Clues from Alford

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by BenEClone, Dec 7, 2006.

1. BenEClone

BenEClone Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Lincoln, Ne
    When it was announced that there was one more men's basketball recruit, I was expecting an inside player. When Boozer was announced I guessed that GMac had confidence in the bigs already on board. Nothing we've seen so far this year points to Jiri or Ross. Maybe its Thompson. FWIW the Register article suggests Steve Alford expected Alex Thompson to start at Iowa this year and wasn't playing more before only because he was behind Brunner. "The plan was for Thompson to replace Brunner as the Hawkeyes’ primary post player." How good do we expect Alex to be?

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061207/SPORTS02050101/61207035/1094/cyclone_insider&lead=1

2. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

A clue from Alford? This is breaking news! Alford has a clue! Stop the presses!

3. ljs6756

ljs6756 Member

Apr 10, 2006
    My look on the hole deal is its just a eye for a eye!!!!
    What goes around comes around.

4. Cyclonesrule91

Cyclonesrule91 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Finance Officer
    Waukee
    If watching him in the Capital City League this summer is any indication, he will make a great post player. He was more physical down low and definitely more of a banger inside then 3 Jiri's could ever be. He matched up quite well and had Keita(big man for Drake) frustrated at times when they played against one another(one example that I can remember).

I think he will be a good #5 player next year until Brackens gets acclimated to Gmac's system and then will be a solid power forward when Brackens takes over down low. Then we should be covered quite well in each position. I can't wait..:yes4lo:

5. jay moe

jay moe Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Educator
    southern iowa
    I hope he can come in and mix it up under the basket, we really lack that this year.

6. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    From what I've read around here, Brackins isn't much of a banger either. I think Thompson starts at the 5 for both years he plays here.

7. cygoat

cygoat Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I was also really impressed with Thompson in the Cap City League this summer. He will definitely help raise the level of our inside game next year.

8. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    #8 BryceC, Dec 8, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
    I'd like Thompson to gain 20 pounds if he's going to be playing the 5 spot.

Edit: I guess he is listed as 230 on the Cyclones.com roster. 20 pounds would still be nice.

9. cgwarrior33

cgwarrior33 Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Male
    Sales/Logistics
    Norwalk, Iowa
    Yea. From what I have heard through the coaching circles, Thompson would play just as good as Brunner in practice, but he could not translate it over into games. It did not help that Alford rode him all the time in the games. He looked like he was scared to make a mistake.

10. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    I think GMac is just what Thompson needed. A year off to work with him may really do him wonders as GMac knows how to develop big men. Alford has never really developed players that well. Remember Glen Worley? I think he got worse every season. And I can't say that Horner and Brunner were noticable way better than they were when they came into the program. I think the only player during the Alford tenure to be a mainstay in the NBA so far is Reggie Evans right? He was a juco transfer and went un-drafted so not like Alford had much to do with getting him to the NBA.

I've had my reservations about Thompson after the incidents with his HS coach and then with Alford but after seeing him play in the Capital City league I hope a change of scenery being back in his hometown plus GMac coaching him that he finally settles down and becomes the player Iowa thought he was going to be when they recruited him.

11. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    He can come to Ames and play, because we make 20 mistakes a night for sure.