BBQ Grill Sale? and whiskey

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
I am looking for a new grill in Ames, I was told by people I work with to wait until fall because they normally go on sale. Anyone know about when this happens? I'd like to get a few nice weather uses of it before it has to go in the garage.

Also, looking for a new whiskey to go on the rocks while I am grilling. Generally like Jameson when it comes to on the rocks but would like to add a bit of diversity.

(I added BBQ to the title to avoid Paul Wall confusion)

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
Think grills are on sale now....Lowes is letting them fly off the lot.

I checked Lowes on Tuesday and they didn't seem to have any sales at that time, prices were still the same as beginning of summer. In Ames anyway.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Highly recommend a Weber. I have had a dozen or so gas grills since the early 90's and the Weber 330 I have puts all of prior ones to shame.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Black Velvet Toasted Caramel on the rocks is my go-to now. It's not super expensive either. Jameson is unmatched.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I was in the same situation last fall. My experience was that the grills really don't go on sale during the fall. Grill manufacturers often have sales during holidays (Memorial / Labor Day weekends), but usually the big box guys usually just put the grills away and bring them out again next Spring.

Occasionally when a manufacturer updates a model, the previous version will go on sale too.

I ended up waiting until this Spring, bought a Broilmaster. It was pretty expensive, but it puts to shame every grill I have ever had and most of it has a lifetime warranty!

JohnnyKilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 1, 2011
LeClaire, IA
If you are looking for a good whiskey - you should try the products from Mississippi River Distilling Co out of LeClaire, IA. Awesome rye and bourbon... also Iowa State grads - I believe Ryan Burchett was actually Cy during his stint at ISU.

http://www.mrdistilling.com/

Last edited:

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
If you are looking for a good whiskey - you should try the products from Mississippi River Distilling Co out of LeClaire, IA. Awesome rye and bourbon... also Iowa State grads - I believe Ryan Burchett was actually Cy during his stint at ISU.

I have heard of those guys, I'd like to find a place in Ames to try that out.

I have been keeping an eye online for grills too, I am not a total cheap *** but if something is going to go on sale I'd like to use the opportunity to get more for my money.

I haven't tried toasted caramel yet, I've heard good things, is that whiskey or whiskey liquer though?

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
If you are going to stop when your fingers are cold, then you're doing it wrong.

I don't plan on stopping when my fingers are cold, but it will move from my patio to my garage when the snow starts flying so I can grill under cover with the door slightly open

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Highly recommend a Weber. I have had a dozen or so gas grills since the early 90's and the Weber 330 I have puts all of prior ones to shame.

Finally got on the Weber train this year myself and have been very happy with it. That said, I don't know that they really ever go on sale, so when you are ready to buy just go out and do it!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Are you looking for a charcoal or gas grill?

I use a Weber charcoal kettle grill and just love it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Weber smokey mountain, Weber charcoal grill(s), and Weber stainless Genesis owner checking in here.

Weber's don't really go on sale but I like to buy stuff that isn't cheap thin crap.

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
Are you looking for a charcoal or gas grill?

I use a Weber charcoal kettle grill and just love it.

I'd like to have both, I'd use the gas grill a lot more though. I typically like to be able to cook fast, otherwise I drink too many whiskeys or eat too much chips and salsa before my meal is complete.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby