New football improvements are great but..

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Why are we sinking $10.4 million into non revenue sports? That seems like an extremely large number. There are a large amount of improvements needed in our revenue sports that I believe should be addressed first.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
1. There is a sizable donation being laid out for a portion. Sometimes you take the money while its there.
2. Our existing track facility is completely non-functional. This really isnt just 'improvements', its something we really need to have if we're going to have the program at all.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Not that we should ignore all other programs, but spending 10.4 million vs 4 million seems a little lopsided.

If there are large donations that would require track and those sports be included, I'm fine with it. But we could do some serious stadium improvement with a portion of the money given to those non revenue sports.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Not that we should ignore all other programs, but spending 10.4 million vs 4 million seems a little lopsided.

If there are large donations that would require track and those sports be included, I'm fine with it. But we could do some serious stadium improvement with a portion of the money given to those non revenue sports.

We just did massive stadium improvements over the last two years, and built a new practice facility for our Mens BB program.

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
Maybe if we bowled in the South enzone or built the Jaime Pollard Family Dome for football, it would end these attacks on the non-revenue sports?:no: I think football is king, too, but I realize you have to keep other sports around for your athletic programs to be a success. Most of the top schools in the Director's cup don't make a name for themselves just by winning National Championships in football.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
You can't tell me our facilities in our two most important revenue generating sports couldn't use upgrades in any place.

Aaron Jacobs

Sep 24, 2007
Robins, IA
Maybe if we bowled in the South enzone or built the Jaime Pollard Family Dome for football, it would end these attacks on the non-revenue sports?:no: I think football is king, too, but I realize you have to keep other sports around for your athletic programs to be a success. Most of the top schools in the Director's cup don't make a name for themselves just by winning National Championships in football.

Correct. Stanford wins it because they have every D1 athletic program at their school.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
They've gotten improvements the last few years. It is longgggg overdue for track to get a new outdoor track. You have to keep everyone happy to have a solid overall athletic dept. If you think its ridiculous for track to get a new track, I urge you to go to the southwest athletic complex and look at the condition of that track. Its horrible.

cysocool

Jul 12, 2010
Pollard's a big track and field guy and we have some tradition there. We have the largest indoor track in the world, a designated cross country course, and a new world class track sounds good to me.

I think if we have a top teer track program, it might keep JP happy in Ames and I'm all for that.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
You can't tell me our facilities in our two most important revenue generating sports couldn't use upgrades in any place.

You also can't tell me that we didn't do the following:

1. Widen the concourses on both sides of Jack Trice.
2. Build a new Basketball practice facility, benefiting both revenue and non-revenue sports (although our WBB might be revenue generating at this point)
3. Release plans to build a new scoreboard and sound system.

Our athletics dept has spent a significant amount of money on major sport improvements every year for the last 4 years or so.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron