Coach K Retiring after 2021-22 season

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Coach K will be 75 by the time the season ends next spring. He makes anywhere from 7 to 10 million a year, depending on bonuses, and has for quite a while. He has won numerous conference and national championships at Duke, has had dozens of All American players come out of his program. After all of that, maybe the man is just burnt out on coaching kids that only want to use the program for a year, to advance their name and likeness and then go off to the NBA. Or maybe he just wants to spend time with his wife, kids and grandkids, and kick back, travel and not worry about whether some 18 year old HS kid is going to sign with you or some other team.

Retire and enjoy life, because before you never know how many more good healthy years you have left at 75.
That's exactly it... except do it when you are 65 (or younger if you can). There are no guarantees on your mental and physical health.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Coach K will be 75 by the time the season ends next spring. He makes anywhere from 7 to 10 million a year, depending on bonuses, and has for quite a while. He has won numerous conference and national championships at Duke, has had dozens of All American players come out of his program. After all of that, maybe the man is just burnt out on coaching kids that only want to use the program for a year, to advance their name and likeness and then go off to the NBA. Or maybe he just wants to spend time with his wife, kids and grandkids, and kick back, travel and not worry about whether some 18 year old HS kid is going to sign with you or some other team.

Retire and enjoy life, because before you never know how many more good healthy years you have left at 75.

7 weeks to go. ;)

• Love
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I am surprised they are leaking this, it will catch a lot of flack for non bball related reasons. Even if they knew this was the direction they wanted to go, they needed to play it closer the vest or be ready to be totally transparent about their selection process because it's going to be under a microscope.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
He was born Feb. 13th 1947, so currently he is 74 years of age, and will turn 75 next Feb. 13th 2022.

Mike Krzyzewski - Wikipedia

Well, what I meant is that I have 7 weeks until my retirement. And I'm sure all good CFers know that Coach K was offered the ISU job (and encouraged to take it by Bob Knight). I wonder how different our MBB history would have been?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Somewhat surprisingly, Goodman appears to have broken this story and is the only one I've seen reporting it right now.

Is Boeheim next?

Good call on his part. Get out before he goes down in some kind of controversy. The game has changed so much since he first started it is really crazy to think about.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009

I would have done it 10 years ago lol

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I’m no fan of Roy Williams, but at least he had the courtesy to retire AFTER the season instead of taking a narcissistic victory lap.
You don't rock a "I don't care if the world knows it's a toupee" for 30+ years without being a bit of a narcissist.

Reactions: Pat

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron