Add Louisville now with Big East imploding

Whin4Cy

Mar 7, 2008
Iowa
I think people are fogetting Notre Dame. If Big East is going down, where will Notre Dame play all their other sports? Big 12 would suddenly look a lot more attractive!

Big 12 with Notre Dame, Louisville, and ?? (choose between Cincy, TCU, Houston) would make a great conference. Not a big fan of adding BYU as they are not very close to the rest of the conference (geographically speaking) and I have a tough time seeing them in the Big 12.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Kirk Bohls just said that Texas is headed to the PAC 12. I just hate this. It's such a mess and doesn't make any sense and just plain sucks.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
How can the Big 12 and Big East both implode?

Seriously, can both of these conferences implode? That is a LOT of teams for other conferences to absorb.

I think that only one of these conferences will be gone... either the Big 12 or Big East, but not both.

So if OU and Texas can just kiss and make up, we could potentially become a great super conference. The Big East looks like they are just about done for, so why would we even be thinking about reaching out to them right now?

The Big 12 needs to go out and grab Louisville, BYU, and TCU right away IMO. That gets us back to 12. And then look into adding teams like Air Force, Cincy, New Mexico, and Houston to get to 16.

I know that New Mexico isn't brought up much, but they do have a pretty large TV market in Albuquerqe and Santa Fe.

I just don't see how both of these conferences fall apart? One of them, yes, but not both.

LZclone

Oct 2, 2008
Mahomet IL via Laurens IA
Re: How can the Big 12 and Big East both implode?

The idea... apparently is 4 - 16 team superconferences. The ACC, SEC, B1G and Pac 16.

IF this happens Iowa State WILL be 1 of the schools left without a chair when the music stops.

On a side note, I don't want this to happen, but the writing is on the wall.

hiwhatis

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, IA

Well if the ACC adds UConn and Rutgers the Big East is going to be in trouble. If that happens I could definitely see the Big 12 going after Louisville and West Virginia hard along with maybe Cincinatti, BYU, South Florida, TCU, and Boise State. Heck if we added all 7 we could have our own super conference! I'd like to take 3 of those teams though and have a solid 12 team conference again. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds though.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York

Its easy. You take the basketball only teams out of the Big East and put them in the A10. THen your left with Cincy,L'ville,TCU,USF,Rutgers, WVU and UConn from the BE and ISU,KU,KSU,MU and Baylor from the Big12. If you only take these teams and leave ND out thats 9 teams that could find a home out of the 12

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

The idea... apparently is 4 - 16 team superconferences. The ACC, SEC, B1G and Pac 16.

IF this happens Iowa State WILL be 1 of the schools left without a chair when the music stops.

I'm really afraid you might be right. This is just stupid that a great athletic conference like the Big 12 is falling apart. Just terrible leadership. If anything, a powerhouse conference like the Big 12 should be poaching other conferences teams, not the other way around. Beebe is just an idiot.

Why didn't the 10 Big 12 teams remaining after NE and CO left just agree to something like a 50 million dollar penalty to any team wanting to leave?

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

I think the lynchpin is what does notre dame do with its non football sports when the big east disintegrates.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Iowa State is not going to be the only school left without a chair.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Iowa State is not going to be the only school left without a chair.

No, but we will be one of them. We have nothing to offer anyone except the fact that 40,000+ fans fill our stadium for every home game. That's it. But that won't cut it. Not by a longshot.

We offer about 100 TV sets, sarcastically speaking. The only way we get picked up is in some kind of package deal IMO. If we're on our own, we're screwed.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

No, but we will be one of them. We have nothing to offer anyone except the fact that 40,000+ fans fill our stadium for every home game. That's it. But that won't cut it. Not by a longshot.

We offer about 100 TV sets, sarcastically speaking. The only way we get picked up is in some kind of package deal IMO. If we're on our own, we're screwed.

I wouldn't hinge on it.

Big East will remain as a conference, just not a football oriented one. It will be an even BETTER home for ND as football independents at that point since football scheduling will no longer be an issue with their participation.

I know the Big East was to have their TV contract renegotiated in November. Something tells me there are many parties interested in seeing to it that Big East Football is dead by then, one way or the other. They will become Atlantic 10 II.

ljhlax

Dec 14, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI

Seriously, can both of these conferences implode? That is a LOT of teams for other conferences to absorb.

I think that only one of these conferences will be gone... either the Big 12 or Big East, but not both.

So if OU and Texas can just kiss and make up, we could potentially become a great super conference. The Big East looks like they are just about done for, so why would we even be thinking about reaching out to them right now?

The Big 12 needs to go out and grab Louisville, BYU, and TCU right away IMO. That gets us back to 12. And then look into adding teams like Air Force, Cincy, New Mexico, and Houston to get to 16.

I know that New Mexico isn't brought up much, but they do have a pretty large TV market in Albuquerqe and Santa Fe.

I just don't see how both of these conferences fall apart? One of them, yes, but not both.

I would just like to point out that ESPN went with Boise State / Toledo on ESPN and Iowa State / UConn on ESPN2 on Friday. Last year's Big East Conference Champion and a Big 12 team coming off a dramatic triple overtime rivalry upset were on the deuce while Boise State playing a MAC team was on ESPN.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

chicken-little.jpg

Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

52342cyclone

Sep 13, 2011
Toledo, IA
I don't think anyone cares about academics right now. its all money, money, money. survival = ADDING TEAMS!! COME ON DOWN LOUISVILLE, TCU, AND SOUTH FLORIDA OR BYU. I'd personally rather fly to Florida and watch a game than go to Provo,Utah. good luck finding a bar there to enjoy some refreshments.

Sevey

Jun 16, 2007
Adel

Whose idea is this? Only the media has come up with that scenario. No one who is a credible source has mentioned this possibility. All speculation.

LZclone

Oct 2, 2008
Mahomet IL via Laurens IA

Whose idea is this? Only the media has come up with that scenario. No one who is a credible source has mentioned this possibility. All speculation.

While I agree, why would you add teams 13 (SEC) or 13 and 14 (ACC)?? You only need 12 teams to have a conference championship game. Additional teams would just take away from the current revenue pool, unless these 4 16 team league championships become the play in to a 4 team playoff.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron