Back-up for Woody

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We have been riding Jeff Woody at full-back for several years. Who is his back-up next year? Do we have anyone red-shirting this year? Or any recruits on the horizon?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Ehh. He isn't really a fullback. He's a power RB. I think once he is gone we just eliminate his "position". He's a good player and we use him because we have him.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Ehh. He isn't really a fullback. He's a power RB. I think once he is gone we just eliminate his "position". He's a good player and we use him because we have him.

Agree for the most part. Definitely isn't a fullback, but is a power back. We don't necessarily need a running back in the future with his size, but we definitely still need guys who run very hard and work for extra yards

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I myself would like to see a 5-10 210 shifty fast guy to complement the smaller backs that we have. Someone that can break one but usually grinds out the tough yards.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Huh? Whether you want to call him a fullback or not, are you serious that you don't think we need a big, short yardage back once Woody is gone?

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Also, I'm still keeping an open mind with class of 2013 recruit Justin Webster, most likely will play linebacker, but I wouldn't be surprised if he played running back. He's already 220, and probably will easily put on 10-20 more pounds.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Huh? Whether you want to call him a fullback or not, are you serious that you don't think we need a big, short yardage back once Woody is gone?

Several of the tight ends that we have been getting and will continue to get have been or will be recruited by other schools as full backs. And it really shouldn't be that hard for a smaller running back who runs hard to be able to get a few yards if the line does their job

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

There are plenty of productive offenses without a big back for short yardage. We don't line up in the I-formation. Sometimes being quick to the hole (actually, I'd say at least 50% of the time) is more important that power. Especially when him coming in is basically a huge warning sign saying "RUN BETWEEN THE TACKLES". I have always been just as confident in White and SJ (when he doesn't try to bounce it outside all the time) as I have been in Woody.

Also, if you want to find someone who is capable of doing that, Emmanuel Bibbs is your guy. OU wanted him as basically an H-back. They were going to have him play TE and FB. Maybe we have similar plans, who knows.

But the value of big, bruising backs in our offense is easily seen by our recruiting efforts to get one. We have never given a scholarship out of high school to one. Woody was a walk on and happened to just be phenomenal at that role.

Last edited:

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
We don't use a fullback and handing the ball off to a slow bruiser out of the spread is a disaster. How many short yardage situations did Woody actually convert this year? Not saying it is Woody's fault but handing him the ball in the zone read doesn't really work.

So no I'm not worried about Woody's replacement.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
But the value of big, bruising backs in our offense is easily seen by our recruiting efforts to get one. We have never given a scholarship out of high school to one. Woody was a walk on and happened to just be phenomenal at that role.

I've noticed that we haven't had this kind of player recently, except for Woody, but didn't know that it was so intentional.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We don't use a fullback and handing the ball off to a slow bruiser out of the spread is a disaster. How many short yardage situations did Woody actually convert this year? Not saying it is Woody's fault but handing him the ball in the zone read doesn't really work.

Often this year, we didn't really use Woody to run north/south. For instance, we had him stepping sideways in the endzone and then he gets caught for the safety against Tulsa. Seems like we did this a lot with him this year.

It seemed like he had a more vital role in the previous year, such as against Okie State and at the end against Rutgers.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
Often this year, we didn't really use Woody to run north/south. For instance, we had him stepping sideways in the endzone and then he gets caught for the safety against Tulsa. Seems like we did this a lot with him this year.

It seemed like he had a more vital role in the previous year, such as against Okie State and at the end against Rutgers.

I think Cyclone nation collectively has remembered the Okie State win with Woody plowing through their D and just assumed it has happened since. Which really isn't the case. Although, he did run well against KU this year.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I was a little worried about the H-Back role. Outside of Woody, we don't really have a lead blocker now that Hammer and Howard are gone. Maybe Bibbs fits that mold...seems likely if OU wanted him to play that. I've always hoped that Webster would be the eventual replacement for Woody, but maybe he's too valuable at LB. They definitely have a need there too. Seems like the younger TEs (Richardson and Leslie) are more receiving threats than blockers.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Woody runs well when we get him going north/south out of the pistol. The zone read does not suit his talents well and our continual insistence on using him in that capacity demonstrates the offensive staff's inability to play to the strengths of the guys we have.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I don't think they were, but correct me if I'm wrong, those runs in the okie st game weren't zone reads, Woody does best running downhill, life Weisman for iowa. Woody didn't get many Carries this year, maybe injuries were worse then publicized, but i don't think they force someone into his role unless the right player comes along. Continue to use quicker backs that can catch.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Our offense could be very successful without a guy that has Woody's power. In saying that I wish our running backs were more complete. By that I mean still quick but also with the power to run between the tackles better. I'm not talking about Woody sized backs, but if you look at some spread offenses, such as Baylor, they have backs around 215 or 220 that can use their power.

cyclonepop

May 10, 2010
Pleasant Hill, Ia
I don't think they were, but correct me if I'm wrong, those runs in the okie st game weren't zone reads, Woody does best running downhill, life Weisman for iowa. Woody didn't get many Carries this year, maybe injuries were worse then publicized, but i don't think they force someone into his role unless the right player comes along. Continue to use quicker backs that can catch.

The injuries were NOT an issue this year. He was ready and able to play most of the time as evidenced in when they DO put him in....he gains positive yards....is ready to go again, and they pull him out. We have a offense that does not know how to utilize running backs successfully like other teams do. When you have so many of them like we do, not one of them will "shine" like others do in the conference simply because NONE of them get a LOT of carries. Its all split between them all. Our linemen like being able to block for that short bit where a back can gain 4-8 yds / carry. So when you add a back who jumps around back there looking for a large hole, the linemen have lost the timing for that hole and it has filled in.
I always taught and pressed upon jeff to gain 4-8 yards a carry minimum, and no-one will fault you for any of that. He has always tried to maintain that. When they do let him in, and he gets those yards....they pull him out. Just doesnt make sense how they utilize the backs and the abilities they have.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I do not think using Woody as a primary ball-carrier is a magic-bullet for the offense, but he needs to be on the field more to be effective. His main value is his versatility, and the versatility he therefore should give the offense. He is a better zone-read guy than one would think, but our scheme-wide implementation of the zone-read is so flawed that is irrelevant. Re-watching the games on cyclones.tv, there are so many things wrong with the offense it is sickening.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

How many did he convert last year? That was a spread offense as well and it worked out pretty well giving it to Woody on 3rd or 4th and short.

I think having a larger power back has a place in this offense. It is always good to give defenses many different looks and personnel to have to scheme for; and if they have a problem with one combination - exploit it!