Summer Concert Thread

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Nice. I'm most excited to see Ryan Adams, but I suspect Gary Clark Jr. is going to steal the show at Hinterland.

I am most excited for Gary Clark Jr, and to see Shakey Graves again. I loved Ryan Adams when he was at Stephens a few years back, but I'm not sure how his style will translate to headlining a festival?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I am most excited for Gary Clark Jr, and to see Shakey Graves again. I loved Ryan Adams when he was at Stephens a few years back, but I'm not sure how his style will translate to headlining a festival?

Yeah, who knows? If it gets to be Saturday night and it's been blazing hot and everyone is tired, overheated, and half consumed by mosquitoes then his between song banter might not play well. Nobody's going to want to hear him ramble about how the festival scene reminds him of Legend of Zelda or a The Smiths b-side released 30 years ago that nobody's ever heard of.

I think he'll be OK, though. I'm hoping he opens with Do You Still Love Me. That song with the organ intro into the big power chords seems ready made for a set opener.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Just in case anyone might be interested in a short trip to KC instead of going to the Iowa State/Iowa game:
Buzz%20Beach%20Ball%20admat%20960px_v2.jpg

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Just in case anyone might be interested in a short trip to KC instead of going to the Iowa State/Iowa game:
Buzz%20Beach%20Ball%20admat%20960px_v2.jpg

Aaaaand we just ordered tickets. Run the Jewels alone sold it, even without Weezer or Spoon or Snoop or Toadies, all of whom I love. THANK YOU for the info!

Reactions: ComCY

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Aaaaand we just ordered tickets. Run the Jewels alone sold it, even without Weezer or Spoon or Snoop or Toadies, all of whom I love. THANK YOU for the info!
I really enjoy Hippo Campus as well! Idk if you've ever listened. All from MN

• Friendly

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016

You're welcome! You could even go to the KC alumni gamewatch for the game at 11am, and still make it to beach ball! :)

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I really enjoy Hippo Campus as well! Idk if you've ever listened. All from MN

I'm listening to them right now on Spotify! I've only heard just a couple of their songs before, but have enjoyed it. I'm trying to think of who they remind me of. I think that'll be a great fit in that lineup.

You're welcome! You could even go to the KC alumni gamewatch for the game at 11am, and still make it to beach ball! :)

I just told Janny that, and he agrees that would be awesome! I always forget how very many ISU fans are down there. I'll be bugging you later for info! We already got our hotel for both nights out near the airport - it looks like last year started around 2:45 each day, and then ended around midnight? (I would have KILLED to see Alabama Shakes.) That's AWESOME because it doesn't take up the whole entire day.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Very excited for Gary Clark Jr. and Shakey Graves as well. I'd also highly recommend Nikki Lane. She is badass with a great voice and lyrics. Reminds me of a female Sturgill Simpson.
100% agree with all three also love some Dwight, and I really think Ryan Adams new album music willl blow us away live....

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
We ventured for the very first time to the famous Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake this past Wednesday night to see Brian Setzer RockaBilly Show.

I had high expectations and he blew me away with his tremendous showmanship and guitar riffs. We were fortunate to be standing 15 feet from him so we had a chance to really experience his talent. Nobody really can do what he does. I have seems some great guitarists-- including Eddie Van Halen and Stevie Ray Vaughn, and I'd rank Setzer right up there

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
I'll already be at the Iowa State Fair on Aug. 12th, so I'll probably stick around to see Think Floyd. Seeing as I'm an old hippie who grew up with the Grateful Dead, I thought I might go see moe. on Wed. the 16th.

Reactions: MrPeske

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
I was pretty excited with the Foo Fighters announcement. I am not a die hard fan, but I mostly enjoy their music. I signed up for the pre-sale, then I saw the price. I was rather shocked that the Foo Fighters charge $101 per ticket. I am happy that DM got this concert, but I am not a big enough fan to pay that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron