Wasps and Wasp Nests

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
These hive threads every summer remind me of an experience I had about 4-5 years ago and make me go back do my annual read of my experience on an amazingly tragic and traumatizing day.

For reference,
https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/bee-hive.206195/

That said, use fire. But use caution. They are small but they are mighty. And make sure you properly identify the stinging insect.

• Funny
Reactions: cowgirl836

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Had this last year in my front year. Trust me when I say, you never want one of these. I discovered it after I got stung about 11 times. Talk about hurt. On the bright side, I finally got to use my epipen and to meet the emps in my town.

Paper-wasp-nest.jpg

I had an almost identical one in my silver maple a few years back. Neighbor is severely allergic so I didn't mess around and called some pros to remove it before someone got stung. Did want him having to use his pen because of a nest in my front yard.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Carburetor cleaner, starting fluid are very effective ways of getting rid of wasps and wasp nests. I can stand less than 5' from the nest and spray. They drop on contact. Had a nest as big around as a baseball and dropped 30+ in less than 15 seconds. Stuff works great!

Use to get wasps in the tractor cab all the time, some good ole ether will drop em quick.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I had an almost identical one in my silver maple a few years back. Neighbor is severely allergic so I didn't mess around and called some pros to remove it before someone got stung. Did want him having to use his pen because of a nest in my front yard.

Autumn Blaze maple here. Mine is a rather long story, I started getting stung, and was yelling, and my neighbor who was a nurse was asleep in her car, and my yelling woke her up. She helped me in the house, got my dog in the house, got my epipen and did it, then she called 911.

I couldn't get any pest control service out for a couple days, so my two neighbors backed a truck up under the thing with a trash bag, cut the limb off into the bag and tied it up real quick. They thought it was cool they did that, I thought they were really stupid. The pest control said there were probably about 300-1000 wasps living in that thing. Also, after two days, there was a new nest being constructed in the same tree from the "free" wasps, that the pest control had to deal with.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
These hive threads every summer remind me of an experience I had about 4-5 years ago and make me go back do my annual read of my experience on an amazingly tragic and traumatizing day.

For reference,
https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/bee-hive.206195/

That said, use fire. But use caution. They are small but they are mighty. And make sure you properly identify the stinging insect.

Lol, that was an entertaining reread.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Watch the YouTube channels of Hornet King or The Bee Man. Those guys are serious exterminators. They go after those super hives. Entertaining and spine tingling to watch.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Autumn Blaze maple here. Mine is a rather long story, I started getting stung, and was yelling, and my neighbor who was a nurse was asleep in her car, and my yelling woke her up. She helped me in the house, got my dog in the house, got my epipen and did it, then she called 911.

I couldn't get any pest control service out for a couple days, so my two neighbors backed a truck up under the thing with a trash bag, cut the limb off into the bag and tied it up real quick. They thought it was cool they did that, I thought they were really stupid. The pest control said there were probably about 300-1000 wasps living in that thing. Also, after two days, there was a new nest being constructed in the same tree from the "free" wasps, that the pest control had to deal with.
Sounds like you lived in an interesting neighborhood. At least your neighbors were helpfull!

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I have two small stained glass windows in my kitchen/eating area, with clear glass on the inside. A couple days ago my wife noticed a wasp nest between the planes of glass. There must be a small hole on the outside they found. Haven't figured out how I'm going to deal with them yet.

• Haha
Reactions: aauummm

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I have two small stained glass windows in my kitchen/eating area, with clear glass on the inside. A couple days ago my wife noticed a wasp nest between the planes of glass. There must be a small hole on the outside they found. Haven't figured out how I'm going to deal with them yet.

Move.

• Haha
Reactions: mynameisjonas

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I have had bad wasp problems on a 10x10 deck the last few years. They would build nest in eaves or deck railing. Bad enough that it made it impossible to sit on deck or not get buzzed using grill.

This spring I did some research and put planters of geraniums, marigolds and herbs like basil on deck. Have had about 10% of wasp traffic and no sign of nests. Supposedly there are some flowers and herbs that bees/wasps don't like the smell.

Can't be sure plantings did the trick, but possible solution.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

Better get out.