McDermott

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Not sure why some still have bad blood with him. Glad to see it way less on here the past few years. The ones to cheer against are those who became Neb basketball fans four weeks ago.

Imagine that your fat, ugly, stupid ex-girlfriend left you for a male supermodel. You're confused and mad and a little jealous.

But then you meet and marry a girl who is prettier and smarter. You're really happy, but still confused about something, and not entirely sure what :confused:

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
The problem was player retention not coaching. He was and is a good coach. No coaching can overcome lack of talent consistently. A mystery how so many players left while he was at ISU, but that hasn't happened at Creighton. Things worked out for everyone and I am happy for him, Doug and mostly ISU fans.

Sorry, but he's not a good coach. We had more than one NBA player on the teams, including a lottery pick and he still couldn't beat mediocre big 12 teams. A major reason they're good is because of McDermott - who is in the top 5 scorers in NCAA history now. I'll bet money on the fact that they won't be nearly as good in the next handful of years as they have been in the last few.

People also forget that a bunch of good teams left the Big East as Creighton entered it or right before. Syracuse, Notre Dame, West Virginia.. No doubt Creighton is good this year, but anybody who thinks that having one of the top 5 all time leading scorers in NCAA history isn't a major reason they're this good is smoking crack.

Last edited:

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Sorry, but he's not a good coach. We had more than one NBA player on the teams, including a lottery pick and he still couldn't beat mediocre big 12 teams. A major reason they're good is because of McDermott - who is in the top 5 scorers in NCAA history now. I'll bet money on the fact that they won't be nearly as good in the next handful of years as they have been in the last few.

People also forget that a bunch of good teams left the Big East as Creighton entered it or right before. Syracuse, Notre Dame, West Virginia.. No doubt Creighton is good this year, but anybody who thinks that having one of the top 5 all time leading scorers in NCAA history isn't a major reason they're this good is smoking crack.
I'd say it has more to do with style of play. His style of play works well at a mid major level, but doesn't really work at a major level. That's why I think Creighton may not do as well in the future. I think the big east will still be a good conference, but if the rest of the teams are getting more talented players, his style won't work.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think if this had happened the 1st year after Greg left, or even the year we went to the tourney with Royce, there probably would have been some hard feelings and heckling from our fans. It wasn't clear at that time how much the program would recover from that stretch or how long it would take.

At this point it's more like running into an old friend you had a falling out with a long time ago. You're never going to be best buddies again, but you're not mad anymore, it's nice to see them, and you're both happy the other one is doing well.

If we hadn't gotten Fred and Hoiball wasn't off and running, there would be a LOT more ill will against GMac. We are better off now though.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'd say it has more to do with style of play. His style of play works well at a mid major level, but doesn't really work at a major level. That's why I think Creighton may not do as well in the future. I think the big east will still be a good conference, but if the rest of the teams are getting more talented players, his style won't work.

Exactly. His Mid-Major style depends on more on heady veterans than the Big12 style which is more focused on athleticism and an immediate influx of talent, be it great freshmen or transfers.
r
GMac was always trying to build up a team but whenever he had a good player, he would lose them or their supporting players for one reason or another. Some of it was his fault, some not. He did not consistently recruit BIg12 level talent from top to bottom in his classes. For every Wes Johnson or Brackins there were 4 MVC level players.

It's easy to see the effect of having a good coach like Fred has had on the team. He was able to do a lot more with a lot of the same players his first year. He turned Diante into an NBA player. He's also done everything possible to increase the talent level at every opportunity.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
yeah, in situations where I'm indifferent or dislike both teams, I tend to side with the underdog. It won't kill me to root for Nebraska. Also, a Nebraska win rubs additional salt into Iowa's already painful wounds, so yeah, call me a Husker fan for today. But only for today.

Nebraska is another situation where a coaching change has worked for both teams. Doc Sadler wasn't right for the Bugeaters, but he is great for us.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I don't if I'll go that far. I am happy with the way things worked out, and glad that GMac had respect enough for ISU to leave a situation that was just a bad fit. I mean, the way GMac exited, without ISU having to buy him out, and actually having Creighton pay us? That doesn't happen too many times with Power conference coaches with the record GMac had. I mean, look at Iowa. They just stopped paying Lick, THIS YEAR. We didn't have that problem. I'll thank GMac for the way he handled his exit, and respect him for it.

Exactly. ISU was very fortunate GMAC left the way he did. It could have ended a very different and ugly way and I doubt ISU would have made 3 tournaments over the last 3 years, let alone 1.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It will be interesting if Greg and Creighton end up floundering in the Big East post-Doug like many think they will. I don't think Greg was incapable of learning how to coach and recruit at a high conference level, but I do think the way things went early in his run messed with his head and left him unable to wrangle his star players while still giving his guys leeway to play loose and to their strengths. Now that he's had 4 years to reset and kind of ease into playing in a bigger conference he'll have better luck.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that they're in for a tough stretch when they lose doug, Wragge, Gibbs and manigaw. That and Georgetown and Marquette won't be down for long. I'll enjoy watching them lose.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
While it seems things either out well for everyone, I have disliked Creighton well before Greg went there, so I will be booing them to the detriment of my own bracket.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
I like Greg, glad hes doing well. Just wasnt a good fit here. No ill will from me at this point. Glad he can take it.

That is the way I feel, I am thrilled things are working out for him, thrilled for Dougie (he was a classmate of my son at AHS) and am even more thrilled that Greg is not at ISU.

I think Greg is a good person (we went to the same parish) but he was not the guy to coach the cyclones.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I can't stand Creighton or either McDermott. Creighton fans too similar to Nebbie football fans (or are the same thing). Greg destroyed our program and will never forget the punishment he inflicted on an injured Wesley Johnson, no wonder guys were fleeing him and Ames. As for Doug, he has flying elbows and the annoying push off with the off hand and always gets away with everything.