Twister Sisters' Free-Throw Percentage Record Watch

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Inspired by the Cyclone stats GOAT Chris Andringa's free-throw tweet after yesterday's win over West Virginia, I can't help but realize what an incredible job the sisters have been doing on the free-throw line this season. So I spent a few hours digging the free-throw stats on Cyclones.com and NCAA.com and here are some of my findings. I hope you fanatics enjoy it, especially acoustimac and mred. If you have more interesting FT stats you would like to share, feel free to chip in.

Disclaimer: Because I don't have the stats of the entire CycloneWBB history, there could be some errors. Please point them out so I shall correct them accordingly.

I. ISU is on pace to become the best NCAA WBB D1 team in FT% by the end of the regular season.

Currently, ISU is sitting at second place in FT% among NCAA D1 schools.

#1 Milwaukee (Horizon League): 83.29% (made 354 of 425). They have played 24 games and already finished their regular season.

#2 Iowa State (Big12): 82.99% (made 327 of 394). We have played 24 games and have one regular season game left (vs Kansas at home).

The rest of the schools are no threat to us.

According to my calculation, to leap over Milwaukee and take over the top place, we will need to make 8 or more free throws without a miss, or make 13 or more with a single miss. The sisters have been on a roll in recently four games (made 69 of 72), so there's a good chance they could achieve it.

I don't know if ISU has lead in NCAA in FT% in any previous seasons. If not, this might be the year.

II. ISU is on pace to break the school record of FT% in a season.

According to the record book on Cyclones.com, in the 2012-2013 season, the ISU team shot school best 80.5% (459-570). I also checked the FT record of the past four seasons, none of those teams shot over 80%. If this team can keep the current pace, it will become the best FT team in school history.

III. ISU set a school record of most free-throws made without a miss in the Senior Day game against West Virginia.

For the first time this season, the team shot 100% in a game, making 14-14. According to the record book on Cyclones.com, the previous record is 13-13 (vs Drake, 02/28/1980).

For stats nerds:

a) Last season's team shot 10-10 (vs K-State) and 25-26 (96.2%, vs Wright State), and had only two other games in which they shot over 90%.

b) Bridget's senior season's team shot 100% in three games (12-12 twice and 10-10 once, all in road games), shot between 90% and 93% in four other games. That team shot 79.3% in the entire season.

c) This year's team has shot 90% or higher in 10 games so far (WOW!). They had a three-game 90% FT stretch in last Dec. (@ UNI, vs KSU, vs Drake) and is currently in a four-game 90% FT stretch (95% vs TCU, 95.8% vs KU, 92.9% vs OSU, 100% vs WVU) and counting.

Remember, this kind of great FT% is easy to be achieved by a single player, but for a team to do it, it speaks volumes about teamwork.

Credit to the players and coaching staff, this amazing display of free-throw shooting has definitely played a very important role in our team's success and help them win some close games.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
These stats make me smile. As everyone knows, free throws are such a key facet of the game in my opinion. You get to the line and make 'em and you win. I’ve never figured out why men's teams don’t stress it more. Look at the ISU Baylor game the other night. Baylor had a crap load of chances at the line and just kept missing. That’s the only reason they didn’t put the game away earlier than they did.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
On many occasions of this season, when the game's outcomes were not decided yet, we have seen one of our players would shoot free throw alone, with the other four retreating to the other side of the court. I thought it might be due to our team's defensive strategy, now I realize that our free-throw offense is so good that more often than not, we don't need players to stand underneath the basket for offensive rebounds. We just make those freebies regardless.

Man, I'd love to hear the Godfather John Walters say this phrase more in the broadcast.
"The Cyclones have their free throws stuck on automatic".

Reactions: acoustimac

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Update after the KU game. ISU has made 16 of 19 free throws, which has slightly improved their season percentage from 82.99% to 83.05% (made 343 of 413). The current percentage is not good enough to dethrone Milwaukee (shot 13 of 14 in the Horizon League quarter-final and improved to 83.60%), but ISU is still sitting comfortably at second place among NCAA D1 teams.