Smart TV vs Regular?

clone4lyfe

May 21, 2008
West Des Moines
So my TV took a crap the other day. I was thinking about buying a smart tv so we could access Netflix & use it's other online services. In looking at tv reviews I found an article saying smart tv's are actually a bad idea because the software isn't set up to accept upgrades when an app on it puts out the upgrades. It said pretty much in 2 years I would be buying a media service box like Roka or Apple TV box. I'm not very techno savy. Anybody with knowledge have advice? Should I just buy an LCD or LED tv & a Roku box or look into a Smart TV?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'd probably wait to see what gains market share and sticks around.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Regardless of what TV you decide on, make sure you read the consumer reports review on it.

If it was me, I would look at the price difference. If a smart TV is going to be $200 more than a regular HD TV, then it isn't worth it because you can just buy something like a Roku for a lot less than the $200 difference. If the difference is not very much, then I would go for it.

When shopping, go to slickdeals.net. I got a great deal on a 50 inch Samsung through them

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Are smart TVs actually that popular? I'm too lazy/dumb to look up numbers, but I can't see people paying a couple hundred extra bucks to access Hulu and Netflix thru their TV. I'd have to imagine most people nowadays have some sort of device that already does that stuff for them (gaming console, Roku), so I just don't see the appeal of a smart TV.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
So my TV took a crap the other day. I was thinking about buying a smart tv so we could access Netflix & use it's other online services. In looking at tv reviews I found an article saying smart tv's are actually a bad idea because the software isn't set up to accept upgrades when an app on it puts out the upgrades. It said pretty much in 2 years I would be buying a media service box like Roka or Apple TV box. I'm not very techno savy. Anybody with knowledge have advice? Should I just buy an LCD or LED tv & a Roku box or look into a Smart TV?

I would say at this point, any good tv you are going to be looking at will include smart features, and I honestly wouldn't base my purchase decision on them. When you can buy something like a Chromecast for like $30, who cares if the tv has smart features or not, or whether they are any good. Chances are most people already own a blu ray player or game console that can already do all of these things. I got a new tv last year that has smart features, and I have never used them. I just continue to do netflix, hulu, YouTube etc on my xbox the same as I did with my old tv.

i would focus on picture quality, price, and other features you care about before looking too closely at smart features. You can find another way to watch netflix, you can't easily fix crappy picture quality.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Smart TV features arent really an upsell anymore are they? I can't imagine it being near a $200 up charge, more something they just throw in now.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Smart TV features arent really an upsell anymore are they? I can't imagine it being near a $200 up charge, more something they just throw in now.

You'd be surprised. I'm not sure the average consumer is versed enough on this "upsell", so they likely still go for it.

Personally, I have a "dumb TV" with Chromecast.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

It's been a few years since I tv shopped but do they even make "regular" TV's anymore? Seems like the apps should be like software on a new pc or something along those lines. Personally, I have a smart TV (3rd TV in the bedroom) and it never gets utilized due to years of watching apps on my 360.

I'd say if you had any interest in the apps, you pry already figured out how to access them, if not, you're pry not going to use what the smart TV's are capable of anyway. Like others said, the apps are nice but def not anything to base buying your TV off of. There's a good chance a smart TV is going to be your highest quality TV anyway, simply bc its newer.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

In my bedroom where I just have TV and no other devices, I like the Smart TV and would pay for it if it was upgradable. I have Amazon Fire TV in my main room and I like that much better than the smart TV. Much smoother and easier.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Regardless of what TV you decide on, make sure you read the consumer reports review on it.

If it was me, I would look at the price difference. If a smart TV is going to be $200 more than a regular HD TV, then it isn't worth it because you can just buy something like a Roku for a lot less than the $200 difference. If the difference is not very much, then I would go for it.

When shopping, go to slickdeals.net. I got a great deal on a 50 inch Samsung through them
Agree on both the bolded section & checking out slickdeals. Good advice.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
It seems going forward that any TV provider is going to force you to use their box (outside of local OTA). This boxes (especially satellite) typically have the smart functions built in now. So you're better off getting a dumb monitor and let the box do the heavy lifting.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Like others have said if you have other devices a smart tv is almost worthless.

With my Xbox One and Chromecast I have never felt a need for a smart tv. Between those two devices I have more features that I could even want.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This is pretty much a question of quality. If you care a lot about the image and quality of your TV then you will be getting a smart TV. If you want to sacrifice the quality of TV to save some money then chances are you won't have smart features.

As an aside, the smart features on TV's suck in general. You may end up wanting to get a Roku or some other device because they function better than the smart features on most TV's anyways.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
This is pretty much a question of quality. If you care a lot about the image and quality of your TV then you will be getting a smart TV. If you want to sacrifice the quality of TV to save some money then chances are you won't have smart features.

As an aside, the smart features on TV's suck in general. You may end up wanting to get a Roku or some other device because they function better than the smart features on most TV's anyways.

SmartTV has nothing to do with picture image/quality.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
SmartTV has nothing to do with picture image/quality.

Not directly. My point is the only options out there without smart functionality are budget priced TV's that are lacking in other areas as well. At least that's what I found when I looked into buying my new TV last fall.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Not directly. My point is the only options out there without smart functionality are budget priced TV's that are lacking in other areas as well. At least that's what I found when I looked into buying my new TV last fall.

Yes this was what I wad originally trying to get at. If the tv has decent picture quality aka not made as a budget tv, won't it already have Smart features. I guess my question was asking if these nicer tv's even come without a Smart tv option, and if so what that pricing difference would be for the feature. The last few years I've shopped, anything I've looked at in a good quality led always comes with smart.

I dont think either of the leds I bought had similiar models with the same specs without Smart TV

Last edited:

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
I have a smart TV and love it. I have other devices hooked up but the TV makes for a really seamless transition and make it a lot quicker to get into it. Also, my Samsung does update apps.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Get a nice, high quality, large TV for much cheaper than a smart TV, and get a google TV box or something that updates its software. You won't need to buy another TV for a very long time.