Cazador or La Fuente

Nov 23, 2008
Norwalk via Marshalltown
Heading up the Ames way in a few hours to meet an old friend for dinner and then hittin the bars. We were thinking Mexican for food. Which one is better? Cazador or La Fuente? Back when I lived in Ames I never got to La Fuente and we only got to Cazador once or twice, that was probably about 7-8 years ago.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Food at La Fuente has always been higher quality, IMO. I've gotten some awful service at Cazador, also.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I would have considered it madness to say anything but La Fuente, but I am liking some El Azteca lately.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
La Fuente by far, even over El Azteca IMO.

El Azteca is so popular that they are opening a 2nd location in North Ames in about a month. Brand new building. They have also expanded their current location by about 30%. I would say based on the fact that La Fuente hasn't painted lately is a pretty good indicator that the mexican food eating public in Ames overwhelmingly prefers El Azteca.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think El Azteca and La Fuente are basically the same, to me anyways, I just prefer La Fuente for some reason.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
I would have considered it madness to say anything but La Fuente, but I am liking some El Azteca lately.

#1 la fuente by far
#2 el azteca

cazador is somewhere down the list....not even sure its #3

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
El Azteca is so popular that they are opening a 2nd location in North Ames in about a month. Brand new building. They have also expanded their current location by about 30%. I would say based on the fact that La Fuente hasn't painted lately is a pretty good indicator that the mexican food eating public in Ames overwhelmingly prefers El Azteca.
You base your food choices on who has painted most recently?

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I don't think I understand the painting thing.

Reactions: 3TrueFans

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Based on which business is putting money back into their business and growth.

But how does that indicate what Ames prefers? And what if they don't need to paint? Fuente spent a ton of money on the new paint and tables just a few years ago? I just may not understand what you're saying, though.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Someone must be an ousted La Fuente insider to have this kind of information.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
La Fuente hasn't reinvested anything into their business. No improvements, etc. They are a stagnant business, IMO.

I think they have stores in Boone and Nevada. They might just be focusing on markets that don't have any competition, rather than a market that is arguably oversaturated. I'm not a Fuente diehard or anything, but their business model has seemed to work for them.