***2023-24 Mens College Basketball Thread***

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Rutgers is Rutgers. Juwan missed a tournament and is on the hot seat. Only reason he hasn’t been fired yet is because he went to the elite 8 and sweet 16 the first two years. That’s kinda my point making the tournament is the bare min to not getting fired, not necessarily success. You’ve gotta make some noise every once in while when you’re in the dance
If you go back the last decade he's made the tournament 8 out of 10 years including the 2020 projections. Matt Painter has the exact same amount of appearances in that time frame.

They ate actually tied with Purdue and Wisconsin for 2nd most appearances in that time frame. They aren't firing a coach like that.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
If you go back the last decade he's made the tournament 8 out of 10 years including the 2020 projections. Matt Painter has the exact same amount of appearances in that time frame.

They ate actually tied with Purdue and Wisconsin for 2nd most appearances in that time frame. They aren't firing a coach like that.
If there was nobody in the stands to see it, did it really happen?

Purdue had more fans than custodians, ushers, and ticket takers in the stands for all of those games, Iowa has maybe twice.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

During that same time Wisconsin also went to the final 4 and made it to the championship in different seasons. They also won the big ten championship 3 times, that’s hanging banners and putting trophies in the case.

That’s making noise like I said.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
During that same time Wisconsin also went to the final 4 and made it to the championship in different seasons. They also won the big ten championship 3 times, that’s hanging banners and putting trophies in the case.

That’s making noise like I said.
So that should be the expectation for Iowa becuase Wisconsin did it? They also had Bo Ryan, he coached circles around Fran.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Hes been go like 10 tournaments in 14 years but I'm a troll for thinking he should be back? Maybe you're a troll for thinking they would ever consider firing a guy with that much success?

He'll leave on his own terms, they aren't going to make another Davis to Alford mistake.

I guess if you think just making the tournament is a success, he’s your guy. Some fanbases consider that a minimum level of expectation.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I mean, with as many P6 teams make the tournament each year, it should be an expectation within all of them to make the tournament. Any year you don't is generally considered a bad year (some of those can be excused for rebuilding depending on the situation). In the big 10, 12 of 14 teams have made the field within the last 2 years. It isn't that special.

Is it a bad year by itself if you don't make the second weekend? No.

Is it a bad 5-10 years if you don't see the second weekend? Absolutely, at least if you're at a school that claims to care about basketball.

Last edited:

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So that should be the expectation for Iowa becuase Wisconsin did it? They also had Bo Ryan, he coached circles around Fran.
You were the one that brought up Wisconsin as a comparison to justify the tourney births and not firing a coach that only made the tourney and nothing more. I was saying that Wisconsin has made runs and won the conference title (similar to Purdue who you referenced) and that’s why it’s not a good comparison.

Look I don’t think your coach should be fired but I would totally understand the fans getting frustrated about never really making it past the first weekend and his seat getting warm.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

You can fire a coach for slightly above mediocrity with no progress or even with regression. Iowa basketball is currently in regression. Attendance is poor, even on weekends. There is a new AD. This is the perfect time to fire Fran so the new AD can make their own hire and re-excite the fan base

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Painter has had THREE S16s plus an E8 appearance out of those 8 appearances. That's 9 wins. How many does Fran have? Four, with zero S16s of course.

Also, Painter is a terrible coach.

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
Posted this in the Premium thread but relevant here as well.

TJ ain’t leaving for a long time, I can guarantee you that.

Beyond other reasons, you can see from the outside that he’s partly doing so well at Iowa State because of what Iowa State means to him at the core. That true passion propels him in ways he otherwise wouldn’t have (see SDSU, UNLV). Not that he’d try any less, but his genuineness and emotion for ISU truly make him successful on the court, in practice, and sitting in living rooms with recruits and their parents.

Every time TJ talks about ISU you want to run through a brick wall for him, just like Dan M did and still does for football.
It’s nice to not see TJ’s name mentioned as possible replacement, unlike CMC who all the “experts” always had taking seemingly every opening available. I think everyone knows this is where TJ wants to be.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You were the one that brought up Wisconsin as a comparison to justify the tourney births and not firing a coach that only made the tourney and nothing more. I was saying that Wisconsin has made runs and won the conference title (similar to Purdue who you referenced) and that’s why it’s not a good comparison.

Look I don’t think your coach should be fired but I would totally understand the fans getting frustrated about never really making it past the first weekend and his seat getting warm.

No AD ever fired a coach because of wins or losses. They fire a coach because of fan support and ultimately revenue coming in. If boosters stop buying tickets and donating money, you have to make a change. It doesn’t matter how many wins a coach gets.

Iowa fans just don’t care anymore. That alone requires his removal. The teams record doesn’t matter.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
But yet he's still 6-7 this year with no good players and a bunch of freshman? They are probably the least talented team in the Big 10 right now and are still around .500.

Are you arguing for or against his removal? Cause being the least talented team in the Big10 isn’t a ringing endorsement for a coach responsible for recruiting.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Are you arguing for or against his removal? Cause being the least talented team in the Big10 isn’t a ringing endorsement for a coach responsible for recruiting.
I honestly don't give a **** what they do either way. I just know they aren't firing a guy who just came off 5 straight tourneys and is 14-10 in a rebuilding year.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
This is the dumbest **** I've ever read in the history of this message board.
Not any worse than any of your posts. Are you Franisdaman on GIA? Rebuilding year? Isn’t that a given every year at Iowa?

Still haven’t answered my question yet.