Assistant Coach Possibilities Thread

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Re: Asst. BB Coach's

Have you tried to look up anything at all?

TJ Otz is on as Asst. Head Coach. Nurse is gone, Grayer may or may not be, depending on who you're reading. Anything else is pure speculation and isn't really based in fact.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny

Fred knows, and I'm sure that's about it. A bunch of people on here will throw out what they "think", but where does that get you? A guaranteed piece of **** in a box... :biggrin:

Reactions: clones_jer

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Hopefully no Grayer. With as much as experience as Fred brings, I would think we need assistants with at least a few years of coaching.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames

TJ and Grayer are both still listed for 2010-2011 on cyclones.com.

Rutter and Nurse are not listed anymore.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

My guess is Rutter will end up at Creighton. GMAC is the only coach listed on the CU website, one of Altman's assistants Brian Fish is going to OU and Darian Devries hasn't decided, although he has indicated he would like to stay at CU. Erik Crawford is going with GMAC in the same role.

Last edited:

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

Grayer will be sticking around. Confirmed.

clone4lyfe

May 21, 2008
West Des Moines

TJ and Grayer are both still listed for 2010-2011 on cyclones.com.

Rutter and Nurse are not listed anymore.

This.

I went out to look earlier and noticed that TJ and Grayer were still listed as coaches but the others were no longer on cyclones.com but neither is Hoiberg.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009

I think Grayer will be a big help in recruiting the Michigan area. He also can relate some NBA experience. I'm glad he's being kept on.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Re: The Perfect Tex Winters for Freddy's staff

Hell No!

Someone on Miller and Deace nailed it dead on when they mentioned Jim Hallihan. That's the guy.

I think that makes sense too. A world of experience, an X's and O's guy, a return to the style of play that made Hilton rock. Johnny wanted him to take over the head spot when he left, so he's obviously well thought of.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

That's just crazy enough that it might work! I do agree that Hoiberg will need a veteran assistant to help him through the transition. A former HC would be the best option. Maybe a Dan Monson?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

I don't know that it's even remotely a possiblity.

But I LOVE that idea. A year or two with Dr Tom would be absolutely amazing.

No recruiting, just on court coaching/game planning.

It would be tremendous hire.

Where is Dr Tom nowadays? Still in DSM?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Dr. Tom would be an absolute asset to this program. Knows the state, knows big-time college ball. The biggest knock on him was he couldn't really recruit. That's why many feel his best years were his first couple with George Raveling's guys (a man that could recruit, but didn't excel at coaching).

We have a good recruiter on staff. It's a must an excellent Xs/Os coach is added or IMO, this will for sure fail. Even with an experienced assistant this is a huge risk, but the right assistants can make this easier to swallow - somewhat.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

I think the guy is Steve Krafcism. We need someone to coach bigs. Steve has a ton of knowledge. Coached under Johnny. Coaching womens basketball right now but still has contacts.
Probably not going to happen but I would not mind it.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona

This is probably the greatest idea I've heard today. I would love to see Dr. Tom mentoring Freddie.