Wasps and Wasp Nests

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I have seemed to notice a lot more wasps an nests this year at my house. Is anyone else noticing this? I have tried to remove the nests as best I can (many of them are in the peaks of the roof of my 2 story house). I have used a telescoping power washer wand to knock them down, but it seems like they keep coming back in the same spots. Is there a way to prevent the wasps from building new nests in the same spot?

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I have seemed to notice a lot more wasps an nests this year at my house. Is anyone else noticing this? I have tried to remove the nests as best I can (many of them are in the peaks of the roof of my 2 story house). I have used a telescoping power washer wand to knock them down, but it seems like they keep coming back in the same spots. Is there a way to prevent the wasps from building new nests in the same spot?
Wasp spray will repel them for several weeks. I have found several large nests around my house this year.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
tumblr_pa5z13okcx1vbcnq8o1_500.gif

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Ours were crazy this year. I went out to mow one day and there were probably 20 plus of them hanging out on the play set. I ended up calling a company to come take care of them. There were nests in every opening at the corners of our siding plus a few other places. I’ve seen one or two since I had them show up.

Reactions: Angie

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
We've noticed more at our house as well. I found a big nest under the siding on our deck. I bought two cans of the discount spray at Menards. Won't be making that mistake again. I don't know what was in those cans, but it wasn't harmful to wasps. I unloaded both cans directly on the nest, and the wasps just shook it off and flew right at me. I called the manufacturer, and told them they should change the name to "Come at me, Bro!" spray, but they said that Axe already owned those naming rights.
I ended up going and buying some RAID brand spray. That did the trick. They died almost instantly. My daughter counted 31 dead wasps. That's easily the biggest nest I've ever seen.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I'd buy some Cyper insecticide or have a local pest person spray it in the spring to prevent them from even nesting around your home.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Had this last year in my front year. Trust me when I say, you never want one of these. I discovered it after I got stung about 11 times. Talk about hurt. On the bright side, I finally got to use my epipen and to meet the emps in my town.

Paper-wasp-nest.jpg

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Carburetor cleaner, starting fluid are very effective ways of getting rid of wasps and wasp nests. I can stand less than 5' from the nest and spray. They drop on contact. Had a nest as big around as a baseball and dropped 30+ in less than 15 seconds. Stuff works great!

• Agree
Reactions: ppclone and jay moe

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I can't find the nests but we definitely have a lot more around the house this year than we have in our 4 years living there.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I too have seen small wasp nests this year in places I have not seen them in previous years. I wonder if the weather has something to do with it?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Had this last year in my front year. Trust me when I say, you never want one of these. I discovered it after I got stung about 11 times. Talk about hurt. On the bright side, I finally got to use my epipen and to meet the emps in my town.

Paper-wasp-nest.jpg

Did you pull that shot from the first season of Stranger Things? WTF, that's a horror movie right there.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We've noticed more at our house as well. I found a big nest under the siding on our deck. I bought two cans of the discount spray at Menards. Won't be making that mistake again. I don't know what was in those cans, but it wasn't harmful to wasps. I unloaded both cans directly on the nest, and the wasps just shook it off and flew right at me. I called the manufacturer, and told them they should change the name to "Come at me, Bro!" spray, but they said that Axe already owned those naming rights.
I ended up going and buying some RAID brand spray. That did the trick. They died almost instantly. My daughter counted 31 dead wasps. That's easily the biggest nest I've ever seen.

A total aside, but I tried buying the cheap version of Round Up to kill some weeds this summer and I'm absolutely convinced that stuff is fertilizer.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron