Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I saw a bit of the game last week and it looked pretty optional for her.

Perhaps it's to hide her to keep her out of foul trouble.
Makes sense. But then she’s just a liability in defense. I saw a play where the ball went to post. CC was in perfect position to slide over and double team. Instead she stood still, and another Iowa player from the key tried to slide down to help. The double team was late, leading to an easy Nebby basket.

Maybe I’m watching too many ISU men’s games!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Makes sense. But then she’s just a liability in defense. I saw a play where the ball went to post. CC was in perfect position to slide over and double team. Instead she stood still, and another Iowa player from the key tried to slide down to help. The double team was late, leading to an easy Nebby basket.

Maybe I’m watching too many ISU men’s games!

Yeah I'm guessing they have a plan to give that kind of thing up for Iowa to be able to cover it with quick scores.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Does CC play defense? Decided to turn the game on. All I see CC doing on defense is standing around. Is that normal for her?
It's normal, they basically play man to man with the exception of CC who mostly hovers around the FT line and picks up someone on a switch or drive but usually won't follow them into the paint. It's 1 area I'm surprised teams don't run offense right at her and force her to commit as it's an obvious strategy to keep her out of foul trouble. Allows her to go after rebounds and steals too not having a 1 on 1 defensive assignment.

Reactions: Cyhig and rosshm16

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Felt like that OOB a bit ago was off iowa and should not have been a foul

Murph & Andy might want to know the Iowa radio crew really blaming officials when they were losing as the cause. I know they really hate that and have gone out of their way for decades to call it out.

Pretty crazy game, even when she was shooting 0-9 from deep CC still obviously impacts game so much in other ways, smart enough to score other ways then her shot came back. I’m sure cbs loves this game, legit good showcase.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
It's normal, they basically play man to man with the exception of CC who mostly hovers around the FT line and picks up someone on a switch or drive but usually won't follow them into the paint. It's 1 area I'm surprised teams don't run offense right at her and force her to commit as it's an obvious strategy to keep her out of foul trouble. Allows her to go after rebounds and steals too not having a 1 on 1 defensive assignment.
Correct. It allows her to be lazy on defense and pad stats simultaneously. Looks really cool in the stat column!

Reactions: Cyhig