NBA: ***2023-24 NBA season***

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Regular season vs postseason is always interesting to compare.

Wolves were 0-3 against the Suns regular season losing by an average of 16 points.

Wolves went 4-0 against the Suns in playoffs winning by average of 17.

Went 2-2 vs Denver.

2-5 vs Denver and Phoenix regular season and 6-0 so far postseason
The Wolves seem so much bigger, longer, more athletic and more physical than both teams and when you get into the playoffs and the intensity ratchets up to 11 that's tough to beat. Obviously combined with the good defense the were already playing and they aren't a slouch on offense. Just killed the Suns on the boards and last night they totally got into Denvers head with their defense. Alexander-Walker and McDaniels are terrors on the perimeter and KAT is even playing good defense

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Nuggets had one of the worst Championship teams ever so really the only thing surprising to me was the domination last night but I kind of expected for the TWolves to win this series.
Well this is… a take. Why do you consider that Nuggets team that went 16-4 in the playoffs, one of the worst championship teams ever?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Nuggets had one of the worst Championship teams ever so really the only thing surprising to me was the domination last night but I kind of expected for the TWolves to win this series.
Is this an analytical deal? I never really understood this opinion. They have the best player currently in the game and the supporting cast is solid enough. Not too different than Jordan's Bulls with Pippen (Jamal Murray) as the trusty 2nd option to the star, surrounded by a several supporting pieces that fit well together.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My only question with the Wolves is if they are truly destined to win it all this year, is this the start of a Wolves Dynasty, with Edwards only being 22? It seems like it, yet they are the Wolves. Will they find a way to Minnesota Pro Sports team this up?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My only question with the Wolves is if they are truly destined to win it all this year, is this the start of a Wolves Dynasty, with Edwards only being 22? It seems like it, yet they are the Wolves. Will they find a way to Minnesota Pro Sports team this up?

They've got Ant locked up to a long term deal, and I'd imagine he's the type of guy who will attract others to come play with him. Get that Gobert contracts off the books in a few years and you can add some more pieces around him. KAT seems to have the kind of game that will stick as he ages as well. I think they are set up long term.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
That depends on how much they want to spend as a team. If I am not mistaken, Ant will make $30M more next year and Towns will make like $13M more. Not sure about other players, but they might be like $50M over the cap and maybe the highest spending team in NBA.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
That seems way too harsh. I would say it's amazing where Jokic has been able to take this team without any all-star players to help him out. I mean how many teams have won an NBA championship with only one all-star player?

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Is this an analytical deal? I never really understood this opinion. They have the best player currently in the game and the supporting cast is solid enough. Not too different than Jordan's Bulls with Pippen (Jamal Murray) as the trusty 2nd option to the star, surrounded by a several supporting pieces that fit well together.
Partly analytics, partly based on low number of regular season wins. The league as a whole last year was down from an analytics standpoint, too. So they have the rep as a weaker champion in a weaker season. They improved this year in both terms of raw win total and some analytics, but the T-Wolves and the Thunder have completely transformed this year way outpacing Denver.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Well this is… a take. Why do you consider that Nuggets team that went 16-4 in the playoffs, one of the worst championship teams ever?

A lot of people can't get over Jokic being elite even though he has the #1 PER in NBA history with MJ and LeBron just a tad behind him. There are a ton of legendary big men who never had a single season as productive as four of Joker's best seasons.

Even if they don't win it this year, they have no bench. The years before they won it they were plagued with almost comical injuries. Monte logged a ton of minutes with them simply by being the only non-Jokic player who didn't get injured a lot.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Partly analytics, partly based on low number of regular season wins. The league as a whole last year was down from an analytics standpoint, too. So they have the rep as a weaker champion in a weaker season. They improved this year in both terms of raw win total and some analytics, but the T-Wolves and the Thunder have completely transformed this year way outpacing Denver.
Can you post the analytics you’re referencing? Their 16-4 playoff run is the best record since the 2017 Warriors which is considered one of, if not the, best team of that decade.

I don’t put much stock in regular season record at all, considering most NBA champions have between 52-60 wins the past 30 years. But even if you do, their regular-season win percentage last year was tied for 34th out of the past 50 NBA champions. So maybe a bit below average, but far from the worst

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Pippen is a hall of famer and one of the best defenders ever. Him and Murray aren’t even on the same stratosphere

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Analytics, league is down, really easy path. I think they are the worst defensive team ever to win.
Defensive rating is completely misconstrued because the league is offensively so much more skilled now. The last 6 NBA champions all are among the worst 10 defensive ratings of NBA champions because the game has changed. I’ll need to see other analytics to prove your point.

The league is down is a croc in my opinion too. The league is more skilled now than it’s ever been.

The best player in the league has the best career PER of all time. 5 of the 10 best career PERs are currently playing (Jokic, LeBron, Durant, Anthony Davis, and Giannis). With the growth of the game internationally you have a larger pool of better players entering the NBA. In my opinion, you are mistaking parity (which is good for the game) as the league being down.

• Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Defensive rating is completely misconstrued because the league is offensively so much more skilled now. The last 6 NBA champions all are among the worst 10 defensive ratings of NBA champions because the game has changed. I’ll need to see other analytics to prove your point.

The league is down is a croc in my opinion too. The league is more skilled now than it’s ever been.

The best player in the league has the best career PER of all time. 5 of the 10 best career PERs are currently playing (Jokic, LeBron, Durant, Anthony Davis, and Giannis). With the growth of the game internationally you have a larger pool of better players entering the NBA. In my opinion, you are mistaking parity (which is good for the game) as the league being down.
I don’t agree at all. Good depth of players and skill. But we are in a lull right now of dominant teams. And i know I singled out the Nuggets but there have been a few recently that just aren’t good historically speaking. And defensive analytics are adjusted so it’s not about great offense. And when I say down I’m just talking about no dominant teams. PER is largely an offensive stat so that’s not surprising.

I also think Jokic is the worst multi MVP winner of all time.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I don’t agree at all. Good depth of players and skill. But we are in a lull right now of dominant teams. And i know I singled out the Nuggets but there have been a few recently that just aren’t good historically speaking. And defensive analytics are adjusted so it’s not about great offense. And when I say down I’m just talking about no dominant teams. PER is largely an offensive stat so that’s not surprising.

I also think Jokic is the worst multi MVP winner of all time.
Oh wow, yes we do not agree. We are about as far away as two can get. I’ll just agree to disagree

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If you gave me .5 wins for Cavs vs Celtics, I'd probably take the over but I dunno. Their defense isn't very good.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
If you gave me .5 wins for Cavs vs Celtics, I'd probably take the over but I dunno. Their defense isn't very good.

Yeah Mitchell was good enough to carry them past the magic but no way can he do it against Boston.