhoads' point of view, he is trying to be the "head coach/CEO" and save his job. I have no inside information, this is purely my conjecture.

In my opinion, we have to make better use of Mike Warren regardless of the OC. I'm not convinced that Lanning is more talented than Richardson yet - Richardson has played two of the worst games of his career in the past couple weeks - but both operate in different ways within the running game. The game planning and play calling need to reflect that.

Sam had a QBR rating last game of 0.1. That is low as you can go since 0.0 is not possible. It is a bar that is so low that whatever is done in the game such as interceptions, fumbles, sacks, pass speed, etc.probably no longer matters

http://www.espnfrontrow.com/2011/08/inside-new-formula-total-qb-rating/

For the record, the lowest NFL QBR is Sam Bradford at 29.1.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Sam had a QBR rating last game of 0.1. That is low as you can go since 0.0 is not possible. It is a bar that is so low that whatever is done in the game such as interceptions, fumbles, sacks, pass speed, etc.probably no longer matters

http://www.espnfrontrow.com/2011/08/inside-new-formula-total-qb-rating/

For the record, the lowest NFL QBR is Sam Bradford at 29.1.

Sam has played two very bad games - TTech and Baylor. His QBR for the year so far is 48.4, which ranks him #129 out of 240 total players. So he's been an average college QB so far this season. If you limit it to "qualified players," which is anyone who averages at least 20 plays per game, he's #89 out of 127 which is about the 30th percentile - not so good. But against Tech and Baylor, he put up 2 of his worst 5 performances of his career based on QBR.

Lanning is currently #41/240 (QBR = 72.9), but hasn't played enough to make it onto the "qualified players" list yet. If he maintains that QBR and plays enough to qualify (would need about 3/4 of the snaps in the remaining games to do so), he'd be the #25/127 QB in the nation. That being said, his QBR in games that he really effected (i.e. got about 20 plays or more, TTech and Baylor) is in the neighborhood of 50. He had a QBR of 100 against TCU (and a passer rating of 1051.6, ha) and a QBR of 98.6 against KU where he went 0-1 passing but rushed 3 times for 24 yards. This is why I say I'm not sold on Lanning as the answer yet.

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines

Can't be true it has to be Rhoads that called the plays and didn't want Lanning in at QB. Fire Rhoads, fire Pollard for not firing Rhoads, fire Leath for not firing Pollard for not firing rhoads, blame Obama and the Koch brothers. Amirite?

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
The difference between Wally etal. is that for the most part, considering the talent we've had, Wally has either met or exceeded expectations. For several years, we've been just an average offensive away from a whole lot of wins.
Simply put, he's been able to do more with less.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Our defense hasn't come close to being strong over the last couple years. But part of the issue is our offense has made things difficult on our defense by so many short possessions and just plain simple failing to score points.

That said, Wally shouldn't get a pass. His philosophy of bend don't break might work when 60% was a great completion rate. But with todays passing offenses that regularly complete 64-70% of passes, defense is all about putting pressure on the QB AND WR's. Defense has to interupt the QB's timing.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Why not Wally? Heh.. Why did McCarney keep Skladany, and why did McCarney bring Skladany back when he took over at NTSU?

I'd take Wally over Skladany.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
The difference between Wally etal. is that for the most part, considering the talent we've had, Wally has either met or exceeded expectations. For several years, we've been just an average offensive away from a whole lot of wins.
Simply put, he's been able to do more with less.

Then our expectations are too low on the defensive side. We've had one good year defensively under CPR.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Why not Wally? Heh.. Why did McCarney keep Skladany, and why did McCarney bring Skladany back when he took over at NTSU?

I'd take Wally over Skladany.
We need Mike....Mike Ditka. Attack and Squash Defense. Go down swinging.