2024 Transfer Portal Tracker (Wrestling)

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Wildly frustrating that you basically can’t compete for titles without the backing of some mega donor(s) in this era
Jax and Bo aren’t M2 kids but if they end up at Okie State, they will be competing with Penn state within the next couple years. Manville is an M2 kid along with Kasak and Haines. Getting these kids to Okie State would immediately shift the college wrestling landscape

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Jax and Bo aren’t M2 kids but if they end up at Okie State, they will be competing with Penn state within the next couple years. Manville is an M2 kid along with Kasak and Haines. Getting these kids to Okie State would immediately shift the college wrestling landscape
I’d want to see how DT coaches them up before I predict him being able compete with Cael, but talent and resources likely aren’t going to be an issue.

Reactions: matclone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Yeah, I'm gonna need to see how exactly Steveson is still eligible for year 7.

19 FR
20 SO
21 (free space - covid)
22 JR
23 RS?
24 SR? - ORS can't apply here since he didn't actually train/compete
25 ???

He also didn't miss any collegiate time in 21 (which is part of the waiver criteria), so on top of it already being a free year I don't think he could get an ORS for that year anyway.

Reactions: G-imJustafan

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Yeah, I'm gonna need to see how exactly Steveson is still eligible for year 7.

19 FR
20 SO
21 (free space - covid)
22 JR
23 RS?
24 SR? - ORS can't apply here since he didn't actually train/compete
25 ???

He also didn't miss any collegiate time in 21 (which is part of the waiver criteria), so on top of it already being a free year I don't think he could get an ORS for that year anyway.
Pretty simple isn’t it?

2019 - True Fr.
2020 - Tr Soph.
2021 - Jr
2022 - Jr repeat
2023 - redshirt
2024 - Oly RS
2025 - senior

The only thing he would’ve had to do, based on dumb math, was be enrolled in X amount of classes/credits the past 2 seasons to take 2 redshirts. Was he? I have no idea. That would mean he’s always kept this option in his back pocket. He qualifies for an Olympic redshirt and doesn’t need to compete at trials to meet that criteria right? That’s not a retroactive thing.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Pretty simple isn’t it?

2019 - True Fr.
2020 - Tr Soph.
2021 - Jr
2022 - Jr repeat
2023 - redshirt
2024 - Oly RS
2025 - senior

The only thing he would’ve had to do, based on dumb math, was be enrolled in X amount of classes/credits the past 2 seasons to take 2 redshirts. Was he? I have no idea. That would mean he’s always kept this option in his back pocket. He qualifies for an Olympic redshirt and doesn’t need to compete at trials to meet that criteria right? That’s not a retroactive thing.

The key phrase below is bold/underlined. At no time was he unable to participate in college because of Olympic training/competition. Just because he was in the Olympics doesn't automatically qualify him for an ORS.

Extensions of the five-year period of eligibility for student-athletes by the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or its designated committee, shall be based on the following
criteria: The member institution in which the student-athlete is enrolled must establish to the satisfaction of the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement (by objective evidence) that the student-athlete was unable to participate in intercollegiate athletics as a result of participation in one of the activities listed in the above legislation** for a specific period of time. Further, such an extension shall be limited to one time and for a period not to exceed one year per student-athlete, per sport.

**(a) Official Pan American, Parapan American, World Championships, World Cup, World University Games (Universiade), World University Championships, Olympic and Paralympic training, tryouts and competition;
(b) Officially recognized training and competition directly qualifying participants for final Olympic or Paralympic tryouts; or
(c) Official tryouts and competition involving national teams sponsored by the appropriate national governing bodies of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee (or, for student-athletes representing another nation, the equivalent organization of that nation, or, for student-athletes competing in a non-Olympic or non-Paralympic sport, the equivalent organization of that sport).

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
The key phrase below is bold/underlined. At no time was he unable to participate in college because of Olympic training/competition. Just because he was in the Olympics doesn't automatically qualify him for an ORS.

Extensions of the five-year period of eligibility for student-athletes by the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or its designated committee, shall be based on the following
criteria: The member institution in which the student-athlete is enrolled must establish to the satisfaction of the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement (by objective evidence) that the student-athlete was unable to participate in intercollegiate athletics as a result of participation in one of the activities listed in the above legislation** for a specific period of time. Further, such an extension shall be limited to one time and for a period not to exceed one year per student-athlete, per sport.

**(a) Official Pan American, Parapan American, World Championships, World Cup, World University Games (Universiade), World University Championships, Olympic and Paralympic training, tryouts and competition;
(b) Officially recognized training and competition directly qualifying participants for final Olympic or Paralympic tryouts; or
(c) Official tryouts and competition involving national teams sponsored by the appropriate national governing bodies of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee (or, for student-athletes representing another nation, the equivalent organization of that nation, or, for student-athletes competing in a non-Olympic or non-Paralympic sport, the equivalent organization of that sport).
As with anything in college sports, they must have a workaround figured out. Like any other Olympic sport in college, not everyone can compete due to injury or illness, etc. I’ve never heard of someone getting their Olympic RS taken away because they didn’t compete. I know we’ve had wrestlers in the past taking an ORS and not even make the Olympic trials. I’m sure this happens in track and field and swimming. My guess if they took an example of something that’s happened in another sport and have data for their case. Just my dumb guess

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
As with anything in college sports, they must have a workaround figured out. Like any other Olympic sport in college, not everyone can compete due to injury or illness, etc. I’ve never heard of someone getting their Olympic RS taken away because they didn’t compete. I know we’ve had wrestlers in the past taking an ORS and not even make the Olympic trials. I’m sure this happens in track and field and swimming. My guess if they took an example of something that’s happened in another sport and have data for their case. Just my dumb guess

Which is why I said I'd like to see how he's still eligible. Because based on how the rules are written, he isn't.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG