Austin Texas Hotels for Weekend of ISU vs Texas game

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
Planning on making this the road-trip game of the year. Anyone have their hotels already booked? Are there any Cyclones in the Austin area with Hotel recommendations near the stadium and bars/restaurants? Don't have tickets yet either, I imagine that they aren't hard to get at a venue that size.

Thanks for any help.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
We stayed at the Embassy Suites a couple years back when we beat UT in Austin. The staff was great and the shuttle took us downtown and picked us up as needed, which was great. The bad part was my wife and daughter getting things thrown at them from the hotel balcony by kids as they walked back in that night wearing their Cyclone gear. The hotel staff did a nice job of dealing with it though.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's not close to the stadium but the strip of little motels in south Austin is pretty unique and fun if you're the kind of person who likes hanging out in a quirky neighborhood.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Planning on making this the road-trip game of the year. Anyone have their hotels already booked? Are there any Cyclones in the Austin area with Hotel recommendations near the stadium and bars/restaurants? Don't have tickets yet either, I imagine that they aren't hard to get at a venue that size.

Thanks for any help.

I stayed in the AT&T Conference Center when we visited Austin and it was excellent. Great hotel, our window looked out over the Texas Capitol and you're only a 10 minute walk to the football stadium. I would highly recommend it.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I got a hotel a bit more out of town. Its up near Southwestern University.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
Downtown Hilton and Sheraton are about the only decent options value wise that weekend unless you want to stay in North Austin. Last I saw both the Hilton & Sheraton were about $350 per night. Tickets will be easier to come by than a downtown hotel room.

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
Is a downtown hotel about the only option for being within walking distance to the bars? Basically going to be 4 recent alums who have never been to Austin, so the allure of the bar scene there is what we are going to be going for on Friday night and Saturday after the game.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
Is a downtown hotel about the only option for being within walking distance to the bars? Basically going to be 4 recent alums who have never been to Austin, so the allure of the bar scene there is what we are going to be going for on Friday night and Saturday after the game.

Unless someone get to be the designated driver, I would highly recommend a downtown hotel. There are many to choose from but on game weekends, prices are sky high. Count on spending at least $350 for a modest room. If budget is not an issue I would recommend staying at the W or the Four Seasons if they are still available. Great location for both hotels, stumbling distance from the whole 6th street thing.

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
I'm making the trip and staying with a friend that lives close to campus. Is there a Cyclone bar in the area? Just thought I'd ask...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Downtown Hilton and Sheraton are about the only decent options value wise that weekend unless you want to stay in North Austin. Last I saw both the Hilton & Sheraton were about $350 per night. Tickets will be easier to come by than a downtown hotel room.

There is a metro red line train that comes out of Leander that goes to heart of downtown Austin and Darrell Royal Stadium. An option to avoid driving if you hang out in NW Austin hotel.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We stayed at the Super 8 on the east side of 35 across from downtown and the stadium in 2010. Kinda dumpy, but cheap, and our car stayed there the whole weekend.
Pretty easy walk across the interstate to the bar scene.

AustinCy

Oct 19, 2010
Austin, TX
There is a metro red line train that comes out of Leander that goes to heart of downtown Austin and Darrell Royal Stadium. An option to avoid driving if you hang out in NW Austin hotel.

While the MetroRail is nice to get downtown, there are not every many hotels close to any stations. And no, the MetroRail (unfortunately) does not come close to DKR or campus because it uses existing tracks. The closest station is MLK which is 1.5 miles to the east and not the best neighborhood to be in after a late night game ;-) The rail *does* end downtown on 4th St. in front of the Convention Center (also 1.5 mi. due south of DKR) . . . but the last train leaves back north at midnight so you'd have to hustle from the game not to mention miss 2 hrs before last call.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I cannot find the other ISU/Texas thread but I recall someone posting that the ISU tailgate down there is actually a lot of fun and a pretty good party. Can anyone confirm? I believe it's this one:

http://www.isualum.org/en/events/2014_road_football_tailgate/

The ISU tailgate is fantastic, but I think your link is not to the same event. This is one I've gone to the last few years, and it is supremely incredible:

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/iowa-state-texas-football-bbq-tailgate-tickets-12611718991?aff=mcivte

AustinCy

Oct 19, 2010
Austin, TX
I cannot find the other ISU/Texas thread but I recall someone posting that the ISU tailgate down there is actually a lot of fun and a pretty good party. Can anyone confirm? I believe it's this one:

http://www.isualum.org/en/events/2014_road_football_tailgate/

Well, that's the ISU Alumni Assoc. indoor tailgate that starts at 4p. $20 (ISUAA member) or $30 (non) for the catered BBQ and cash bar. I think what you're talking about is the ISU Club of Austin's tailgate we did in 2010 and 2012 on that private 10,000 sq ft private lot a few blocks south of DKR.

