Cardinals Shut Out?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
...in the Hot Stove League?

I thought they were the leaders for Holliday--and didn't get him. I thought Peavy would be great insurance for the health of the other starters, potentially a fab rotation--and that looks like it won't happen. Most of all, I thought they might try to find a closer--but I can't see where that would come from.

I'm fine with them standing pat, relying on young guys, and not tearing the guts out of the farm system again...but I still might have hoped for something. :biggrin:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They need to resign Lopez and have him as the every day SS then pick up a second baseman. I have heard they have interest in O-Dogg... Bullpen help can be easy to find if they are smart but they could definately use one more starter.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Cardinals don't usually spend big buck lately, especially with Pujols, Glaus, and Carpenter's contracts. They'll probably take a flyer on washed up Edgar Renteria to fill their SS hole and sign some veteran 2B again for a 1 year rental then take on a couple projects for their pitching staff.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
The Cards never, ever, ever get any of the big free agents they try to pursue in the offseason. At least it's been that way for the last several years. I would like to see them get Escobar at SS, but they won't. They were close to getting Holliday, but the Rockies wanted too many players. Carpenter likely won't be doing much this year for them so they need to find another starter for the rotation. Probably won't get much.