Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Vikes sign Freeman. lol
58630627-lol-reaction.gif

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
ITT: People who don't realize how bad Christian Ponder is.

The offense Freeman will be running is going to be much easier for him and is less demanding on the QB. Schiano was having him throw Manning/Brees/Brady type throws. The Vikings haven't had QBs do much more than throw slants and little dumps off of play action.

It's a one year deal, if he sucks you just don't re sign him and draft another QB. What is the downside?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
NFL Philosophy@NFLosophy29 Sep
That's one of the problems I have with this style of offense: QB gets no rhythm on short throws. Makes them tend to miss easy throws.

This is why I don't completely fault Freeman for his low completion percentages under Schiano/Sullivan. Product of scheme.

RT @bryanbuc1: then why use this scheme of it is so bad? >>It works when there is a run game and with the necessary weapons. See NYG/BAL SBs

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Unbelievable...don't understand this one at all...

Man, being a Vikings fan is just painful sometimes...correction, most times...

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006

The offense Freeman will be running is going to be much easier for him and is less demanding on the QB. Schiano was having him throw Manning/Brees/Brady type throws. The Vikings haven't had QBs do much more than throw slants and little dumps off of play action.

It's a one year deal, if he sucks you just don't re sign him and draft another QB. What is the downside?

That's because they haven't had a QB that could do it since Favre...

I hope you're right that there is no downside but I've never been a fan of Freeman, even in college...

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
That's because they haven't had a QB that could do it since Favre...

I hope you're right that there is no downside but I've never been a fan of Freeman, even in college...

And Ponder couldn't do even that. He was terrible off play action and that was with Adrian Peterson as his RB and 8 men in the box constantly.

Freeman was a stud in 2010 with 25 TDs and 6 INTs. The potential is there, and if it doesn't work out the Vikings are in no worse of a position than they were before signing him.

Last edited:

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
And Ponder couldn't do even that. He was terrible off play action and that was with Adrian Peterson as his RB and 8 men in the box constantly.

Freeman was a stud in 2010 with 25 TDs and 6 INTs. The potential is there, and if it doesn't work out the Vikings are in no worse of a position than they were before signing him.
I'm with you. I think it'd be easy as a non-Vikings fan to laugh at this. I hope it works out. I've been trying to support Ponder, but just when you think he's progressing (last 4 games of the season last year), he takes a step back. I'm not sold on Freeman obviously but I think there is potential.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I'm with you. I think it'd be easy as a non-Vikings fan to laugh at this. I hope it works out. I've been trying to support Ponder, but just when you think he's progressing (last 4 games of the season last year), he takes a step back. I'm not sold on Freeman obviously but I think there is potential.

To be fair, it's easy for any non-viking fan to laugh at what the Vikings do.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Ponder sucks and is not the answer at the QB position. There is no downside to this move. Freeman is going to be very motivated to make this work, because if it doesn't the paychecks are going to be getting substantially smaller and he will probably end up being a 2nd or 3rd string qb...if he's lucky.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Ponder sucks and is not the answer at the QB position. There is no downside to this move. Freeman is going to be very motivated to make this work, because if it doesn't the paychecks are going to be getting substantially smaller and he will probably end up being a 2nd or 3rd string qb...if he's lucky.

Yep. He will be playing for tens of millions of dollars this year. If he does well he will cash in. If not, he won't have much opportunity.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Funny that people are acting like this is a horrible move. Going into this season, Freeman was ranked around the same spot as Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton. Ponder has always been near the bottom. Freeman's upside is astronomically higher than Ponder's.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Funny that people are acting like this is a horrible move. Going into this season, Freeman was ranked around the same spot as Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton. Ponder has always been near the bottom. Freeman's upside is astronomically higher than Ponder's.

How long will it take Freeman to be ready to play? He'll have to learn the new verbiage and isn't exactly known for his work ethic.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
As a Packers fan I like this move for the Vikings. I think Freeman can get them to 6-7 wins and keep the Vikings out of the running for a top pick which they definitely need.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
As a Packers fan I like this move for the Vikings. I think Freeman can get them to 6-7 wins and keep the Vikings out of the running for a top pick which they definitely need.

I think AP is enough to keep the Vikings in the middle of the pack regardless as long as he stays healthy. If Freeman can actually throw a forward pass every so often that might help him stay healthy.

Dino

Mar 26, 2009
Des Moines

The throws in that system aren't necessarily more difficult than other systems, but it does require the QB and WRs to be really in sync. There's actually a fairly small amount of formations and plays but it has the WRs adjust their routes on the fly based on how the defense is playing it. It tends to make for some really ugly looking misfires if the QB and WR read it different and plan for 2 totally different routes.

Works like a charm if the running game's there and everyone's feeling it, (see NYG 2011) or can look brutal if they're out of sync and can't run the ball (see NYG 2013)

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I have no problem signing Freeman. If he doesn't work out, bye bye. But the QB play needs to improve, so why not give it a shot before it gets to the point where AP is gonna want to go somewhere else to have a shot at a super bowl ring. I hope Freeman does a great job for 2 reasons... 1. I don't want to have to draft a QB, because there are so many positions we need to fill in next years draft. 2. I just don't like Ponder. Never have. I was very disappointed and shocked when he went in the first round. I think he would be a decent backup QB, but he is just not a quality starter.

Freeman could be pretty good in this system, so we should at least give him a chance before we want to crucify him. Plus, I really doubt he can be any worse than Ponder.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron