A midsummer debate: Returners vs Newcomers, who wins?

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
Since it is the dog days of summer for sports fans and there isn't much else to discuss right now, why not discuss who would win in a game between the top five returning players from last year, and the five incoming players that are already on campus.

Setup: 30 min game, 5 man rosters (No Subs), CFH is coaching both teams.

Rosters:

Returners
Morris
Long
Thomas
Hogue
Niang

Newcomers
Custer
Cooke
BDJ
Nader
McKay

I think its a pretty close game to be honest. Obviously there are a lot more question marks for the newcomers than for the returning players, but I think they are able to pull it out by a nose due in large part to the mismatch with either Long or Thomas left to guard BDJ.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I think the newcomers have more firepower all-around, but is it enough to beat a Georges-led team? It would be close.

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
That would be a great game. It could come down to a Naz Long clutch 3 pointer to win the game. The newcomers almost have more talent across the board.

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
Given that we just had an article talking about how much Hoiberg focuses on chemistry in his coaching, I think the answer is obviously the returners for the simple fact that they've played more together.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I would imagine this game has already been played alot at Soukup.

For my money, give me the new guys.

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
Given that we just had an article talking about how much Hoiberg focuses on chemistry in his coaching, I think the answer is obviously the returners for the simple fact that they've played more together.

True. Due to the fact they played together they would be better able to play off of eachother. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of if they met each other midseason with CFH coaching both teams the whole way. The newcomers would probably be able to gel and develop suitabe chemistry simply because every Hoiberg team so far has done just that.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
That'd be a heck of a game. Newcomers probably have more talent, but I think the returners pull it off simply due to experience from playing together last year.

This could be a really fun thread to revisit 6 months from now.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I think this is a fairly easy returns win. Don't see how the newcomers have any chemistry to be able to compete. Also Morris and Long would eat Custer and Cooke's lunch. Nothing against Custer and Cooke, think they both will be good players for ISU, but the experience those two have would just be overwhelming.

siklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 11, 2010
Minneapolis
I think this is a fairly easy returns win. Don't see how the newcomers have any chemistry to be able to compete. Also Morris and Long would eat Custer and Cooke's lunch. Nothing against Custer and Cooke, think they both will be good players for ISU, but the experience those two have would just be overwhelming.

Ehh, everything that I've seen is that Cooke and Long are about a push. They have just about the same amount of experience and Cooke might even be a better shooter. Naz is pretty clutch though...

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Give me the Newcomers. BDJ, McKay, and Nader are too athletic for the Returners. Cooke stroking threes and Custer feeding everyone.