Best food eaten abroad

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Jerk Chicken from some shady stand outside of Montego Bay. I would go back to Jamaica just for that.

Bought a grouper from a boat at the marina in Cabo. Baja Cantina cleaned it and made us fresh grouper sandwich and fish tacos.

A full English breakfast at some place in London that I can't remember what it's called. The Brit's do breakfast right.

Meille Pap in South Africa. It's their version of white corn grits but a thousand times better. It's a staple food of ZA but everyone has their own twist to it and can be incorporated into many things. I stayed with two farm families while there and got true ZA home cooking the whole time. I loved pretty much everything, Boerwors is amazing.

minus the baked beans. Not sure how they ever got included in the traditional English Breakfast, but I'm pretty sure it's why they lost the empire.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I don't know if it was the best, but Korean BBQ was pretty damn good. Bulgogi and samgyupsal were both really good.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Imperial Shrimp at La Pesca Restaurant, Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. Jumbo Prawns stuffed with Cheese wrapped with bacon with Mango dipping sauce. Awesome. Size of hot dogs.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Brazilian Feijoada as mentioned above, cooked home style in the middle of nowhere by forestry service workers on the edge of the Atlantic rain forest.

Also, a plowman sandwich in southern England. Basically a chunk of cheese and two slabs of homemade bread at a small town pub. Absolutely delicious.

Guess I like simple stuff.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Making me regret not ordering the kangaroo at that restaurant in the park in Perth. Would have been worth it to now post that I had roasted Skippy.

BTW, you are all a bunch of travel showoffs...I am a little jelly about the destinations and meals.

I ordered Roo at this little place in Sydney. It was just a slab of meat, a steak or whatever they called it. Very lean, very tender, very delicious.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Fresh sardines that were filleted and simply dressed with olive oil while I was sitting at a patio table at a restaurant just outside of Vicenza, Italy. They were not my thing, and I had to be talked into trying them by my host. I'm glad he insisted. They were sublime.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
I went to Italy a year ago and the owner of the villa we rented cooked for us 4 of the nights we were there. Amazing 5 course meals homemade by an amazing chef paired with wines made right there on the property. Was a great authentic experience.

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
Thailand has night markets where vendors sell food, sometimes snacks, sometimes a whole meal.
I was in the night market a Ayuthaya (an old Khmer capitol about 25 mi. N of Bankok) where a vendor had chicken grilled chicken necks complete with the head. That wasn't my cup of tea, but he did have what seemed to be chicken nugget kabobs which was close enough to Mickey D's familiar food. I bought a stick and ate a couple while thinking they seemed to be awful fatty. I finally realized they were the other end of the bird.

Best Indian restaurant was small place in Yerevan, Armenia.

The Peace Corps volunteers often ate at the "Georgean Restaurant" and the usual order was for khatchapuri, sort of a double crusted cheese pizza.

During the winter olympics, the Bush girl that was doing the little cultural segments was raving about what she called "cheesy bread".

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Wish I would have taken pictures but we went on a food tour near Bologna Italy that was the best food I've ever had.

Did grab some pics of some good stuff we had in Belgium and a pizza joint in Rome.

TAI2X9b.jpg

k32f2ji.jpg

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Well this is going to sound dumb compared to the other posts, but the best Snickers I have ever had was in Germany. Just a plain Snickers from a grocery store, but there was a remarkable difference in the freshness and quality of the chocolate, caramel and nougat compared to the US stuff. I literally bit into it and after the first taste had to look at the wrapper to make sure it was a normal Snickers bar.

Reactions: TXCyclones

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Well this is going to sound dumb compared to the other posts, but the best Snickers I have ever had was in Germany. Just a plain Snickers from a grocery store, but there was a remarkable difference in the freshness and quality of the chocolate, caramel and nougat compared to the US stuff. I literally bit into it and after the first taste had to look at the wrapper to make sure it was a normal Snickers bar.
You don't eat your snickers on a plate with a fork and knife?
What are you, some sort of animal?

Reactions: SoapyCy

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
The best Italian Food I've ever had was in... Cologne, Germany. A restaurant called Il Carpaccio does a pasta dish in truffle oil and shaved truffles. Holy **** it is amazing! I'm making a trip back to Germany in a couple months and staying in Cologne just to get his dish again. I've gone back there for 12 years now just to enjoy it it's THAT amazing.
Pasta 1.jpg Pasta 2.jpg Pasta 3.jpg Pasta 4.jpg

Reactions: dmclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The best Italian Food I've ever had was in... Cologne, Germany. A restaurant called Il Carpaccio does a pasta dish in truffle oil and shaved truffles. Holy **** it is amazing! I'm making a trip back to Germany in a couple months and staying in Cologne just to get his dish again. I've gone back there for 12 years now just to enjoy it it's THAT amazing.

Is that pasta being put inside a cheese wheel?

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Last spring I had a squid pasta dish cooked in its own ink in Mallorca Spain. Its black and looks disgusting but it was really good.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Two of my other favorites abroad were from Barbados. The Hilton beach bar makes a Flying Fish Sandwich that is amazing, and every Friday night at the south end of the Island the locals show up at Oistens and the shack at the far right hand end is the best according to the locals and they make amazing fried Marlin. This has turned into an annual trip just for these two items!

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Is that pasta being put inside a cheese wheel?

It is. They shave the cheese from inside the wheel then dump the hot pasta inside and toss it to get it perfectly covered throughout. Then add the truffle oil and shave the truffles. Stunning.

• Winner
Reactions: dmclone and JP4CY

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
During the winter olympics, the Bush girl that was doing the little cultural segments was raving about what she called "cheesy bread".

They are actually cheese balls. But they are good. They were used as a snack in many places we went. you can get recipe for these online.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Otoro sushi when I was in Osaka 8 years ago. My cousin lives there and took my wife and I out for our last night. It was amazing.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
The Royale with cheese in Amsterdam was damn good!

Serious answer though. Had some Kobe beef in Taipei earlier in the year that was to die for. Also, roasted chicken with the potato dumpling and a tall beir in Germany. I'm hungry now...