Where the CSP haters now???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Someone mentioned that throwing the ball to Shayok in the corner at the end of the K State game was bad coaching. I apologize, but find it hard to believe that was the play Prohm drew up. No doubt, he told them to get the ball to Shayok if they could, but not in the corner.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Unwarranted..... ???? Did your watch the end of the KSt game? We won that game despite the worst coaching down the stretch that I've seen in a long time. I like Coach Prohm, but to think he is infallible or can't improve is ludicrous.

What specific things would you change at the end of the KSU game?

You'll likely say inbounds play...so what inbounds play would you specifically draw up?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
We've pulled out of a nosedive that had most of us worried. Those that were unworried were not paying attention. The pitchforks and lanterns are safely stowed back in the barn. We are all back on the bandwagon. Prohm is a good guy and a good recruiter and a good coach. He's not an XandO genius; if he was, he'd be coaching at the next higher level.

But who said we weren’t worried? The game in Austin was as mad as I have ever been after a game.

But Jesus Christ look at the post directly above, and directly below this one. That’s the stupid **** that jsb was talking about.

We didn’t win against k state in spite of prohm. That’s the crew mentality in clear action. Quit trying to pretend it’s not there

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Someone mentioned that throwing the ball to Shayok in the corner at the end of the K State game was bad coaching. I apologize, but find it hard to believe that was the play Prohm drew up. No doubt, he told them to get the ball to Shayok if they could, but not in the corner.
I don't know if it was someone else, but I mentioned that it was bad coaching not to be aware of timeouts available and to have your kids prepared for that. In the Tenn/KY game yesterday, Tenn left a starter out there with 11 minutes to go and he quickly picks up his fifth and fouled out.It happens in all ways, shapes and forms.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
What specific things would you change at the end of the KSU game?

You'll likely say inbounds play...so what inbounds play would you specifically draw up?

You aren't serious are you? The inbounds play where Shayok turned the ball over.

We were up 4 so Prohm assumed KSt was going to foul so he drew up a play to get Shayok the ball... Unfortunately he drew it up to so he could catch it in the worst possible place: . guarded by the sideline and the endline in the corner where 2 wildcats were waiting to trap. Shayok had no room to breathe. In addition, he should have POUNDED into his head that we had a TO left to burn. Instead, we turn it over giving KSt life. The next play down court Stokes takes a 3 and Jacobsen fouls him on a shot that almost goes in for a 4 pt play opportunity. Prohm should have been telling to stay off of them to prevent this exact scenario. We got soooooo lucky Stokes doesn't bury that 3 and only hit 2/3 FTs.

In regards to getting the ball in on the inbound..... Literally any conservative pass in works. Pass it back over half court to Shayok if you need to, but you need to keep it in the open so they can't trap. Ensuring everyone understands you have another TO to burn in case of an emergency. Ensuring everyone knows not to foul on a 3. A truly awful series that could have cost the game directly attributable to coaching boiled onto 5 seconds of game clock. A learning opportunity for sure, but awful.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You aren't serious are you? The inbounds play where Shayok turned the ball over.

We were up 4 so Prohm assumed KSt was going to foul so he drew up a play to get Shayok the ball... Unfortunately he drew it up to so he could catch it in the worst possible place: . guarded by the sideline and the endline in the corner where 2 wildcats were waiting to trap. Shayok had no room to breathe. In addition, he should have POUNDED into his head that we had a TO left to burn. Instead, we turn it over giving KSt life. The next play down court Stokes takes a 3 and Jacobsen fouls him on a shot that almost goes in for a 4 pt play opportunity. Prohm should have been telling to stay off of them to prevent this exact scenario. We got soooooo lucky Stokes doesn't bury that 3 and only hit 2/3 FTs.

In regards to getting the ball in on the inbound..... Literally any conservative pass in works. Pass it back over half court to Shayok if you need to, but you need to keep it in the open so they can't trap. Ensuring everyone understands you have another TO to burn in case of an emergency. Ensuring everyone knows not to foul on a 3. A truly awful series that could have cost the game directly attributable to coaching boiled onto 5 seconds of game clock. A learning opportunity for sure, but awful.

This is dumb and wrong. Thank you for proving my point.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
I don't know if it was someone else, but I mentioned that it was bad coaching not to be aware of timeouts available and to have your kids prepared for that. In the Tenn/KY game yesterday, Tenn left a starter out there with 11 minutes to go and he quickly picks up his fifth and fouled out.It happens in all ways, shapes and forms.
Generally during timeout at the end of close games, one of the assistants is responsible for informing the players if the team has any timeouts left and another assistant informs them who has the possession arrow. It's possible that nobody did that, but equally plausible that the player did not get the message or simply forgot in the heat of moment. Al la Chris Weber.

• Optimistic
Reactions: tzjung

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

So, you know for a fact that the play was drawn up for Shayok to catch the ball in that exact, specific spot?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
The fact of the matter is that the guy that yelled out did a favor for Steve, the team, and fans.
Prohm has coached with a chip on his shoulder ever since and up to his point, has saved the season. Sometimes external criticism is what it takes.
I wasn’t sure this thread could become more stupid, but damn this is the dumbest ******* thing I’ve seen in some time. Kudos

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha

I agree that Jacobson should not have fouled Stokes, but have a hard time putting that on coach.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
This thread is stupid. We ******* won the tournament and Prohm is a huge part of that. I just some think that we shouldn't gloss over some end of game problems that all of us should hope doesn't happen again. You don't think coaches watch tape to see where they can improve?

Congrats to this team for an awesome tournament. Let's use this as a springboard for bigger and better things this week!!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
You know there is a history feature here, right?

And it would be so much easier to respect your crew if you all would just be honest. Clonedlion, for all the things I disagree with him about, at least was.

Listen to Naz’s interview with the register on one of the links. They all knew what was being said.

The one thing I’ll say here is that it wasn’t just fans calling the team soft. There were national analysts saying just that. And the team had earned it at that point.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Generally during timeout at the end of close games, one of the assistants is responsible for informing the players if the team has any timeouts left and another assistant informs them who has the possession arrow. It's possible that nobody did that, but equally plausible that the player did not get the message or simply forgot in the heat of moment. Al la Chris Weber.
I was going to bring up the Webber play as well. No disagreement here that the assistants have to be aware. Whatever the case, it could've been costly, luckily it wasn't.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
DO you have an ISU degree? Ever studied cause and effect?
CprE ‘09. I’m honestly afraid to ask the same.

Do you understand the concept of uncontrolled variables? It’s just as likely a time traveler showed up and gave Prohm the game plans BU KSU and KU were going to use.

I mean, ****, shouldn’t we give all the credit to the players only meeting and say they’re winning in spite of the coaching staff?

What evidence do you have that the coaching staff is doing something different? That the ‘douchebag from Story City’ sized chip on his shoulder has affected his coaching?

• Winner
Reactions: Doc
Status
Not open for further replies.