Dinner With Schmucks

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Went last night and thought this was a very good movie. Funny with a little bit of a Forrest Gump element to it. The big question is...who are the schmucks at the dinner?

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Went last night and thought this was a very good movie. Funny with a little bit of a Forrest Gump element to it. The big question is...who are the schmucks at the dinner?

I thought this was going to be a thread about visiting your in-laws.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The trailer makes me want to avoid it at all costs. The scene where Steve Carrell is saying something about "baby diareaha" just makes me cringe.

asmosis

Jul 6, 2010
Minneapolis
I can't see any way in which this movie will be good. It looks like a top-10 worst film to me. I'm not a potty/booby/lewd-humor type of guy, plus the premise of this film sounds insanely dumb.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I can't see any way in which this movie will be good. It looks like a top-10 worst film to me. I'm not a potty/booby/lewd-humor type of guy, plus the premise of this film sounds insanely dumb.

I'm all for crude humor if there's some level of creativity cleverness, or thought behind it. Dinner With Schmucks appears to be on par with such comedic classics as White Chicks and Without a Paddle. It's just completely, utter, lowest-common-denominator schlock.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'm all for crude humor if there's some level of creativity cleverness, or thought behind it. Dinner With Schmucks appears to be on par with such comedic classics as White Chicks and Without a Paddle. It's just completely, utter, lowest-common-denominator schlock.

I don't know, Steve Carrell has earned some benefit of the doubt with me. Actually, Paul Rudd has too, to a lesser extent.

MisterTwister

Feb 8, 2009
Ankeny
Saw it last night and it was alright, nothing great. Figured one this out after seeing Paul Rudd in "I Love You Man" and Dinner For Schmucks", he is a not a good straight man. He is best at comic relief. Save your money and wait for it on Red Box.

jimmy22

Mar 1, 2008
Average. Some laugh-out-loud moments. Lots of dead mouse humor! The dinner portion is actually a small part of the movie (in terms of time). Several scenes dragged on far too long. I did enjoy seeing Jemaine and Mel from Flight of the Conchords.

I'd wait for the DVD.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
Also saw it last night and was disappointed. A few funny moment, but mostly a try at 'uncomfortable humor' that was more painful than funny.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
It's an adaptation of a French film called "The Dinner Game", which I have heard good things about.

I haven't heard much positive about the American version. though, which is sad.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Interesting. I don't care what any on you say...I enjoyed it and thought it was a pretty entertaining movie...much deeper than I anticipated...if you are looking.

At any rate, no one has answered my question...who are the schmucks at dinner? Please no answers from those that have only seen the trailers...thank you.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I was going to see it opening day but decided not to. Outside the 40 year old virgin I haven't been to impressed with his over films except Bruce Almighty and Anchorman but he was a minor character in both of those.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I thought it was good. The theater was packed and everyone was laughing which always helps. I thought Carrell was great. Galafanakis (sp?) was okay but it isn't the right role for him. He did a decent job with it but it didn't fit. The story is funny and Paul Rudd does good enough. Things go a little too well too easily, but I knew it was a comedy first, drama second. The leading lady is gorgeous. It's definitely not lowest common denominator humor.

I feel like CF legend, Wesley typed that for me

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Broke down and saw it yesterday. We needed to get the hell out of our apartment for a couple hours after a weekend of cleaning/packing/last-minute wedding stuff and we had already seen Inception. It was alright, funny, but a little predictable. Al, if the "baby diarrhea" line is what's keeping you from going, there's not really any gross-out humor.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
I enjoyed it. Not the best movie in the world, but I'd see it again when it comes out on video.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006

That's exactly what it was, and my wife and I walked out midway through it.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
41AbkXy8tFL._SL500_.jpg

Ha. I kiddd... Haven't seen it yet.