Best Iowa State point guard

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
You all are ignoring the elephant in the room: Royce White.

;)
He was PG half the time his only year. I’ll allow it. Don’t remember the game but whizzed an almost full court bounce pass for a layup. It’s on a highlight reel somewhere, was it an NCAA tournament game?

• Agree
Reactions: SeventhSon

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
With Tamin entering the ranks. I still think Tinsley is the best ever while at Iowa State. Haliburton will obviously be the all time best Cyclone. This Tinsley dribbling highlight is still one of the best ever plays at Iowa State

This Tinsley video is similar and right up there with "The Run" by Seneca Wallace versus Texas Tech.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Some not all of his turnovers were his teammates not being ready for a ridiculous pass that no other human would have made.
I think it's fine to admit Tinsley was pretty careless with the ball at times. He was. But that carefree attitude led to some of the most amazing plays you will ever see someone make in an ISU uniform. We had a guy pulling off moves you only see on And1 mix-tapes and winning high major basketball while doing it. It was awesome and truly unique IMO.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Love(d) Tinsley. But there was that one ill-advised layup he missed.
That team wasn't going anywhere anyway. That missed layup was just a symptom of the illness.

Now, the frosted tip year was a different story. That team could have made a run.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
That team wasn't going anywhere anyway. That missed layup was just a symptom of the illness.

Now, the frosted tip year was a different story. That team could have made a run.
That team was literally out of gas. Gifted a 2 seed because was screwed out of 1 seed year before. I just wanted them to eek out that 1st round.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ and madguy30

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My top five would go :

A) Tinsley
B) Monte
C) Hornacek
D) Hali
E) Blalock.

Hali just wasn't here quite long enough and played on some pretty bad teams. I gave Kane some consideration but he kind of split PG duties with Monte and played off the ball alot.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Tinsley
Morris
Haliburton

Tyrese will be the best pro ever from Iowa State and while he was really good in his sophomore season, he was still just scratching the surface of his potential. Didn't help that his year was cut short by the wrist injury.

Monte was on a different level by the end of his senior season. That Big 12 tourney title run was legendary in 2017.

Tinsley was the best ever though.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Not only point guards, I think Tinsley is a top 3 player to ever play at Iowa State. Take him off the teams he was on and I don't think they achieve anywhere near the level success they had.

Runner-up national player of the year in 2001. First team All-American in 2001 (1 of 4 in Iowa State's history). Also owns Iowa State records for assists per game and steals per game (over their career).

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron