SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

200.gif

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Why the **** would NBC want to lose ND?
They wouldn't, but is NBC willing to pay ND rights fees in the Big10/SEC stratosphere.

One weakness to the Notre Dame package on NBC is visibility. There are no-lead in or post ND games where they can expand on the Notre Dame fan base. I was surprised that ND only had 1 or 2 games with over 4/5M fans. While Bama & TOSU had a handful. I guess that makes sense because sometimes I'll turn on the 11am game and not switch.

• Agree
Reactions: StLouisClone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
They don't obviously. The question I have is the only way peacock can save their deal is going through ESPN. Or in NBCs mind is ESPN the obstacle.
I guess I just don’t see how that happens if ND jumps. I don’t know any of the legalities as far as the ND/NBC agreement though. Also, why is NBC never included in the possible future tv negotiations?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
He’s just making **** up.
I believe WSU & OSU are reaching out to the Big12. What do they have to lose?

With the SI piece including OSU in a Big12/20, maybe having a team near Portland is important to TV people.

I don't see it, but I'm more interested in seeing teams in Big12+ that I want to watch on TV or travel to

Reactions: BCClone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Schools have to make contact. Conferences can’t offer without teams “applying “.
That is the official stance, but there is always a work around for something like this. I am sure the B12 has people with connections to those schools that have reached out to them "unofficially" to gauge their interest.

Do your really think that UT and OU went to the SEC on the own, or was ESPN the go between, talking to both sides gauging if they could pull it off. Once interest was shown by both sides, that it when they actually met to work out the details. Much like a school contacting the agent of a coach they would like to hire, the agent goes to the coach, and if they say, "not interested", it ends there, if not, it continues.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Hmmm....would this be the same WSU and OSU who a year ago told the Big 12 to piss up a rope when we were in crisis mode and asked for a merger?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
According to the newly released numbers we are on par with Washington.
But not with the Ducks.

And the Huskies don't (want to) believe that.

Plus, we are already 99% sure the B1G won't take us. Those two maybe aren't convinced of that in their case.

Maybe it would work out to wait for the Big XII to wait and try to get a better deal. But maybe the best strategy is to be bold and go in with a good offer now.

And I'm greedy, I want a package deal, not just UDub.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I believe WSU & OSU are reaching out to the Big12. What do they have to lose?

With the SI piece including OSU in a Big12/20, maybe having a team near Portland is important to TV people.

I don't see it, but I'm more interested in seeing teams in Big12+ that I want to watch on TV or travel to

If the B1G takes Notre Dame + Oregon and stops at 18, the Big 12 adds the 4 mountain schools, Stanford and Cal evaluate their options and decide to stop playing major college football, then yeah I could see the B12 deciding its best options at that point were to add Washington and Oregon State or Washington and Wazzu to get to 18.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I’m not going to read this whole 138 pages but can someone answer me why would ND jump? You’re telling me NBC isn’t going to willingly pony up the big10 pay amount just for ND? If ND is getting the same $$$ why join a conference?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I’m not going to read this whole 138 pages but can someone answer me why would ND jump? You’re telling me NBC isn’t going to willingly pony up the big10 pay amount just for ND? If ND is getting the same $$$ why join a conference?

ND makes much less as an independent than it would in a P5 league and this has been widely acknowledged for years. The issue now is whether the gap between their NBC deal and the B1G is gonna get so wide that they can't keep up.

"There is no financial advantage to Notre Dame being independent in terms of operations,” Notre Dame athletics director Jack Swarbrick told The Athletic last year. "It costs us money. We would be much better off all in with the ACC or any Power 5 conference."

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
The Big 12 is working to get the Arizona schools right now. Next would be Utah. I feel well sourced on that. I've heard we are slow playing CU as Washington is on the table.

Some like CU while others feel they shouldn't be allowed back in. Hearing little to no interest on either end from Cal and Stanford to the Big 12. They look down on the leagues academia and fox doesn't view them as good for TV versus others.

This person seemed rather confident and has been right more than wrong since we met.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
ND makes much less as an independent than it would in a P5 league and this has been widely acknowledged for years. The issue now is whether the gap between their NBC deal and the B1G is gonna get so wide that they can't keep up.

"There is no financial advantage to Notre Dame being independent in terms of operations,” Notre Dame athletics director Jack Swarbrick told The Athletic last year. "It costs us money. We would be much better off all in with the ACC or any Power 5 conference."

I get how it is going now but times have changed. What I am wondering is will NBC not try to come close to if not match what they can get elsewhere?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Just my opinion as a fan, but ND playing 5 ACC games a year really hurts their brand. As a college football fan, I like seeing ND play their B1G Rivals (Michigan, Mich. State and Purdue), Penn State (before they joined the B1G), Pitt, USC, Miami (in the old days) / Stanford (after Miami was dropped) and other intersectional games with SEC teams, etc. Playing 5 ACC teams a year is just not as interesting. Basically, ND in the B1G (especially since USC in now a member) would be more interesting.

Reactions: ISU22CY

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
ND won’t jump until they have to, and they don’t have to as long as the ACC is more or less what it currently is.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The Big 12 is working to get the Arizona schools right now. Next would be Utah. I feel well sourced on that. I've heard we are slow playing CU as Washington is on the table.

Some like CU while others feel they shouldn't be allowed back in. Hearing little to no interest on either end from Cal and Stanford to the Big 12. They look down on the leagues academia and fox doesn't view them as good for TV versus others.

This person seemed rather confident and has been right more than wrong since we met.

While it makes sense on the surface, what do Cal and Stanford see as alternatives that measure up academically? If 4 or more schools leave the Pac, seems like Stanford and Cal would end up in the MWC if they don't come to the B12. MWC isn't exactly an academic powerhouse either.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

Big 12 would have serious BDE if we added Arizona, ASU, Utah, and Washington and stopped at 16. Good luck Buffs.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
While it makes sense on the surface, what do Cal and Stanford see as alternatives that measure up academically? If 4 or more schools leave the Pac, seems like Stanford and Cal would end up in the MWC if they don't come to the B12. MWC isn't exactly an academic powerhouse either.

No source here. But it wouldn't shock me if they circle up with other elite academic schools and make a "nerd" conference. Their academic endowment is more important than competition on the football field. Cal hasn't been relevant in football or men's basketball in over a decade. Stanford had been fading lately.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron