Bama<OK State

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Okay, so let me start by saying that I'm for a 4 team playoff so none of this should matter. But I am sick of hearing everyone in the media spouting off a load of garbage now that Bama won about how they were clearly the right choice etc etc and justifying the BCS system today.

I just heard on KC 810 AM sports radio one of these experts say that Oklahoma State's schedule doesn't compare to what Bama had to play.

OH REALLY?

I decided to run down the numbers on that load of crap as we all saw the Big 12 record against non conference opponents this season.

In the final AP poll Bama played the following:
#2 loss
#2 win

OK State played:
#13 win
#15 win
#16 win
#7 win

Of their opponents 8 of Bama's were bowl elligible going 4-3 in their bowl games. (Note I'm not including Georgia Southern's D2 post season run)

Of their opponents 9 of OK states opponents went to Bowls going 6-3.

Tell me exactly what makes Bama so far head and shoulders above everyone else? Yes, Okie State had one non-top 25 loss to us. However to say they are way out of their league compared to Bama because of one game is silly.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Bama (a team with no conf title, etc) had to beat LSU once on a neutral field to win the NC.

LSU had to beat Bama at home once, and then on a neutral field.

The system completely sucks *** and this year (along with many others) is a perfect example.

The good news....the world can thank ISU for screwing it all up!

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Okay, so let me start by saying that I'm for a 4 team playoff so none of this should matter. But I am sick of hearing everyone in the media spouting off a load of garbage now that Bama won about how they were clearly the right choice etc etc and justifying the BCS system today.

I just heard on KC 810 AM sports radio one of these experts say that Oklahoma State's schedule doesn't compare to what Bama had to play.

OH REALLY?

I decided to run down the numbers on that load of crap as we all saw the Big 12 record against non conference opponents this season.

In the final AP poll Bama played the following:
#2 loss
#2 win

OK State played:
#13 win
#15 win
#16 win
#7 win

Of their opponents 8 of Bama's were bowl elligible going 4-3 in their bowl games. (Note I'm not including Georgia Southern's D2 post season run)

Of their opponents 9 of OK states opponents went to Bowls going 6-3.

Tell me exactly what makes Bama so far head and shoulders above everyone else? Yes, Okie State had one non-top 25 loss to us. However to say they are way out of their league compared to Bama because of one game is silly.

To say that Bama<Ok State is equally, if not more, silly.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Okie Lite could maybe beat Alabama 1 out of 10 tries based solely on the "eyeball test." They'd be lucky to score 10 points against that defense (ours held them to 17 in regulation with basically the worst pass rush in the Big 12). Did you happen to see the Alabama pass rush last night? Unstoppable.

On the other side of the ball, it's completely laughable to think Okie State's merely average defense could consistently get stops against the Tide (or LSU for that matter).

LSU and Alabama would both have bludgeoned the Cowboys.

With that all being said, the system clearly sucks and I agree with you that it should be decided on the field.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
I'd say Bama=LSU>Okie St..........I thought OSU was good but not great. Bama and LSU will have a minimum of about 10-12 players apiece that will be playing on Sundays.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Right now, I'd say Bama = LSU = OSU. That is the only fair conclusion that can be drawn.

How can you say that right now Bama = LSU? Bama just man handled LSU LAST NIGHT! I'm not going to get into the arguments of who deserved to play last night, but it is fact that 1) Bama played a football game last night against LSU and 2) Bama won that game, so as of right now, Bama would be better than LSU. On November 5, LSU was better, on January 9, Bama was better. Also, Bama's D would of given Oklahoma State fits last night, and their offense would have scored more than 21 points on Oklahoma States defense.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Okie St. barely being able to beat Stanford doesn't help their case any.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
OSU would have scored more than LSU did! They would also have gotten more turnovers.

I just wish I could have seen them play each other. I think the Cowboys would have beaten LSU, but I doubt Alabama.

But you don't want to base a NC on what I think, because I'd give it to West Virginia based on their cartoonish beatdown of Clemson. I'm not kidding: I don't think Bugs Bunny scored that many against the Gashouse Gorillas.

Which is why championships should be based on games played, not games not played.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
OSU would be BY FAR the best offense Alabama has seen. Oklahoma State was #4 in total offense, the best offense Alabama saw all year was Arkansas at #28. After Arkansas you have to go down to LSU at #57 to find the next best offense... Iowa State finished at #54.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I'll admit that Bama played very good defense last night. But you can't convince me that they would have done the same thing to OSU. The LSU offense was just terrible with absoultely no vertical pass game threat. It's pretty easy to defend that.