How I Met Your Mother

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I just thought I'd go on record saying I've never found this show to be funny. That's all I have to contribute.
Me either. It's difficult for me to get past Neil Patrick Harris playing the character he does. I'm not a homophobe, it just makes the show too unbelievable.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I was a big fan of this show at the beginning when they had some of the great concepts in modern comedy with the "lemon law" and the "crazy-hot scale" but since I haven't really been able to get into it as much. It has gone from a "never miss" type show to a "meh" type show for me.

Any time you start emphasizing dramatic story lines instead of comedy, these shows taper off quickly. This also happened with the Office. Ted is a whiner, Robin is boring, Lily is annoying, Marshall has moments of greatness but has been watered down. Barney continues to be a beacon of hope for people who enjoyed the show early on that it will return to greatness.

In summary, just end it already...

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
HIMYM was my favorite show in its first few seasons. (It has now been replaced by the Big Bang Theory.) The characters were much more relatable and the plot lines were more interesting. The show was really popular and the writers decided to milk it. That's when it went downhill. The characters have become caricatures of themselves, making it a bit too ridiculous.

The show still has some funny moments but it has been stretched too thin. I really want them to wrap it up. Every time they hint at a possible conclusion, they try and stretch it more. They are hinting now that Ted will "meet the mother" at Barneys wedding. This season is just going to be stretching to get to that point unfortunately.
It will hopefully lead to more growth with Barneys character though. I also understand where they are going with some of the plot lines. They are trying to show how the group goes from always being together to being friend even when they aren't together all the time. I understand that, but they stretching about 3 seasons too far.

I will still watch the show ever week until we finally reach the end. Unfortunately I have a feeling that the ending might be dissapointing. It will be really tough for them to find an actress that will live up to what they have built for so many seasons. My wife has found talk on fan sites that they are looking to cast a "big name" as the mother as well. That is going to suck. I can't picture some big name being the mother. I would rather have a relative unknown come in and base the character solely on the writing rather than whatever else she has been in.

Sorry for the rant.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I never thought the show was all that funny. What I did think is that the premise of the show was fantastic. I watched the first few seasons but it lost me after that because you just never felt like you got anywhere. It should have been about a 4 season show. Ted's going to be with Robin, that's evident to me anyway.

I just wish a lot of these shows would do like Prison Break and design the things to run for a shorter period of time. I think the shows are just better that was.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Definitely should have been capped at 4 seasons.

On the same line, I don't if anyone here watches Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure what the hell they're going to do for the 5th season.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The show has ran its course. There are only so many years you can get out of 20somethings trying to find their place in life.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
Definitely should have been capped at 4 seasons.

On the same line, I don't if anyone here watches Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure what the hell they're going to do for the 5th season.

I watch that show and I was wondering the same after the way this past season ended. I suppose Hank's character will have a bigger role next season and Walt will have to try and steer clear of him.

Or maybe they'll just buy another RV and start over.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
This show still has its moments, but I agree with a lot that has been said in this thread.

The Big Bang Theory is the Best Show on CBS IMO.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I watch that show and I was wondering the same after the way this past season ended. I suppose Hank's character will have a bigger role next season and Walt will have to try and steer clear of him.

Or maybe they'll just buy another RV and start over.

I think Hank v. Walt will be a story line, as there will likely be an investigation into the bombing and what not. I also think the FBI will start looking into Jesse's knowledge of ricin. Mike is going to be involved too. Not sure if he has any loyalty to Gus that would cause him to want to come back after Walt, or what.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I never thought the show was all that funny. What I did think is that the premise of the show was fantastic. I watched the first few seasons but it lost me after that because you just never felt like you got anywhere. It should have been about a 4 season show. Ted's going to be with Robin, that's evident to me anyway.

I just wish a lot of these shows would do like Prison Break and design the things to run for a shorter period of time. I think the shows are just better that was.

The narrator (future Ted) has referred to Robin as Aunt Robin on multiple occassions. Also, she can't have children so...

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I just told my daughter last week that HIMYM was going the same way as friends. Plot gets too serious, not a comedy anymore. Last night's show was a train wreck.

Big Bang has been my favorite show since its first season. They somehow are keeping the comedy fresh in spite of all the developing relationships. Sounds bad, but I think relationships and kids can really spoil a comedy.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Wasn't Ted's wife in his classroom when he was a professor? I'll admit, I haven't watched the show in a few years. I just think it's really ridiculous now. Three or four seasons is all it should have lasted. Kids in real life would have never listened to a story this long.

Oh yeah, will Bob Saget be in the finale?

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I think Hank v. Walt will be a story line, as there will likely be an investigation into the bombing and what not. I also think the FBI will start looking into Jesse's knowledge of ricin. Mike is going to be involved too. Not sure if he has any loyalty to Gus that would cause him to want to come back after Walt, or what.

I also wonder if Walt might try and take over the operation from Gustavo, but I think that would have too many complications. Not to mention their lab is no more.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Wasn't Ted's wife in his classroom when he was a professor? I'll admit, I haven't watched the show in a few years. I just think it's really ridiculous now. Three or four seasons is all it should have lasted. Kids in real life would have never listened to a story this long.

Oh yeah, will Bob Saget be in the finale?

I believe so. That's the thing. There are a bunch of references made through out the show about Ted and the mother actually being in the same place, and I just think that the writers have gone in so many circles that whoever the mother ends up being, it won't line up with what had previously happened in the show, and that insults the viewer's intelligenc, IMO.

Then again, it's CBS.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I just told my daughter last week that HIMYM was going the same way as friends. Plot gets too serious, not a comedy anymore. Last night's show was a train wreck.

Big Bang has been my favorite show since its first season. They somehow are keeping the comedy fresh in spite of all the developing relationships. Sounds bad, but I think relationships and kids can really spoil a comedy.

I think you can definitely manage to do a sitcom where characters change, grow, and go in different directions and still be super funny. Parks & Rec is a good example of this.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I think you can definitely manage to do a sitcom where characters change, grow, and go in different directions and still be super funny. Parks & Rec is a good example of this.

I was about to say that I thought I saw Ted saying (the actor anyway) that this was the last year. Upon further reflection though that might have been Chuck instead. Either way, I've always liked this show but have never been able to watch it that consistently and have probably seen one show all season. I can see though where the entire premise might be pretty thin at this point. Even a couple of years ago the line was starting to get hard to follow although each indivisual episode was amusing enough to make me forget that.

As for whomever doenst like it because gay NPH cant play a womanizing Barney, youre a doof.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I also wonder if Walt might try and take over the operation from Gustavo, but I think that would have too many complications. Not to mention their lab is no more.

That's something I thought of, as Walt and Jesse could decide they want more money, and in the absence of Gustavo, see an opportunity. But like you said, no more super-lab seems to put the kibosh on that.

Help Support Us

Become a patron