Update on a vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Vaccines are safe and effective because they are properly tested before being approved. I am 100% pro-vaccine but I worry a little that the fast-tracking of everything will allow an inferior product to hit the market. The de-regulation of the serological antibody tests have basically proven that a bunch of garbage will hit the market if we remove all regulatory approvals. It's a delicate balance and certainly something I do not trust politicians with a looming election to handle properly.
This.

Is it weird that I'm more afraid of the vaccine than I am the coronavirus itself?

kcbob79clone

Moderna is already manufacturing the vaccine for distribution( they are assuming its going to pass the last phase of the trials). They expect to have 400 million doses available at approval and 2 billion by next year. Thats a whole lot. And Pfizer is also neck and neck with their Oxford based vaccine, which is showing even a stronger antibody response. Its already in the final phase of its trial.

And Oxford vaccine has plans for 2 billion vaccines

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm sure I'll get labeled as "anti-science" and "part of the problem", but I'll definitely slow-play getting this thing.

How many things go well in your industry when they're "fast tracked"?

I get a kick out of the people who are vaccine skeptics, I mean even skeptical of proven pinnacles of human achievement and quality of life like the Polio vaccine, yet they immediately jump at the idea of living with electronic bluetooth devices inside their skulls or eating foods with dozens of known harmful artificial chemicals on a daily basis.

You can find people who turn their nose up at organic food, embrace a diet full of known harmful chemicals, yet are against the polio vaccine. Crazy world we live in.

Reactions: isutrevman

kcbob79clone

There's been some stuff popping up about getting it multiple times but you'd think there would be more cases like that reported. It's not guaranteed one way or another.

Fauci hailed the recent vaccine stuff as good news...and nobody knows their effectiveness because we don't know how long the immunity would last.

Fauci's opinions are like weather in Iowa, ah you know the rest

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
A few countries are having problems again, so good news for not just us:

Still looks amazing to have that flat valley and a second little hill compared to our mountain with a second mountain growing out of it.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
You and I both know there is a heartbreaking number of people out there who are never going to take a COVID vaccine in particular or any vaccines at all.

And we have some of those types on here (unfortunately). You are right that some prudence is warranted, but try not to sound so much like them.

How am I sounding like them? Just because I'm going to wait a while get one? By the way, I don't really think people are going to turn into lizards. ;). And, my children have all of their vaccines. They also get flu shots. I don't get one because it makes me sick.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I get a kick out of the people who are vaccine skeptics, I mean even skeptical of proven pinnacles of human achievement and quality of life like the Polio vaccine, yet they immediately jump at the idea of living with electronic bluetooth devices inside their skulls or eating foods with dozens of known harmful artificial chemicals on a daily basis.

You can find people who turn their nose up at organic food, embrace a diet full of known harmful chemicals, yet are against the polio vaccine. Crazy world we live in.

I think you can be fine with vaccines yet still be concerned about this one being rushed. That's not unreasonable or crazy. Though the crazies will be out in force too, of course.

Agree with you on generally irrationality of human beings. I had a gal smoking a cigarette give me grief for drinking a diet pepsi - "diet pop is so bad for you, do you know what kinds of chemicals are in those?" Good grief.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Lemme send you an email.

Capitalism and technology are the problem!

Sent by my iPhone

Reactions: CascadeClone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
It’s great news, period.

With that said... I’m more interested in knowing how long the antibodies will hold up for.

There is some preliminary study work that shows possibly only 60% of naturally infected patients get a healthy antibody buildup, and that natural antibodies peak within 2-3 weeks and are mostly gone after 2-3 months. While a booster could help, it’s possible it would need to be an annual type of solution.

I’m way out of my depths when it comes to vaccine development, but I think there should be some expectation setting that 1) it will take time to distribute and administer, 2) it likely won’t be a once and done solution, and 3) it won’t remove the virus from the face of the earth entirely.

Those should be expectations people understand and are comfortable with, but this is also the same place that can’t be infringed upon to put a piece of cloth over their mouths in order to earn back sports and daily life.

Even if it's only effective for a short period, that would at minimum get this under control. If we can get enough immunity to prevent the spread for 2-3 months, hopefully that will take it to the point that we can contact trace and provide boosters as needed.

Or...perhaps further studies will be able to turn this into a nasal spray or something that you take every 3 months?

Reactions: mj4cy

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
We all should rewatch this before the vaccine:)
i_am_legend_key_art.jpg

Reactions: CascadeClone

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
If this gets through phase 3 trials I would be happy to take it. I'd be happy to be a trial participant as well, but I don't have a lot of daily contact so my chances aren't high of being included

Reactions: CTTB78

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Here come all the vaccination/medical experts on CF to give their professional advice/opinions.

The good news is it appears that at least a couple of these vaccines will prove worthy and safe enough for control of this virus within the next 6-9 months, if not sooner.

Reactions: CTTB78

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Not to be a downer here, but even if we had a great vaccine right now ready to go, it would still take months to manufacture, distribute, and administer it on a global scale. I hope we get there (obviously), but even an end to the scientific process of producing a vaccine begins a large scale industrial, logistical, and medical process of bringing it to the world -- and I am not even going to try to seriously talk about the pockets of our society that will, umm, "resist" such a breakthrough. So you have to bake in time for that.

That time is probably not in time for college football in early September.
Not to mention the virus's ability to mutate.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
All I know is, when this thing is figured out, we’re all going to be superhuman. This is the next round of evolution, and science is pushing it forward. Gonna have to raise the hoop to 15’ in a coupe years.

(somewhat jimlad)

Status
Not open for further replies.