NCAA finally takes a look at Texas

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
wow, someone should make a post telling them that ten games is a slap on the wrist and give them a link describing Lucca's situation. They seriously need a reality check.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Wow, the NCAA is so just. They gave Texas a nice slap on the wrist. I'd like go give them a slap in the balls...the pissed off, heterosexual kind.

jl112481

Jul 25, 2007
Franklin, WI
"UT officials believe Balbay will lose about 10 games."

Hmmm...Sounds familiar doesn't it? Wait until TX fans find out how much time he may actually have to sit out. Then the boards will really light up.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
"UT officials believe Balbay will lose about 10 games."

Hmmm...Sounds familiar doesn't it? Wait until TX fans find out how much time he may actually have to sit out. Then the boards will really light up.

Yes, but I would be very surprised if the NCAA followed through on the precedent they set with Lucca and Boeke and actually suspended Balbay for the whole year. It will be about a 10-game suspension, and the NCAA will be patting themselves on the back for following the rules.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
Yes, but I would be very surprised if the NCAA followed through on the precedent they set with Lucca and Boeke and actually suspended Balbay for the whole year. It will be about a 10-game suspension, and the NCAA will be patting themselves on the back for following the rules.

I think it depends on how many games Balbay played on the team. If he played on the team for several seasons, then he should get the same 1 year forfeiture of eligibility (the maximum penalty). However, if he played fewer than 30-35 games (or however many there are in a full NCAA season), then I think they do a 1 for 1 suspension (10 games played, 10 games suspended). I bet a lot of people on this board will be following this story pretty closely.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Shouldn't Texas have to forfeit every game that Balaby's played in this year? I mean, if that's the spirit of the rule and how we would have been judged if we had played Lucca anyway...

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Did anyone catch this bit:

Nikita Mescheriakov, a freshman at Georgetown, was docked 10 games by the NCAA for playing briefly on a pro team in Belarus.

I want to know how his situation differed from Staiger's and Boeke's. Georgetown and Texas are 2 prominent programs so yet another example how the bigger programs seem to get the breaks when it comes to stuff like this.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I want to know how his situation differed from Staiger's and Boeke's. Georgetown and Texas are 2 prominent programs so yet another example how the bigger programs seem to get the breaks when it comes to stuff like this.

Mescheriakov only played a few games, Lucca played nearly two years...

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
I think you would be right if he had played though, jdoggivjc.

As to Travman's question, I don't know for sure, but I believe the difference is the number of games played. I believe the NCAA uses a 1 for 1 rule with respect to suspensions for playing on a "pro" team. Lucca and Boeke were hit harder because they played for multiple seasons on their team. If they had just played on a weekend tournament team or something like that, their suspensions would have most likely been much shorter. I don't think it has anything to do with it being ISU and WSU vs. G-Town and UT, but who knows, maybe it does.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
See this is another thing that irks me. Players get X ammount of games for taking benefits or whatever too which is sometimes inconsistent. Then you have guys that test the draft waters by going to NBA camps and workouts then return that get no penalties at all which I'm all for retaining those players another year but isn't that in a sense playing with professionals but not getting paid?

The NCAA needs to realize that this is the nature of the beast in European basketball. This is the only way some of those kids get to play and get recognized enough to get recruited. As long as they personally took no money and benefits they should not be punished just like the players that are playing against guys with agents and are now considered professionals when they test the NBA draft waters. I think those NBA camps are much more dirty than playing on these pro teams overseas as you have slimey agents and team officials trying to convince you to go pro and offering money and perks hoping to sway you.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

Again comes down to the number of games played. This was discussed in Lucca's situation as well. The thing is he played a full
season, where I believe these other guys played like 10-20 games.

Don't think there is any grassy knoll in this particular instance.

Help Support Us

Become a patron