CFTV: An honest Shane Burnham talks DT's

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I was thinking that maybe we'd see Omoile be asked to switch over to DL, or something for spring ball and bolster the depth. He's 6-3 and 300. We don't have experience or depth at all there. On top of that Irving is out of spring ball again and Aka can't get healthy. We're asking a lot of Taylor, Ayeni and Pierson to come in and play at Big12 level at 250 or 260 pounds. The realist is me is thinking we need to be prepared for disaster here.

I think they tried that when he was a freshman and it went so badly they switched him back to OL in a matter of days.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Between this and the cautionary thing about the JUCO D-linemen, I have this feeling that they're preparing us fans for a rough, rough time on that side.

But that should keep the offense fresh and give the scoreboard something to do, if that's the deal.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Rhoads has talked some about a rush package that involves one or two defensive ends playing on the inside. We might see a semi-excessive amount of that. Problem is we need to put them in a pass first situation first.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Rhoads has talked some about a rush package that involves one or two defensive ends playing on the inside. We might see a semi-excessive amount of that. Problem is we need to put them in a pass first situation first.

Yeah, gonna need to work on a gimmick. Re-invent the wheel. I wish Wally would just say screw it and blitz like a madman. If we get torched on multiple fly patterns & screens at least we're getting the defense off the field sooner, ha ha!

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Between this and the cautionary thing about the JUCO D-linemen, I have this feeling that they're preparing us fans for a rough, rough time on that side.

But that should keep the offense fresh and give the scoreboard something to do, if that's the deal.

That or they've learned from the past and are hoping to under-promise and over-deliver? That's what I am hoping at least.

And in Rhoads' defense, I came out and asked him about the JUCO D-linemen. It isn't like he threw all of that out there on his own.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Yeah, gonna need to work on a gimmick. Re-invent the wheel. I wish Wally would just say screw it and blitz like a madman. If we get torched on multiple fly patterns & screens at least we're getting the defense off the field sooner, ha ha!

I actually think with Morrissey and Pierson the pass rush will be okay, but he'll want to loud the box to stop the run. Like last year, it's gonna be a lot of single coverage.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
For me, I'm going to have incredibly low expectations for 2014. Just going to let (hope) them surprise me.

I think 2 years ago I said 2014 was his make or break year. That hasn't changed. Yeah, maybe there have been some unfortunate circumstances around transfers and removing guys from the team, but that's part of his job. If you add Coe and Jensen back to the line, not even to mention Krick and Bevins, things are different. If you have Morgan and Smith still at LB things are different. If you have Mattison and Bennett around, things are different. It's his job to recruit guys who will be there. They aren't and that's on him. So this leaves me in a difficult spot. 6 wins seems optimistic when 2 years ago I think 9 would have been similarly optimistic. Another 3 win season and I'm probably off his bandwagon.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think 2 years ago I said 2014 was his make or break year. That hasn't changed. Yeah, maybe there have been some unfortunate circumstances around transfers and removing guys from the team, but that's part of his job. If you add Coe and Jensen back to the line, not even to mention Krick and Bevins, things are different. If you have Morgan and Smith still at LB things are different. If you have Mattison and Bennett around, things are different. It's his job to recruit guys who will be there. They aren't and that's on him. So this leaves me in a difficult spot. 6 wins seems optimistic when 2 years ago I think 9 would have been similarly optimistic. Another 3 win season and I'm probably off his bandwagon.

If 3 happens, making football an opt-in forum will seem like a very good idea, and the lengthy clonedude manifestoes will blow out the servers.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
For me, I'm going to have incredibly low expectations for 2014. Just going to let (hope) them surprise me.

I think this defense is going to mid 80's bad. Reality is there has been way too much attrition and way too many misses on recruiting on that side of the ball. People don't like to hear it, but this looks like a total disaster to me. The D line is going to be historically bad, which is saying a lot. I am not even sure who is going to play linebacker, and I know what some of you are going to say to that...just stop, you know it's wrong. And the secondary? All right, I think Tribune can be pretty good.

I just can't see us even having a prayer of stopping anyone, and that includes the NDSU and Iowa which are two of the worst teams on the schedule.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
If 3 happens, making football an opt-in forum will seem like a very good idea, and the lengthy clonedude manifestoes will blow out the servers.

I think 3 wins would be a great outcome. There are only 4 possible wins. NDSU, Toledo, KU and WVU. I think NDSU and Toledo are wins. After that? There is little chance against anyone else.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I can't be the only one that think Irving won't be playing for ISU come fall. Maybe that's a **** thing to say but would it shock anyone to wake up and see the news on CF that David is no longer with the team? We are literally hanging by a thread and that thread makes decisions like David Irving...