Wouldn't It Be Nice?

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
So we're learning that Texas is with Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are sticking together and Kansas and Kansas State are sticking together. Wouldn't it be nice (if the Big XII world came to an end) if Iowa would try and talk us up in the B1G? First off it would terrible for the state and the city of Ames if we weren't in a major conference. Also if we were in the MWC, Big, East, etc and we played Iowa in their non-con schedule it would look bad for them, seeing that we would be in a lesser league. I would hope that Iowa would help us out a little and put the rivalry aside for the time being.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
So we're learning that Texas is with Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are sticking together and Kansas and Kansas State are sticking together. Wouldn't it be nice (if the Big XII world came to an end) if Iowa would try and talk us up in the B1G? First off it would terrible for the state and the city of Ames if we weren't in a major conference. Also if we were in the MWC, Big, East, etc and we played Iowa in their non-con schedule it would look bad for them, seeing that we would be in a lesser league. I would hope that Iowa would help us out a little and put the rivalry aside for the time being.

I have a better chance of winning the lotto.....and I don't play.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB

Iowa has no pull in the B1G

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Kansas and K-State are not tied together, and the only reason OU and OSU are tied together is because OU decided to be the "nice" older brother and take them along for the ride.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

If, by some long shot we got into the B1G it would have nothing to do with Iowa. They will never lift a finger to help us. The majority of their fans want what Wisconsin has; campuses across a system - U of I @ Ames. There are BOR member past and present with this attitude.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I don't think this has a thing to do with the rivalry. It would work to Iowa's advantage to have ISU in the Big 10, then they could add another directional school to the non-conference slate and not have to give up a game that they want as bad as ISU. In the end this still looks like it is all about money and adding ISU to the Big 10 would not add a lot of bucks to the funds. Time will tell what happens, because I have no clue, and I don't think anyone else does either.....

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
The situations are ENTIRELY different. I get tired of this. We have no history of being together athletically...ever. The other insitutions have always been together athletically.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The situations are ENTIRELY different. I get tired of this. We have no history of being together athletically...ever. The other insitutions have always been together athletically.

How quickly we forget those three golden years in the MVC, 1907-09.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
When I see the likes of Okie St and Texas Tech rubbing elbows with Cal, USC and UCLA then I'll believe it. I'm pretty skeptical that there are 9 schools in the Pac 12 that would allow 2 schools with such bad academic credentials to join up with them.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
When I see the likes of Okie St and Texas Tech rubbing elbows with Cal, USC and UCLA then I'll believe it. I'm pretty skeptical that there are 9 schools in the Pac 12 that would allow 2 schools with such bad academic credentials to join up with them.

It makes no sense geographically or academically, but if Larry Scott wants them in and they are willing to pull the trigger as an institution, they will be in the P12. Scott holds the cards unfortunately.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Other conferences want UT, so they have leverage. Other conferences want OU, so they have leverage. KU is only tied to KSU as long as they both have options, but they won't go down with the ship if that is what it comes to.

Iowa can't help us because they have nothing to offer. They are in the league they want to be in, and nobody is after their services. They are a filler team in the league, so they can't do much more for us than cast a single vote on our membership application. I really don't get why so many people can't see the difference between the Iowa/ISU situation and the situation of the other Big 12 schools.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
No other school treats their instate rival any different than they do. You can bet South Carolina doesn't want Clemson in the SEC, same with Florida/Florida St/Miami or Georgia/Georgia Tech and even now UTah/BYU. The schools in TX, OK and KS are already tied together, they belong to the same conference. If this weren't the case you'd see a much different attitude. I love a good Hawk bashing thread as much as the next guy but this is really just the right move for them.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If, by some long shot we got into the B1G it would have nothing to do with Iowa. They will never lift a finger to help us. The majority of their fans want what Wisconsin has; campuses across a system - U of I @ Ames. There are BOR member past and present with this attitude.

I wish you would quit confusing what a bunch of idiot Tavern Hoks think for what the university itself thinks. Tavern Hoks you have pegged - they only care about their ego and watching ISU go down in flames would be the biggest thing ever to stoke their ego. But Tavern Hoks are not the same thing as the U of Iowa, and Tavern Hoks don't make the decisions there, either. The U of Iowa wants to do what's best for the state and it's education system, and a relevant ISU does that. If the U of Iowa had it in their power they would pull ISU into the B1G, no matter how many Tavern Hoks it pisses off and how many obscenities they scream. The problem is, as far as anyone knows, the U of Iowa doesn't have the power to pull us in.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
It makes no sense geographically or academically, but if Larry Scott wants them in and they are willing to pull the trigger as an institution, they will be in the P12. Scott holds the cards unfortunately.

doesn't the PAC12 have to be an unanimous vote to allow each school in? Colorado holds the power now and get stick it to all of them, if that is the case.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No other school treats their instate rival any different than they do. You can bet South Carolina doesn't want Clemson in the SEC, same with Florida/Florida St/Miami or Georgia/Georgia Tech and even now UTah/BYU. The schools in TX, OK and KS are already tied together, they belong to the same conference. If this weren't the case you'd see a much different attitude. I love a good Hawk bashing thread as much as the next guy but this is really just the right move for them.

You mean just like Virginia didn't want Virginia Tech in the ACC, yet voted for their inclusion anyway? :rolleyes:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
doesn't the PAC12 have to be an unanimous vote to allow each school in? Colorado holds the power now and get stick it to all of them, if that is the case.

There's a theory out there that CU doesn't hold full voting rifts at the moment or in some other way are being muzzled, so what CU thinks or says at the moment is pretty irrelevant. If OU and Texas want in, they're in and CU can sit and spin.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
You mean just like Virginia didn't want Virginia Tech in the ACC, yet voted for their inclusion anyway? :rolleyes:

Well that move also brought in Miami and BC, if we were part of a group of teams voted on by the big 10 and it made sense I think you could see a change in attitude. What do we honestly bring to the big 10 on our own? If we were packaged with a ND or another name they wanted I'd like our chances.