Ticket Sales and Attendance

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Can't underplay how much the grass lots being closed effected the number of people in town for the game. I had many friends who didn't come up because they didn't know where to tailgate without the grass lots.

I think that this had a big impact on students also. Many stayed on campus or at their apartments because they couldn't have their typical tailgates near the stadium. It is a lot easier to stumble across the street to the game than to navigate riding the bus.

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR
I didn't show because ALL the public grass lots were closed and had no idea where to park or if I could park. I can't be the only season-ticket holder who chose to stay away because of the wet grounds from Thursday-Friday rains and flooding.
There was public grass parking by vet med open

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Don't want to blame youngster, but this is the reason why ISU's expansion was a head scratch for many of us. It certainly went against the trend.

Still, I said to my wife, while watching your game, "My gosh, look at how they support their team." So yes, it looked almost full on TV; at least the first part which we watched.
You don't build stadiums to your average crowd size, you build to your largest. If stadiums were built for the average crowd size, 75% of all college football stadiums should be 10-20k seats smaller.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
There was public grass parking by vet med open

Not very close to the stadium. If I am going that far, I would park on the paved lot at Vet Med. It was muddy Saturday. Haunted Forest was pretty muddy but dried out somewhat by the end of the game with the warm weather. Tailgating was definitely down big time with the early start and wet conditions.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Don't want to blame youngster, but this is the reason why ISU's expansion was a head scratch for many of us. It certainly went against the trend.

Still, I said to my wife, while watching your game, "My gosh, look at how they support their team." So yes, it looked almost full on TV; at least the first part which we watched.

It wasn't a head scratcher at all actually.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We had originally intended to bring our kids (6, 3 and 4 months). We figured it was a good game to show up right about game time, see about as much of it as we could bear with the kids, and if we left early, no big deal. The parking situation scared us off. I didn't feel like hiking 3 miles to get them to the game. Made sure my tickets were used, but in all it was an easy game to just decide to check out on TV.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
no one should ever, ever complain about our fan support for football.

we'll be lucky to win 10+ games in 4 years and there's debate if the stands should have 48k or 55k. its crazy its so high and has been so strong for so long.

I think we beat Kansas and will pull out a win in at least one of our late home games to win 3 games. Bottom line is that the team seems to be improving. We are very young. And we are building a foundation. Matt Campbell at least seems to have a plan. I will say that the 2 point conversion attempt last Saturday made no sense.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
you people who didn't go because of the grass grass lots... why not park at hyvee? or the mall and take cyride? seems like an excuse more than a real problem.

we parked behind the mall and got a guy to drop us off right at the stadium! less walking than normal!

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden

Classic surly post.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I was actually impressed with the crowd on Saturday considering we were 0-3. Winning easily and knowing we get a chance to knocked off ranked/undefeated Baylor should cause a bump in attendance next week. I expect to sell 54-55k

• Agree
Reactions: 2Xclone and CyBobby

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The crowd looked pretty good on TV!

Compare our crowd to the crazy number of empty seats at TCU for our game, and even Baylor looked weak on attendance for the OSU game, a large area in the upper deck was almost empty.

Agree! The crowd looked good on TV. I was surprised to hear the attendance number. It looked like a good crowd on a nice day.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Mini-packs only included the games of Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and West Virginia.

I do think that flooding might have kept a few people at home. I would agree with you on your estimate of season tickets sold. But IMO, we probably sold at least 42,000 and maybe a max of 44,000 or so. At any rate, it was a decent crowd for a winless home team playing a no name opponent.
Bingo. Couple that with the grass lots being closed and that explains a lot of empty seats.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Parking wasn't that bad and they did have a free Cyride shuttle around Campus. It was mostly empty heading towards the stadium. Though they could have gotten closer. Lots of empty spots North of the power plant and I imagine the Moly Bio lot was empty. The Gerdin parking lot appeared full enough that I drove by.

Although, it would be nice to know that 13th street was shut down. That was my preferred way in and out of town.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
you people who didn't go because of the grass grass lots... why not park at hyvee? or the mall and take cyride? seems like an excuse more than a real problem.

we parked behind the mall and got a guy to drop us off right at the stadium! less walking than normal!
You call it an excuse, but the fact is we are a school where the tailgate is the main event with the game coming after. It's the main reason our attendance is way higher than any other program with as poor a record as ours would be. Take away the tailgate, take away the fans who tailgate from the game.

This is also why we need to do what we can schedule-wise to have tailgate-friendly scheduling... Which this season most definitely doesn't have.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
You call it an excuse, but the fact is we are a school where the tailgate is the main event with the game coming after. It's the main reason our attendance is way higher than any other program with as poor a record as ours would be. Take away the tailgate, take away the fans who tailgate from the game.

This is also why we need to do what we can schedule-wise to have tailgate-friendly scheduling... Which this season most definitely doesn't have.

SO true tailgate schedule this year is brutal, save the UNI game.

Two 11am on warmer day weekends. Gross.
630 on a THURSDAY. - Do we really want this game nationally televised? Okla St. a few years back did little to help the brand. Hell it probably hurt ISUs BCS $ take that year.
Three in November, and one over Tgiving with students gone. Sad.

The big question I have is will ticket prices dip any in coming years? Better get the stadium paid for in a hurry.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm not sure where people get the idea that Vet Med is so far from the stadium. My sister whines about it when we tailgate there, yet she is also one of those Fitbit disciples.:rolleyes: Geez woman, it is at most a seven minute walk from the farthest point in Vet Med.

I think it was somewhere between 9:15 and 9:30 when Vet Med filled up. A little less sedate than normal because more people were there. And they do have that free shuttle that goes up there to take you to and from stadium.

Several of us adopted a family of a SJSU player and shared food and drink. Good times.

Help Support Us

Become a patron