****Official Class of 2017 Recruiting Thread****

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
If ISU could get Sexton to visit I think they have as good of chance as any. But the visit might be the hardest part

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Kansas already got Marcus Garrett. I'm sure Self is pitching they can play two PG's like they do now with Mason and Graham
In addition to Garrett they got Malik Newman sitting out who will be eligible in 2017 and he wants to play PG. I don't see that as a great fit for Sexton roster wise, but getting him on campus is concerning.

Honestly, an invite as a recruit to witness Midnight Madness at the Fog (and Kentucky's too) is an experience 90% of High School seniors would want to get. Validation of there potential. While I'd like it better if he declined and visited ISU instead, can't say I blame Sexton for being intrigued and attending.

Reactions: CyTwins

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
In addition to Garrett they got Malik Newman sitting out who will be eligible in 2017 and he wants to play PG. I don't see that as a great fit for Sexton roster wise, but getting him on campus is concerning.

Honestly, an invite as a recruit to witness Midnight Madness at the Fog (and Kentucky's too) is an experience 90% of High School seniors would want to get. Validation of there potential. While I'd like it better if he declined and visited ISU instead, can't say I blame Sexton for being intrigued and attending.

He will start anywhere he goes so I don't think roster fit is a concern.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't know if I agree with this. It doesn't seem any incoming freshman is just given a starting spot at KU. I'm pretty sure Self makes them earn it.

The only way he wouldn't be starting is if he is hurt. He is the best PG in the country and a top 10 recruit and I wouldn't be surprised if he is top 5 when all is said and done.

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
This is where a player like Malik Newman should have chosen more wisely, IMO because if Self lands a top 15 5-star like Sexton, Newman will probably be coming off the bench like all the other transfers Self's had there.

• Agree
Reactions: mctallerton

Mississippi Clone

Aug 6, 2016
I'm not sure about Sexton definitely starting, yes he is a great player and ranked in the top 10, but I think a position like point guard at the upper level D1 is more than just physical attributes, lots of mental aspects also. Not saying he won't start, but to say he will definitely start as a freshman point guard at one of the top 5 programs in the country seems a bit strong. Newman was one of the highest ranked prospects in the country coming out of high school, don't remember the exact ranking but offers from Kentucky etc. Didn't work out well for him at Mississippi State, not exactly sure why, but he was certainly not spectacular there. So then, if he had the talent to be a top ranked player coming out of high school and the system just didn't fit, now he has two years of experience to say Sexton definitely starts at Kansas seems strong, 'could possibly start' I can go with...

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Diallo was a totally different deal, IMO. He missed their summer trip, had all the academic uncertainty, and it sounds like he was pretty layz/nonchalant about practice.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
He will start anywhere he goes so I don't think roster fit is a concern.

It is very possible considering his talent but not a given considering the players at KU next year and Self's history with playing freshman. In many cases, top players like Sexton will like a clear path to playing time which is easier to see at Alabama or ISU rather than KU as of today. I would say the same thing if Monte had one more year and ISU gets a commitment from Wiggington. Just the idea of having X number of PG's on the roster compared to none in Sexton's mind.

Reactions: Thomasrickj

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Totally different players.
Every player is. We don't know how his first year of college will go. He wouldn't be the first sure-fire starter not to start. I'm not saying the chances are great, don't get me wrong.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
It is very possible considering his talent but not a given considering the players at KU next year and Self's history with playing freshman. In many cases, top players like Sexton will like a clear path to playing time which is easier to see at Alabama or ISU rather than KU as of today. I would say the same thing if Monte had one more year and ISU gets a commitment from Wiggington. Just the idea of having X number of PG's on the roster compared to none in Sexton's mind.

KU is planning on Graham being gone. That leaves Newman, Vick and Garret. So you think Sexton isn't playing over Garret and Vick? Sorry I don't buy that. some players may be worried about a roster but most aren't when they are that good. Look at Kentucky and Duke. They have numerous highly ranked players sitting on the bench. Since when have you seen top ten players go to places like ISU or Alabama bc of playing time concerns? If he picks ISU or Alabama it won't be bc he is scared of the current guards at KU.

As for Wigginton, not the same. And if Morris was coming back and Sexton was coming to ISU I would expect him to play along side Morris.