DeAndre Kane article from DraftExpress

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Thank You. The only thing I might disagree with in the article is how they said his age at 25 might be a disadvantage. From what I've heard Stern talk about and other NBA GM's in articles is how the NBA has too many young players that left college early that aren't as mature and lack some basic basketball fundamentals, and they would like an age limit or have at least two years of college completed before jumping.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Kane is the kind of player who if he leads ISU deep in the tournament and still has eye popping season numbers like he's had lately they'll focus more on his NBA ready size and strength for a combo guard as a positive and less on his age as a negative. He needs the successful winning floor general thing more than the younger guys "potential" guys.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
He won't get drafted, end of story. How many times do we think ISU players will get drafted and they never do...yeah.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Pretty fair article. However, I think his age is less of an issue considering his likely draft position (or lack thereof). If he gets drafted it'll be in the late 2nd round. At this point in the draft players aren't drafted for potential, but for NBA readiness and ability to compete for low minutes from the beginning.

End of the 2nd round is where 4 yr, good (but not great) college players and foreign players with a likely 20% chance of ever appearing in a game get drafted.

I'd guess his chance of being drafted is in the region of 25%, but camp invite high either way.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Thank You. The only thing I might disagree with in the article is how they said his age at 25 might be a disadvantage. From what I've heard Stern talk about and other NBA GM's in articles is how the NBA has too many young players that left college early that aren't as mature and lack some basic basketball fundamentals, and they would like an age limit or have at least two years of college completed before jumping.

NBA execs seem fixated on potential and will overlook guys who can do it now.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
He won't get drafted, end of story. How many times do we think ISU players will get drafted and they never do...yeah.
I still remember everyone saying that Exclamation Mark Clark (Rashon Clark) was going to be a lottery pick and the guy doesn't even come close to getting drafted.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I still remember everyone saying that Exclamation Mark Clark (Rashon Clark) was going to be a lottery pick and the guy doesn't even come close to getting drafted.

They said that after his Freshman year. He was the draft express boards for a few years.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I can almost bet DeAndre will get drafted in the NBA. My guess is late 1st round early 2nd.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Kane is the kind of player who if he leads ISU deep in the tournament and still has eye popping season numbers like he's had lately they'll focus more on his NBA ready size and strength for a combo guard as a positive and less on his age as a negative. He needs the successful winning floor general thing more than the younger guys "potential" guys.

Yes exactly. Really versatile and strong and a nice fit in an NBA/D league system.
- A little off topic but I went and watched the Iowa Energy last Sunday and was really impressed with the level of talent and how smooth those guys got up and down. Muhammed the kid from Kentucky had 8 dunks in the game and the Bulls called him up the next day. Teague also played and I believe he's also back on the Bulls. I think the Energy finished with 125+ points.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't think he will get drafted, but it isn't because of his age. If you're good enough, age doesn't matter. He won't get drafted because he's not a good enough shooter IMO.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
David Stern doesn't own a team.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I don't think he will get drafted, but it isn't because of his age. If you're good enough, age doesn't matter. He won't get drafted because he's not a good enough shooter IMO.

The fact that you said age doesn't matter means that you shouldn't comment on NBA draft topics.

Help Support Us

Become a patron