2019 Iowa's Best Burger announced

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
Cafe Beaudelaire won last year. I always get the barru when I go there, but I tried their Southwest burger last time I was in Ames and it did not disappoint.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Give me a Dundee Burger from Shorts as my favorite. Literally the only thing redeeming about Iowa City.

• Informative
Reactions: arobb

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
That burger looks pretty average that they are holding up. I would prefer a double or triple from B and B to be honest.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That burger looks pretty average that they are holding up. I would prefer a double or triple from B and B to be honest.

It does look a little boring. Maybe the secret's in the seasoning or the patty. A mix of ground chuck and beef short ribs does sound like a pretty good base.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
It does look a little boring. Maybe the secret's in the seasoning or the patty. A mix of ground chuck and beef short ribs does sound like a pretty good base.

Is it a fan poll or is it some sort of expert beef people? I hate fan polls. Bunch of people who don't know crap voting on Wahlburgers because Marky Mark is cute. If it's real beef type people. Ill trust their opinion.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Is it a fan poll or is it some sort of expert beef people? I hate fan polls. Bunch of people who don't know crap voting on Wahlburgers because Marky Mark is cute. If it's real beef type people. Ill trust their opinion.

From the story:

"The designation as Iowa’s Best Burger comes after a two-phase competition. The first phase is all based on votes from the public. For a month, burger lovers went online and voted for their favorite Iowa burger, submitting nearly 6,000 votes representing around 500 restaurants. At the end of the month, the ten restaurants with the most votes are declared the “Top 10.”

From there, three anonymous judges visit each of the restaurants, focusing on the burger patties and scoring them based on taste, doneness and presentation."

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
From the story:

"The designation as Iowa’s Best Burger comes after a two-phase competition. The first phase is all based on votes from the public. For a month, burger lovers went online and voted for their favorite Iowa burger, submitting nearly 6,000 votes representing around 500 restaurants. At the end of the month, the ten restaurants with the most votes are declared the “Top 10.”

From there, three anonymous judges visit each of the restaurants, focusing on the burger patties and scoring them based on taste, doneness and presentation."

That's not a horrible way to do it to be honest. As long as it's not just a popularity poll at the end.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
They must not have rated on service, it is beyond terrible. Food is alright, nothing I'd give an award to at least from the two times we went.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don't know how official any of these rankings really are...

1-Dad-Shirt.jpg

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
From the story:

It also seems that you can only win the award once. So its less a 'best burger in iowa' award and more 'best burger from a place that hasn't won yet'

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Quit wasting time on burger's. Pork tenderloins are the real deal.

Go to the Iowa pork producer's website and get the list for the best tenderloin, the Lucky pig in Ogden has won it, the GridIron in Webster City, some place down in Dunlap, and many others

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Just a question, if it was so bad the first time why would you return?
Hoped first time was a fluke, everyone has a bad day. Second time was actually worse. Got a few drinks at the bar, asked them if they could transfer my tab to the table, no problem. Food orders were messed up, not too bad, but we didn't have anything that should have been difficult. The server also set our food tray on another group's table and they thought it was theirs. There were open tables, could have brought a tray stand, but no, she sets it on a six top where 4 people are seated with our 4 meals, of course they thought it was theirs. When she stops to drop off our checks, she actually had a tray of dirty dishes and set it on our table to hand us our checks. No drinks from the bar on my check (with the tab I opened on my card). I ask about them and she says she'd check. I waited for a new check, nothing. Finally wave her down and her response was along the lines of "I don't know, you'll have to check with the bar". Fine, go to the bar, bartender can't find my open tab and says "I'll just have to close it out at the end of the night"

No receipt, no clue how much they were going to charge, nothing. The bartender seemed too bothered by me wanting to pay my bill to figure it out. Needless to say, I was watching my card statement for the next few days expecting a huge bar bill. Instead I apparently only got charged for one or maybe 2 drinks, not sure how much they cost but I should have been charged more than $9.50 for what we drank before dinner. I don't like not paying for what I consumed, so feel guilty about it, which is probably the worst part, I feel guilty about them not charging me properly because of their terrible service.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Give me a Dundee Burger from Shorts as my favorite. Literally the only thing redeeming about Iowa City.

I wouldn't go so far as calling it the *only* thing. Obviously, I'm biased and love Iowa City, in general. But Short's has a slew of great burgers, of which the Dundee is one. My Short's rotation consists of the Quimby, Baxter, Burnside, Dundee, Gravity and Defiance. Quimby and Defiance are probably the two I get most often (bleu cheese is my preferred cheese on a burger, and both come with bacon).

Iowa City also has a killer authentic Mexican restaurant, La Regia. Best tacos in town, and it's not close.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron