Why not? 32 team Big 10 / Pac 12 Alliance

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
At some point this is just developing into 2 mega conferences (ala NFC/AFC) right? Just split into a south conference and a north conference? SEC and Big 10 just divvy up the remaining teams other than the handful that get left out. Not sure how this works for a regular season schedule but it has to be where this is going. I wouldn’t be glued to CFB Saturday’s if there are only 24-32 teams.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
some day it will be interesting to know what has been planned for months and what has been sudden reactions.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It DOES seem to work around the B1G AAU requirement. Add ISU and KU to B1G since both are AAU. Add the rest to the Pac12. Since they are specifically NOT in the B1G and only sharing a sports alliance/agreement this could theoretically work.
PAC said they are looking at AAU schools too. They wouldn't have the room to turn some away like the B1G though.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
I suggested much the same last week as a defensive move by the B1G to make sure their top dogs don't get poached. It's pre-emptive self defense.

Not a single 32 team league, it would be a deep partnership- merge the Pac network into the B1G network, since the latter works and the former doesn't. Work together on scheduling, create marquee matchups. Creates oodles of content from sea to shining sea (Rutgers to USC). You would have a claim to being "true" college sports and not over-corporatized over-monetized (while still printing money of course). It could work.

IF it happens depends on what the B1G is thinking regarding this move by the SEC. Are they going to be aggressive and try to leapfrog, just play catchup and add a couple teams, or just stand pat? Who knows.

It sucks that ISU's fate is tied up B1G power brokers' decision calculus, but here we are. The B1G does have the luxury of time.... but not too much time, b/c eventually other players (Pac 12, Big 12 orphans, ACC, even the SEC) may make more moves that take teams off the table and restrict the B1G's options. I think the B1G needs to go big and their announcement today reaffirming their preference for AAU schools (of which the Pac 12 has 7, IIRC) is a signal that they are looking to the West Coast for national brands and potential play off contenders. Of course, I think ISU is firmly in that conversation, as well, and may come as part of a Pac 12/Big 12 AAU package deal. But, with several Pac 12 teams in play, it may take time to work itself out.

A side benefit of the process working out over time is watching UT and OU sweat over their $150M Big 12 buyouts.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Just make it a minor league with 8 divisions of 9 teams. winners go to the playoffs boom done. give me money.