McDermott

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Does Perrault still do his Creighton schtick?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Greg was and continues to be a class act. It did not work out for him in Ames, but has at Creighton and am happy for him. As others have noted, it's rare when it works out great for both schools and his moving on certainly did.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Both Greg and ISU are in better places now, worked out for the best for both sides.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
The only ill will I have towards McD is the fact that I was in school for the last 3 years of his tenure. Unbearable basketball.

But, I have met him and spoke with him a few times and he was always easy to talk too, so he has that going for him. And his son, I guess.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Nice way to handle it.
I really like watching Creighton play, so I'll cheer for them.

Speaking of Iowa, I think it is interesting that Iowa finished at #66 after being pegged as a possible Final Four in Jan. Yes, they made the tourney on tru Tv on a Tuesday. Then they were beat by a twenty win team.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Speaking of Iowa, I think it is interesting that Iowa finished at #66 after being pegged as a possible Final Four in Jan. Yes, they made the tourney on tru Tv on a Tuesday. Then they were beat by a twenty win team.

That's what's most amusing about the whole deal. The same thing might happen to us however. Some have now pegged us to hit the final 4 and that will probably end badly for us(hope I'm wrong!).

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I like Greg, glad hes doing well. Just wasnt a good fit here. No ill will from me at this point. Glad he can take it.

Okay, just tried the thumbs up for this post, and it displayed as a thumbs down.

JEREMY!!!!! OR SOME OTHER MODERATOR!!!! PLEASE FIX!!!

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Creighton fans are nebr football fans and have huge egos. They view moving to the Big East was a logical move as they "dominated" the Valley and they were too big for that conference. I don't think too many teams from the Valley were sorry to see them go other than the exposure they brought.
I don't hate McDermott and think he is a great guy. Based on what he did at ISU, I don't think he can sustain what he's done so far once Doug and this class leaves now that they are in the Big East. If they do slide after this year I'll feel bad for Greg, not for Creighton.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
NCAA pregame shown on TruTV just did a short piece on Creighton. Showed the coaching staff joking around and eating, and one of the assistants asked if Nebraska fans will cheer or boo Creighton, McDermott said Creighton fans will cheer for Nebraska with a smile. Then one asked if Iowa State fans will boo or cheer Creighton, McDermott responded, they will cheer for Doug and boo me, I don't know maybe they are still cheering I left. He said it in good humor, everyone had a good laugh.

Not sure why some still have bad blood with him. Glad to see it way less on here the past few years. The ones to cheer against are those who became Neb basketball fans four weeks ago.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Creighton is half screwed once Dougie is gone. Not to say they'll suck but I'd be very surprised if they continue to be that good.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Not sure why some still have bad blood with him. Glad to see it way less on here the past few years. The ones to cheer against are those who became Neb basketball fans four weeks ago.

Still? Not me, but he was not a good coach. He could barely win a game against an actual good team and something like 33-40% of our players quit or transferred out. That's an unusually high number. He set our program back a handful of years and thank god for Hoiberg. He's lucky his son is so good because people will be surprised after this at his lack of coaching ability.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
does that mean you're rooting for the 'skers?

yeah, in situations where I'm indifferent or dislike both teams, I tend to side with the underdog. It won't kill me to root for Nebraska. Also, a Nebraska win rubs additional salt into Iowa's already painful wounds, so yeah, call me a Husker fan for today. But only for today.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Still? Not me, but he was not a good coach. He could barely win a game against an actual good team and something like 33-40% of our players quit or transferred out. That's an unusually high number. He set our program back a handful of years and thank god for Hoiberg. He's lucky his son is so good because people will be surprised after this at his lack of coaching ability.

The problem was player retention not coaching. He was and is a good coach. No coaching can overcome lack of talent consistently. A mystery how so many players left while he was at ISU, but that hasn't happened at Creighton. Things worked out for everyone and I am happy for him, Doug and mostly ISU fans.

AgCyclone

May 7, 2013
Ames
I wonder how Greg will do after his son leaves? He did well at UNI, but do you think Creighton will make the dance every year? I could see him doing fine, but I doubt he gets a 3 seed again.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I wonder how Greg will do after his son leaves? He did well at UNI, but do you think Creighton will make the dance every year? I could see him doing fine, but I doubt he gets a 3 seed again.

People said he would struggle when they joined the Big East. That really didn't happen yet, it may not. The fact is Greg has won at every job except ISU. He will likely be fine going forward.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
The problem was player retention not coaching. He was and is a good coach. No coaching can overcome lack of talent consistently. A mystery how so many players left while he was at ISU, but that hasn't happened at Creighton. Things worked out for everyone and I am happy for him, Doug and mostly ISU fans.

A) He's not a good in-game coach. I watched that "offense" in person.
B) The "lack of talent" was his doing. Bringing in the likes of Brian Peterson, Sean Haluska, Dodie Dunson, Alex Thompson, Charles Boozer, Brock Jacobson, Cory Jefferson etc to compete against Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Mario Chalmers, DJ Augistin would've been laughable had I not had to watch it play out. No offense to any of those dudes that busted their *** for McDermott but they were overmatched.
C) It wasn't a mystery why kids were leaving. I hope for his sake that Greg learned something about player relationships.