Search results

1. jbindm

John Prine dead at 73

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/john-prine-obit-253684/ He had been hospitalized for several weeks, so it's unsurprising but sad all the same. Hell of a songwriter. I came to be a fan of his in a roundabout sort of way...his name was mentioned in a throwaway song on a...
  2. jbindm

Iowa off the beaten path

So today my wife and I took our kids (8 and 3) on a day trip from Des Moines to Clear Lake for a kite festival. We ended up having a really good day, and it got us to thinking about other things to do in Iowa that are basically a day or short weekend trip. I'm reaching out to you, CF. Hit me...
  3. jbindm

Hinterland 2020 SPECULATION THREAD

Typically the lineup gets announced the first week of February, so the 2020 edition should be out soon. Got any predictions/wish lists of who might play this year? - There are no tour dates listed for Alabama Shakes but I'd settle for just Brittany Howard in support of her solo album. - Neil...
  4. jbindm

NFL: Eli Manning Retires

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28540028/eli-manning-retires-16-nfl-seasons Hall of Famer? The case for: Two time Super Bowl winner and MVP, author of arguably the most iconic play in SB history, seventh all time in passing yards and TDs. The only other HOF eligible quarterback who has...
  5. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Playoffs Thread***

How about just one thread for the entire postseason instead of weekly threads? The schedule for this weekend: Saturday 3:30 - Bills @ Texans. I'm tempted to go with Buffalo in this one but I think they might still be a year away. Plus the Texans get a big boost from the return of JJ Watt...
  6. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week 17 Thread***

Last week of the regular season. No games today but things get going tomorrow. These are the games with possible playoff implications: Packers @ Lions - Green Bay still has an outside shot at the top seed in the NFC. Chargers @ Chiefs - KC can nail down a first round bye with a win and a...
  7. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week 15 Thread***

Weird lack of compelling games for being this late in the season. There's a handful of games with playoff implications and a bunch of dogs, including the primetime slate: TNF - Jets @ Ravens. Barf. Good thing we have the CyHawk game tonight. SNF - Bills @ Steelers. Actually might be a...
  8. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week 14 Thread***

Starts with Dallas @ Chicago - I think the Bears' win over Detroit last Thursday was probably fool's gold but we'll see. They're catching the Cowboys in the midst of a slump, so you never know. Baltimore @ Buffalo - This one could be a sneaky good game. I'm still not totally sold on Josh...
  9. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week Twelve Thread***

Colts @ Texans tonight in a game with big AFC playoff implications. The Colts could take a firm hold of the lead in the South or fall out of the playoff field tonight. The Texans are in the midst of a tough stretch too after getting drilled by Baltimore last week and a trip to New England...
  10. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week Eleven Thread***

Steelers @ Browns tonight. Must-win for the Browns in order to stay in the wild card hunt. Texans @ Ravens - Maybe the next great QB rivalry; Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson. Bears @ Rams - Bears need a win to stay in the hunt for a wild card spot. The big news of the weekend (and I...
  11. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week Ten Thread***

Chargers @ Raiders tonight. With a win tonight and a Chiefs loss on Sunday the Raiders would be one game back in the AFC West with back to back games against the Bengals and Jets coming up. Gruden has been much better than I thought he'd be. He's still kind of a clown but the Raiders are...
  12. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week Nine Thread***

Niners @ Cardinals tonight. I expect SF to handle them pretty easily. The 49ers might be legit but their schedule gets considerably tougher the rest of the way, including two games against the Seahawks. Best of the weekend: MIN @ KC - I like KC if Mahomes is a go. Another measuring stick...
  13. jbindm

Deadspin in a tailspin

I know there's a few other Deadspin readers on this site. If you don't know the backstory here's a link to catch up on the specifics of what's happening. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/deadspin-tailspin-sports-stops-publishing-131841299.html Long story short, it looks like the website is...
  14. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week Eight Thread***

Gets going tonight with the Redskins @ the Vikings. Minny is in a bit of a groove, and even without Thielen tonight they should be able to handle the Skins pretty easily. I think with Kirk Cousins you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop but I don't think it'll be tonight. Not much...
  15. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week Seven Thread***

The reeling Chiefs @ Denver tonight. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly things can change in the NFL. Two weeks ago KC looked like a virtual lock to play the Pats in the AFC championship, and Denver appeared to be in the running for a top three draft pick. Since then Denver is 2-0 and...
  16. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week Six Thread***

The Pats get a light scrimmage in against the Giants without Saquon Barkley, Wayne Gallman, Evan Engram, and Sterling Shepard tonight. Best of Week Six: HOU @ KC - On paper it should be a shootout. I'm pulling for the Chiefs to get right and do the COlts a solid by knocking off their only...
  17. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week Five Thread***

Feels like the season is flying by. Rams @ Seahawks tonight. The forecast is calling for rain and a chance for storms so this could be a late one if there are any weather delays. It's one of a handful of good games on the schedule: TB @ NO - Are the Bucs for real or was hanging 55 on the...
  18. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week Four Thread***

Philly at Green Bay tonight. I like the Packers to finally break through on offense against the injury-riddled Eagles. Best of the rest of Week Four: Browns @ Ravens - Big AFC North matchup. If the Browns lose this one the Ravens have the inside track on the division. Vikes @ Bears -...
  19. jbindm

NFL: ***Official Week Three Thread***

Titans @ Jacksonville tonight for their annual Thursday night classic. Maybe Jalen Ramsey's last game as a Jaguar if he plays at all. Seems like the smart thing to do if they're exploring trade options would be to sit him and avoid the injury risk. Games I'm looking forward to: BAL @ KC -...
  20. jbindm

NFL: ***OFFICIAL WEEK ONE THREAD***

NFL football is back for real tonight! No more preseason nonsense. The Packers and Bears kick things off tonight in Chicago. Should be a pretty good one - Aaron Rodgers in a new offense, David Montgomery the feature back for Chicago, and the Bears and Bears fans holding their breath on every...