2013? Happy or Sad its over?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Horrible year. Lost my mom. Doesn't get any worse than that.

So, bring on 2014!
Maybe I can claw my way up to Starter. :pbiggrin:

Or not.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
It was one of my worst. Started out in February with serious hip and leg pain that drugs and PT would not turn around. That led to an MRI in April which discovered a herniated disk. Got so bad that a sneeze, cough or even laughter would send searing pain down my left leg all the way down to my knee.

Had two rounds of epidural steroid injections which did not work, and finally back surgery at the end of June. 2 months before I could lift anything heavier than 10 - 20 lbs. and gained 40 lbs in the process. First time in 10 straight years that I missed RAGBRAI.

A lot of whining on my part, I know, but I had major abdominal surgery last year, too and recovered to be in great shape afterwards. At least I get to try - I'm back to running and trying to shave those extra lbs off again. You will see me out on the roads on RAGBRAI this summer!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Im sorry to hear about your mom. Thats a tough loss for sure. I hope 2014 brings you joy.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
You know, for a year that mostly saw my life on the upswing I'm ready for 2013 to be over. Started the year unemployed and ended up with a great new job, buying a house, and finding out were expecting a baby girl next year. So it was an awesome year, I'm just hoping 2014 is a little less crazy, even with the 2nd baby.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Started off the year at Disneyworld. Was told I had leukemia after being sick for a month and then found out a short time later it was something else but that sure changed my perspective on things. Kids have been great, won a state title, and celebrating my most productive year ever with a company trip to Cozumel in Feb. So while 2013 was in general a very good year, it also has me excited for the potential of 2014.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
2013 ended with the sudden loss of my dad (10-days away from retirement). 2014 can only go up.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I guess overall I'm looking forward to seeing what 2014 brings for me. '13 was frankly a tough year for me, at least professionally.

At this time last year I had recently moved out to Michigan for what I thought was a good career opportunity, but last March I got demoted for complete BS reasons, and as a consequence I ended up moving back to Colorado and got my old job back, so I'm essentially back to where I started.

On the plus side though, I've gotten re-involved with acting (doing community theatre and Shakespeare in the Park kind of stuff) since I've moved back, and I've really re-discovered my love of that, and I probably would not have had the time to do that with my kind of work schedule in Michigan, so that's been a lot of fun for me on a personal level.

I'm looking forward to bringing a renewed sense of focus and energy to 2014, and seeing what happens.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
Finishing a Ph.D. in 2014 and hopefully going to be gainfully employed. Looking forward to whatever is next.

2013 was real neutral for me.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I'm grateful for any year I can spend as a dad and husband. Beyond that everything's icing on the cake.