Best food eaten abroad

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
What's the best food you've eaten abroad?? Or favorite restaurant beyond the U.S. borders??

I have a couple:
This year it was more of the experience, but had a great salmon dish up in the needle in New Zealand. There was something about the rotation looking over Auckland. In fact I had a lot of great meals there. Chicken and waffles near the lake in Queenstown too. I could live there.

I love Greek food, so eating authentic Greek food in the plaza in Athens was pretty cool.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
"Canadian" Bacon.

• Funny
Reactions: alarson

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I do not like lamb but thought I would take a chance on lamb chops in Aruba. They were out of this world. Had one of the best steaks of my life there as well. Grass fed argentina beef brought out on a sizzling hot stone.

I enjoyed the cactus I had in Mexico as well.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
When I was in Brazil a couple years ago, we ate at a churrascaria which was amazing. Their options offered on the salad bar as well as meats was just awesome. Also fun fact, they have little churrascaria's everywhere in Brazil. One day for lunch we stopped at a rest stop (think pilot type) and ate at a buffett there, they had a little churrascaria's where you could get some skewered meat. They also have them in cafeteria's at malls too. I thought that was interesting because I think of them as a sit down restaurant type of place.

Also, in Brazil, we had what is called Feijoada, which is just meat, black beans and water that is cooked over a long period of time until the meat is tender. That was really tasty as well.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
The best was tamales from a little roadside shack out in the middle of the country in Panama. Those things were dynamite.

2nd best was Fried Conch on Grand Cayman.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Shrimp tacos in some little bar on the west side of Cozumel.

Someone mentioned lamb earlier. I rarely order lamb he in the US but went to Ireland a few years ago and the lamb there was fantastic.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Authentic paella made by a host-mom in Valencia, Spain and seafood risotto at a restaurant in the little harbor area of Vernazza, Cinque Terre, Italy.

One of the most unique foods was the meat off a bull's tail in Spain. They wouldn't tell me what it was before I tried it. Some of the most tender and delicious meat I've ever had.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I've been to Italy several times for work, and have had numerous wonderful things there...however, one item that sticks out...at a little mom-and-pop shop that my Italian boss knew of, I had a pasta concoction smothered in a sauce made from goose fat. It probably had a years worth of cholesterol in that one serving, but it was heavenly.

safmusic

May 30, 2006
Iquitos Peru, --barbecued jungle grubs--they are about 2 " long. If crispy all the way thru very good. If not quite done, the middle was runny--not good. You swallow them whole and fast.
Also had a roast from a miniature jungle deer that only natives can hunt that really was fantastic. At a restaurant called Texas Rose because the owner is a transplanted Texan. Very interesting place.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Making me regret not ordering the kangaroo at that restaurant in the park in Perth. Would have been worth it to now post that I had roasted Skippy.

BTW, you are all a bunch of travel showoffs...I am a little jelly about the destinations and meals.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Pan Fried Mahi at Royal Palms on Grand Cayman. So good I became a hipster and took a picture of it.

Attachments

• 1012665_10101234870496590_1133224192_n.jpg
    1012665_10101234870496590_1133224192_n.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 22

Trigger

Dec 30, 2011
Had a job for 3 years where I traveled to Brazil and Italy several times each year. Don't remember many of the actual names but in Brazil you could get chicken hearts on a skewer. If cooked correctly, they were absolutely fantastic. There was also a lot of lamb in Brazil that was very good.

Had the best meal of my life in Verona, Italy. I was there to give a presentation to the executive group of my division before a Division wide gathering. They had reserved an entire restaurant - it was pretty small anyway - for the Executive group and spouses and they decided to invite me (and the wife) since we would have been the only people not going. 2.5 hours long, 8 courses from beginning to end, different wine with each course, risotto, duck, octopus, beef are among the things I recall but each course was simply amazing. The cost for that ended up being just over $3,000/couple. No meal is ever worth that but to get to experience it on the company dime was pretty cool.

All in all, I prefer Brazilian food over anything I ever had in Europe. Something about the way the season and cook meat - always on a skewer over open flame.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Making me regret not ordering the kangaroo at that restaurant in the park in Perth.

You can get that anywhere

kangaroo-800.jpg

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
A multi course meal at Loam in Galway, Ireland this June.

My wife and I took our honeymoon in Ireland, basically touring the west coast, down to the south, and then back to Dublin. The tour of food we did was just outstanding. Every next place we went to was amazing.

Sea Bass, scallops, fish & chips, and irish stew in Doolin, lamb sliders in Cork, fresh garlic mussels and smoked salmon in Dingle, and the best mashed potatoes we've ever eaten (and may ever eat) in Dublin. So, so, so much good food.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Jerk Chicken from some shady stand outside of Montego Bay. I would go back to Jamaica just for that.

Bought a grouper from a boat at the marina in Cabo. Baja Cantina cleaned it and made us fresh grouper sandwich and fish tacos.

A full English breakfast at some place in London that I can't remember what it's called. The Brit's do breakfast right.

Meille Pap in South Africa. It's their version of white corn grits but a thousand times better. It's a staple food of ZA but everyone has their own twist to it and can be incorporated into many things. I stayed with two farm families while there and got true ZA home cooking the whole time. I loved pretty much everything, Boerwors is amazing.