Volleyball at Iowa 8:00 PM 9/11

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Do do you even know what you're talking about? Shymansky has brought in more talent to Iowa City than what has existed before. They've got four transfers that were pretty highly regarded in their own right. (Including 3 SEC starters) they'll have a very strong class coming in again next fall. Janota is going to be good and she's only a sophomore. Iowa should have hired Shymansky instead of Dingman years ago

Agree with this. Iowa is much improved and the talent/experience gap is not nearly as wide as Tornado claims.

That said, this was a match that ISU should have won and probably would have if they could have pulled out Set 4. Reading between the lines from cyclones.com, a set error from Harris was crucial in that 26-28 loss.

Also need to keep in mind these were the first matches against quality opponents with the 5-1. Based on the match reports, Bigbee, Knuth, Vondrak and Horner were benched due to the 5-1 switch. I know Horner is concussed but I'm assuming that Harris will be the setter from here on out unless Bowman eventually beats her out. Knuth didn't play at all yesterday so she may also be injured.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I don't really know how much talent this team has compared to their opponents, but so far they just do not seem to have found their rhythm yet or something.

I also wonder if maybe it is something of a conditioning problem. When they have had 2 matches in a day this season, they seem to do well in the first match, including getting a win over a ranked team, but then they seem to die out in the 2nd match.......all 3 have been losses.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Agree with this. Iowa is much improved and the talent/experience gap is not nearly as wide as Tornado claims.

We still have the talent to beat Iowa at Iowa regardless the number of "powerhouse" SEC starters Iowa seduces. It was not the talent; it was the perfect storm and we had our boat broadside to the waves.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I don't really know how much talent this team has compared to their opponents, but so far they just do not seem to have found their rhythm yet or something.

I also wonder if maybe it is something of a conditioning problem. When they have had 2 matches in a day this season, they seem to do well in the first match, including getting a win over a ranked team, but then they seem to die out in the 2nd match.......all 3 have been losses.

I was thinking the same thing about conditioning, but maybe it is depth. We have seen fatigue be a factor with this program before.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
We blew out Milwaukee 3-0 in the last game on Saturday: http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210337038&DB_OEM_ID=10700

One thing bad about the Iowa loss in preps will actually look at Iowa over other choices. Women's VB has become so competitive now with us surrounded by strong teams from Nebbie, to Wisky, Minnie, and even Misery. We don't need Iowa to have anything in any sport more than they have.

What hurts us most in recruiting is the BTN. They air a ton of VB matches, it gives those programs huge visibility, and recruits also are attracted to being on tv.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Do do you even know what you're talking about? Shymansky has brought in more talent to Iowa City than what has existed before. They've got four transfers that were pretty highly regarded in their own right. (Including 3 SEC starters) they'll have a very strong class coming in again next fall. Janota is going to be good and she's only a sophomore. Iowa should have hired Shymansky instead of Dingman years ago

I hope to Best Kansas - but Iowa with zero wins in conference!? Can not wait for next year.

Here's Iowa's record now:

Overall
10-13
Conf.
0-10
Home
7-5
Away
0-7
Neutral
3-1

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I don't buy that. It's more of a "symptom." The wake-up calls should have been after the Marquette and Virginia losses. This is a team with a lot of talent - a team that should be toying with Iowa. Shymansky dreams of having our talent...then he beats us.

If the trend at this point holds you had it correct. The Iowa loss does appear to be a fluke.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I hope to Best Kansas - but Iowa with zero wins in conference!? Can not wait for next year.

Here's Iowa's record now:

Overall
10-13
Conf.
0-10
Home
7-5
Away
0-7
Neutral
3-1

To be fair (here I go "defending" Iowa again), 8 of those 10 conference losses were against ranked teams. But that doesn't change the fact that in 7 of them Iowa was swept. They have only won 4 sets in conference play, with 2 of those coming against Michigan in Iowa City. I really wish we could have that match back for a do-over.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
To be fair (here I go "defending" Iowa again), 8 of those 10 conference losses were against ranked teams. But that doesn't change the fact that in 7 of them Iowa was swept. They have only won 4 sets in conference play, with 2 of those coming against Michigan in Iowa City. I really wish we could have that match back for a do-over.

Yes there is more to the story.

But, we are improving and are about to test our squad against top teams and looking good. Iowa has not improved and was not a top team when we lost to them. The Iowa State at Iowa match saw us still wobbly in the young season, (6-3 vs 5-1? along with several other factors) and by chance and uncharacteristically strong play, had Iowa winning.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
The biggest problem with that loss, is the more Iowa looses, the more it hurts our RPI>