Yes, it is happening again ;-) I'm actually having a final org mtg after work here with the chief (Tom) of the same BBQ team we have partnered with. UT *finally* took our $800 lot pmt a couple weeks ago (yes, the lot price went up another freakin' $160 since the 2012 party :mad:) so I figured just waiting to promote next week after the Iowa game hype was passed.

But same deal - you pay to get on on our fenced lot from 11a to 11p. Once you get a wristband you can come and go as you please. But with that we supply brisket and sausage smoked up right there overnight (no catered crap). And most importantly FREE BEER for that 12 hours (or at least until game time if supply gets low). We'll have bigscreen TVs for the games, our own BRs, security to keep the peace with Horns folks - stuff that I myself, some other ISU folks and the BBQ team have already coughed out of our pockets so ISU folks have SOMEPLACE to party all day among the sea of burnt orange. No profits here, just want to break even at the end of the day. And any actual proceeds go to the BBQ team's charity.

Here's the sneak peek at our ticket page with the FAQ about tickets, BBQ, beer, parking, etc, etc.

http://isu-texas-tailgate2014.eventbrite.com

Seriously, I keep having to convince people this until they get down here and see: You will NOT be able to set up your own tailgate anywhere else within a MILE of DKR. Longhorn tailgating starts Friday regardless of gametime and is massive vs. very limited space in an enormous downtown campus. This is why the price keeps going up.

Last edited:

AustinCy

Oct 19, 2010
Austin, TX

Thanks for any help.

Sadly, hotel occupancy has been a BIG problem in Austin with such huge growth. Once the Formula One int'l race was recently awarded to Austin as the U.S. city on the circuit they finally started permitting for more.

Looks like most of the downtown hotels are booked already. And I think I now see why. The Lance Armstrong Foundation's annual LIVEstrong bike race and marathon is over the same weekend. About 52K participants estimated (regardless what you think of Lance, his cancer fundraising is still a big deal around here). Luckily that starts downtown and all goes south away from UT campus. But that means you're cabbing now instead of crawling to get to the game or the 200+ downtown bars**

Your next bet (that I see available) are the string of hotels 3.5 miles up I-35 around the 290 overpass. Do not go much further past Hwy 183 overpass - unless you want to party with hookers and addicts (and cops ;-) No hotels until way up in Round Rock or another 5 mi. NE around 183 and Mopac/Hwy 1 Arboretum. Your next bet are hotels 5 mi. south along the I-35/71 overpass. Lots of cabs (and pedicabs), but sadly city council banned Uber down here.

**Btw, there are plenty of better bar districts near "Dirty Sixth". Rainey St District, 5th St, 4th St (Warehouse), Congress, West 6th, Market and even EAST 6th (dive) bar district on the east side of I-35. Watch your wallet pocket on Dirty 6th. Frankly a mix of underage college kids and dropout wannabe thugs these days (many out-of-towners, of course). Locals just go to all the other nearby districts like Rainey St - a bunch of old, small historical homes whose exteriors by zoning laws could not be leveled or altered. So a bunch of theme bars/lounges bought them out and remodeled the insides and back yards with bars and stages.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sadly, hotel occupancy has been a BIG problem in Austin with such huge growth. Once the Formula One int'l race was recently awarded to Austin as the U.S. city on the circuit they finally started permitting for more.

Looks like most of the downtown hotels are booked already. And I think I now see why. The Lance Armstrong Foundation's annual LIVEstrong bike race and marathon is over the same weekend. About 52K participants estimated (regardless what you think of Lance, his cancer fundraising is still a big deal around here). Luckily that starts downtown and all goes south away from UT campus. But that means you're cabbing now instead of crawling to get to the game or the 200+ downtown bars**

Your next bet (that I see available) are the string of hotels 3.5 miles up I-35 around the 290 overpass. Do not go much further past Hwy 183 overpass - unless you want to party with hookers and addicts (and cops ;-) No hotels until way up in Round Rock or another 5 mi. NE around 183 and Mopac/Hwy 1 Arboretum. Your next bet are hotels 5 mi. south along the I-35/71 overpass. Lots of cabs (and pedicabs), but sadly city council banned Uber down here.

**Btw, there are plenty of BETTER bar districts near "Dirty Sixth". Rainey St District, 5th St, 4th St (Warehouse), Congress, West 6th, Market and even EAST 6th (dive) bar district on the east side of I-35. Watch your wallet pocket on Dirty 6th.

Since its so hard to get a room you should open up the doors of your own home to a weekend of drunken clone fans. A little bnb $ side gig.

AustinCy

Oct 19, 2010
Austin, TX
Since its so hard to get a room you should open up the doors of your own home to a weekend of drunken clone fans. A little bnb $ side gig.

Mi casa ya esta LLENA with drunken ISU friends flying in every two years ;-) Besides I live some 20 miles from UT campus and downtown. No bueno :skeptical: