Big 4 Classic nearing an end?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I still say a better option would be for each school to schedule a non-conference foe and play them at the Well over the weekend. 2 games each day.

What's better, 4 in state schools playing 2 games in 1 day? Or Iowa State-Illinois, Drake-Horizon League school on Saturday and Iowa-Kansas State, UNI-Northern Illinois?

It would be cool, but schools like KSU and Illinois would never agree without a return game of some sort.

UNIPantherFan

Dec 4, 2013
Ames, IA
Ben Jacobson actually said in a radio interview last year that he misses the old format for two reasons: 1. You don't get to play Iowa State and Iowa both every year; 2. He thought it was great experience to get to send the team on the road into a hostile environment like Hilton or Carver every year (instead of playing at the Well which has no college atmosphere). Now I don't think UNI and Drake would want to travel to Ames and Iowa City every year, but I think they would/should seriously consider doing a 2-for-1.

cemarclone

Feb 6, 2014
If the series between these schools does not continue, it is because of Drake and UNI. ISU I am sure would be happy to play all the games in Hilton. But why should a program at ISU's level play a Missour Valley school at their place? I can't imagine that ISU would play any other team in that league are thier place. At least not since Fred turned the program around. ISU does not owe either of these schools anything. Particularly UNI, since they are in many ways even worse than Iowa fans.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
If the series between these schools does not continue, it is because of Drake and UNI. ISU I am sure would be happy to play all the games in Hilton. But why should a program at ISU's level play a Missour Valley school at their place? I can't imagine that ISU would play any other team in that league are thier place. At least not since Fred turned the program around. ISU does not owe either of these schools anything. Particularly UNI, since they are in many ways even worse than Iowa fans.

ISU is finishing year 3 of 2 for 1 with UMKC this season, so I would think doing the same with UNI and Drake would be OK with Fred/JP.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think it's funny that we will schedule an away game with UMKC for our fans in KC but we likely have just as many fans in Des MOines and the Waterloo-CF area. I loved going to the games AT Drake and would much rather play Drake and UNI than a low to medium "high major" school like Auburn or Minnesota

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
If they want to play us, they should be coming to Hilton. We are above playing at small schools like that now.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I think either 2-for-1 or alternating years of playing Drake and UNI so 2 home and 2 road every 4 would each be ok. The important thing is to have some years without a road game to Drake or UNI so another road game could be added and set up more high major home and home series.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Didn't you have to buy a session pass for the Big 4? What sense did that make? You may be able to jack up the session price, but how many stuck around? You don't get the crowds or enthusiasm.

I actually liked the idea of a round-robin thing across the weekend - 3 nights. Capped by the Iowa/ISU game Saturday night

But I'm sure that wouldn't play well with the coaches and would almost definitely necessitate cancelling any other tourney like Hawaii or Puerto Rico - which wouldn't be good.

As for Wells Fargo - I kinda liked the idea of playing that game here. Sorta like Texas/OU always playing at the Cotton Bowl - pseudo neutral site. But I've also only been there once (for a hockey game) and I have to say I thought the venue sucked.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I think it's funny that we will schedule an away game with UMKC for our fans in KC but we likely have just as many fans in Des MOines and the Waterloo-CF area. I loved going to the games AT Drake and would much rather play Drake and UNI than a low to medium "high major" school like Auburn or Minnesota

While I agree with the Auburn game being a gigantic "meh" I would much rather play home and homes with schools like Minnesota in areas we want to recruit the hell out of than playing at UNI or Drake.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Personally, I am embarrassed as an ISU fan that we cancelled both games.

- UNI is part of the same educational system as ISU, we should be supporting them however we can within reason
- UNI game and Drake game are far more interesting than playing NCCUSTA&M State.

You are embarrassed by a basketball teams schedule that you aren't even a part of? Strange priorities. Who's embarrassed by a schedule to begin with? This is such a strange stance in terms of reality that it's mind numbing.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would give two ***** about UNI and Drake. I'm glad the challenge is going to be over, mainly because the TV setup was garbage, but I see no reason to play those two schools anywhere but Hilton. If they want the series so their kids can take their best shot at the schools they wished offered them, so be it, but don't waste the time and effort to play these games in Cedar Falls or Des Moines. ISU isn't traveling to any other mid majors, why should these two schools get a pass just because they are geographically close?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If UNI and Drake are willing to offset the lost revenue by not having the game in Hilton every other year then I say home and home is good. Otherwise hell no.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I hope we go back to playing both schools every year. How many years in a row had we played Drake before this past season (something like 108 or so I think)? A 2 for 1 with both seems like a good deal to me.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Because America is the Land of Opportunity, and we theoretically don't believe in this class-based removal of opportunity.

If the big schools want to keep their spot/prestige, let them continually earn it the same way as everybody else, and level out that playing field.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

The flip-side of that is: Why is fanbase and program that believes every year that they can go in and win at Lawrence/Austin/Waco/Manhattan/Stillwater/Norman so damn agitated over going to UNI and Drake to prove their dominance every couple years. If we continue to have good teams the worst case scenario is that they get embarrassed and it's a wake-up call before the big games start. If we start having ****** teams again, forcing the games to only be at home or not played all together isn't going to fix that.

H

HGPuck

The solution seems relatively straightforward, play both yearly in Hilton and write a check to them for more than we pay other non-conference teams that come to Hilton (which would easily be made up in single game ticket sales compared to the low major non-cons). Most years for us it will be two relatively solid RPI home games. For them it it is a decent check enhanced by a low travel cost. If either Drake or UNI isn't interested that's their prerogative.

One other option I wouldn't be completely against is to play Drake (or UNI) at Hilton every other year and at Wells Fargo the other in a stand alone event. The main problem with the Big 4 Classic is the ticket prices for the double-header. If tickets ranged from $15-40 instead of $25-70 you would get a lot more casual sports fans in Des Moines to attend a game. Everything Iowa State can do to cultivate the Des Moines market is a plus in my book.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
If they want to play us, they should be coming to Hilton. We are above playing at small schools like that now.

How can you say we're above them when we can't even beat them consistently? The sense of entitlement people have after just 3 good seasons is insane.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I can tell you that UNI will not do a 2 for 1. Its home and home or nothing. We've shown over and over that we can build an at large quality schedule without needing Iowa and/or Iowa State.

I'd love to see the home and home come back with Iowa State and never play Iowa again, but after this setup I think most UNI fans realize that neither one is ever coming back to Cedar Falls again. Fran and Barta took care of that.

UNI does play a guarantee game once every 3 or 4 years, but I would think what we command may be cost prohibitive for Iowa State ($200k from Syracuse in 2010 and $225k from Virginia last year). Doesn't make any sense for Iowa State when you can get the Northern Illinois and UMKCs of the world for $50k.

The only hope from a UNI perspective is the great relationship Jake and Fred have. That might be enough, along with Fred's Iowa ties, to put these series back to how they were...