Response from Gazette sports editor

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
People still read newspapers?

Yup. I take the Star Tribune up here. There is more in the Tribune daily than both the Sunday Register and Sunday Gazette combined. And they retain enough staff to still do investigative reporting. Was in a hotel in NE Iowa a couple weeks ago and they had both papers in their breakfast room. I looked at both and thought , where's the rest of the paper. Nope, that tiny bit of print was the Sunday editions. I am kinda surprised anyone would subscribe for so little content. It was kinda shocking. Got me wondering if there is any serious free press left in Iowa.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
This is bs.

News is NEWS. Iowa State's win was the biggest sports news across the country. The problem is advertisers and market fragmentation. CR Gaz has little wiggle room to win or lose readers online or print so it gives the nod to Iowa percentages. Iowa State is the largest school in Iowa. It is not much farther from Ames to Des Moines than IC to CR yet the DM Reg covers Iowa big.

There are many ISU grads in Eastern Iowa, to ignore them is a risk CR Gaz is taking. My hope is U'o'I fortunes turns abysmal then watch the coverage if ISU stays relevant.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Yup. I take the Star Tribune up here. There is more in the Tribune daily than both the Sunday Register and Sunday Gazette combined. And they retain enough staff to still do investigative reporting. Was in a hotel in NE Iowa a couple weeks ago and they had both papers in their breakfast room. I looked at both and thought , where's the rest of the paper. Nope, that tiny bit of print was the Sunday editions. I am kinda surprised anyone would subscribe for so little content. It was kinda shocking. Got me wondering if there is any serious free press left in Iowa.

We have a nutjob who publishes our small town paper. That's the free press in Iowa.

I grew up loving to read the Sunday peach pages of the Register. They used to actually cover high school sports outside the DM metro. Now every day they fill up pages with Chad Leastacow and Randy whether anything is going on or not. They will cover Iowa baseball but refuse to acknowledge anything going on with ISU cross country or volleyball. Just a waste of paper.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I am actually stunned that any newspapers are still in existence. We have a Gannett rag in Fort Collins as well. Grew up in Marion/CR being forced to read their product there. I can total up all of the money I have spent subscribing, buying and/or advertising in any of these 'publications' and have change left from a 10.

They matter not to ISU athletics. For the last 48 hours ISU has been the hot story at the national level and I suspect CMC will have is in the national news again before long - and it won't be because we are anyone's fake ID.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Iowa State got virtually nothing in the Omaha World Herald. How do you think western Iowa cyclone fans feel?

All you have to do if you live in Council Bluffs is buy the Des Moines Register and forget about the World Herald....HellsBells...I grew up in Co Bluffs and never once read the Omaha World Herald.......

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
"You see, The Gazette is an Eastern Iowa newspaper that caters to readers from Sigourney to Decorah, Tama to Epworth. Cedar Rapids-Marion and Iowa City are our biggest markets. Through lots of surveys, analytics on our website and interaction with our readers, we know Iowa athletics — and Iowa football in this case — is No. 1 among our customers. A close second is our high school coverage."
As a newspaper editor Mr. Ogden could have cut that copy down to "**** You Iowa State fans."

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Those of us who live in eastern Iowa had given up on local sports news outlets long ago. That is why CF is so important.

I made the point to a former (retired) Gazette employee the other night that apparently the Gazette does not want to be a paper that serves a larger audience. He didn't like that, but told me he would support me for editor. Of course, I would first need to become a Gazette employee.

Reactions: cyfan21

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
For Cy-Hawk week, our local Hy-Vee set up a tailgating display with about 12 dozen Hawkeye apparel items, a Hawkeye tailgating tent, and on the other side, a Cyclone crock pot.:rolleyes: I was giving the kid (who I know well) doing merchandising a hard time, and he said he didn't order any of it, they just put out what corporate sends.:eek: The manager heard us talking and said the Hawk merchandise sells better. Yeah, we're southern Iowa but we are a little closer to Ames than Iowa City. Granted I only go there as a convenience store, prefer driving 20 miles to Fareway. But it is the prevalent attitude that no one but the Hawk fans matter.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Checked the Gazette's site Sunday morning just to read up...there was an article about UNI losing, Iowa's special teams and some other piece on Iowa and whoever they were playing.

Hlas put out a nice piece yesterday/last night--I think he actually goes to the Iowa games so at least he gave props when he could...he's usually pretty good about ISU's brand.

The DMR's site didn't exactly go crazy on the ISU game either.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
For Cy-Hawk week, our local Hy-Vee set up a tailgating display with about 12 dozen Hawkeye apparel items, a Hawkeye tailgating tent, and on the other side, a Cyclone crock pot.:rolleyes: I was giving the kid (who I know well) doing merchandising a hard time, and he said he didn't order any of it, they just put out what corporate sends.:eek: The manager heard us talking and said the Hawk merchandise sells better. Yeah, we're southern Iowa but we are a little closer to Ames than Iowa City. Granted I only go there as a convenience store, prefer driving 20 miles to Fareway. But it is the prevalent attitude that no one but the Hawk fans matter.
hawk gear probably sells better because there is 12 hawkeye things and only one ISU thing.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
The CR Gazette sports desk openly cheers against the Cyclones. I saw it on a weekly basis when I worked in the building.
I felt I was verbally threatened by Marc Morehouse a few years ago for questioning their coverage of Cyclone sports. It's not going to change. There are A LOT of Cyclone fans in Cedar Rapids that would spend $ if the coverage was better. It's a joke most of the time.

• Agree
Reactions: cc1091 and CTTB78

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
This is appearing in tomorrow's paper. He sent this link to me in response to my complaint. Interesting how the "wrap around" is sponsored space and locked up with the inner pages being the so called Front page. The only thing I agree with is he had no idea this huge upset was coming. I also can't believe anyone bothers to read 4 full pages of the great win over Illinois, Hawk fan or not.

It's just too much Hawks and little else. They really should see the sports banner to just read "Hawkeye Sports" and be done with it

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/gazette-sports-coverage-we-are-what-we-are-20171009

Why did I clink on that link?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I know Hawkeye fans in Des Moines that think Iowa State gets too much coverage. These are Hayden worshipers who think it's a central Iowa conspiracy to promote Iowa State and not reflective of actual fan population. Delusional doesn't begin to describe the people that live in/come from eastern Iowa.
So the giant pages every week especially after big wins are in suffient? That’s garbage.

• Creative
Reactions: IAStubborn

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron