NBA: ***2023-24 NBA season***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What do guys like Morris and Niang need to do to earn more pt on their respective teams? If this was college basketball, we'd all be speculating about their odds to be in the portal after the season

It's probably a case where they are who they are at this point and being on a roster and getting some time on playoff teams is really, really good.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
What do guys like Morris and Niang need to do to earn more pt on their respective teams? If this was college basketball, we'd all be speculating about their odds to be in the portal after the season
I agree with @madguy30 that they've just kind of reached their respective peaks, more than likely.

But also, the main thing for Niang is that he doesn't provide defense, so if he isn't hitting shots (as in these playoffs), he's not very valuable. And even when he is hitting shots, in the playoffs, opponents work harder to hunt mismatches and expose defensive vulnerabilities, so he's more of a liability than the regular season.

For Morris, part of it is just that he probably isn't back to regular play after his injuries. He only got to play 33 games this season (only 27 with MN), so he might not be fully ready for the higher intensity of playoff basketball yet. Also, I kind of doubt he'll reach the level of playoff success he had at times with Denver. He and Jokic meshed together so well, in a way that I don't think he can with Edwards and KAT offensively.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Have you always been Nuggets fan? I started listening to most of the games on xm radio on an awful commute when they drafted Monte and just kept on following them even after Monte was traded and I no longer had the commute. I knew who Jokic was when Monte got drafted by them but actually following them I was pretty early to the "this guy might be the greatest player in the world" thought that everybody caught up to. They had such insane injury problems a few of those years or it would have been interesting seeing how far they could have gone healthy.
I have been! I live in Denver, so I’m a fan of all the professional Denver teams for years (for better or worse in many cases). ISU grad though, so fan of the Cyclones. When they drafted Monte I immediately bought his rookie card.

I knew Jokic was special after his first or second year when they shipped out Nurkic in favor of him. But, admittedly, never thought he’d become this good. Never in my wildest dreams did I think the Nuggets would have a multiple time MVP, hall-of-famer or a championship in my lifetime. They got all 3.

And yes, the year Jamal got hurt, the year after the bubble, they were really poised for a deep playoff run. I think they had the 1 or 2 seed in the west. Then he got hurt and set the franchise back for 2 years.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I agree with @madguy30 that they've just kind of reached their respective peaks, more than likely.

But also, the main thing for Niang is that he doesn't provide defense, so if he isn't hitting shots (as in these playoffs), he's not very valuable. And even when he is hitting shots, in the playoffs, opponents work harder to hunt mismatches and expose defensive vulnerabilities, so he's more of a liability than the regular season.

For Morris, part of it is just that he probably isn't back to regular play after his injuries. He only got to play 33 games this season (only 27 with MN), so he might not be fully ready for the higher intensity of playoff basketball yet. Also, I kind of doubt he'll reach the level of playoff success he had at times with Denver. He and Jokic meshed together so well, in a way that I don't think he can with Edwards and KAT offensively.
Appreciate your insight here, good post!

• Friendly
Reactions: cyfan4 and MJ271

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Appreciate your insight here, good post!
Hoping they both can hang on a couple more years. But really happy for those guys. They both were low, second-round picks, but both have achieved multi-generational wealth.

Georges has earned $12.5M in his career so far and Monte has earned $22M. Georges, in particular, should have a lucrative media career after basketball if he wants it too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Georges had a bad playoff series vs Orlando, no sugar coating it.
Monte's problem is Mike Conley is still really, really good at his age.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Nuggets are broken. No bench. MPJ is a weak one trick pony that’s not worth a max contract. They collectively seem not as motivated this year. And Murray is playing like garbage even though that may be due to injury. They need a min of 25 pts from Murray to even have a chance.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
O
M
G

Twolves are a PROBLEM!

Have to see if m old starter jacket from like 93 is still at my parents house. I wax the proud owner of this baby:

Reactions: Foosballa