New Depth Chart

jberryma

Oct 5, 2006
anyone else having issues getting this to open the depth chart? I keep getting the media guide to open.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
One thing to note...

A-Rob's status as starter on the two deep means NOTHING. They would be dumb to not list him there because of his injury and make it easy for Iowa not to prepare for him.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Same can be said about punt returning and not listing O'Connell. Make Iowa prepare for McDowell and LJ before anything else.

Do you honestly think Iowa prepares any differently for O'Connell than the do McDowell or LJ? It is punt coverage. The scheme is the same for everyone minus a Devin Hester.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Was LJ dinged up as well Saturday? Why didn't handle the return duties?

I did like watching Mike return the ball against SDSU.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Hopefully JJ can work his way up, he looked pretty explosive Saturday night - nice to see him break a few big runs in I.C.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Was LJ dinged up as well Saturday? Why didn't handle the return duties?

I did like watching Mike return the ball against SDSU.

He was returning kick offs as far as I remember. He also played out at corner, but he seems to be playing out of position a bit too much for my liking.

I think we're going to be missing Kennard a lot

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
LJ returned kickoffs and is the most exciting player we have had at that position in years. Almost broke a couple.

He doesn't seem to be a punt returner IMO. O'Connell did a good job at punt returns.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
LJ returned kickoffs and is the most exciting player we have had at that position in years. Almost broke a couple.

He doesn't seem to be a punt returner IMO. O'Connell did a good job at punt returns.

What is the difference in skills needed from a punt returner vs a kick-off returner?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Lack of a fear gene.

-keep

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
He was returning kick offs as far as I remember. He also played out at corner, but he seems to be playing out of position a bit too much for my liking.

I think we're going to be missing Kennard a lot

Thanks.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
What is the difference in skills needed from a punt returner vs a kick-off returner?

This is just my opinion, but I see Punt Returner's has being more shifty. Having better movement side to side

Kick Returners can have just straight speed. Now obviously the really good ones have both (Hester, Dante Hall, etc) but a lot of times you see a different punt returner in than a kick returner.

I am trying to think of the last time where we had somebody do both?

Harry

Mar 27, 2006
I think the most important aspect of a punt returner is to be able catch the ball in traffic. Kickoff returners have no one around them when they field the ball.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron