Summer Concert Thread

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
It's insane to think that those dudes, combined, are like 135 years old. But they were up there just rocking for almost four hours. I thought the show was really, really good. Joe Walsh can still shred - and there wasn't a down minute, really, in Petty's entire set. I couldn't believe how long they played. LOVED that there were so many songs from Wildflowers.

Wildflowers is by far my favorite Petty album. Rick Rubin = legend. I have a music room in my basement with concert posters and pictures all over the walls, and want to put a Rick Rubin poster up - but I can't find one anywhere, that I like at least.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Wildflowers is by far my favorite Petty album. Rick Rubin = legend. I have a music room in my basement with concert posters and pictures all over the walls, and want to put a Rick Rubin poster up - but I can't find one anywhere, that I like at least.

It's easily my favorite, too. It's just awesome and mellow and fantastic from top to bottom. I wish they'd played "Honey Bee" last night, but they did a ton of stuff from it. It's just so cool.

Rick Rubin really is amazing. I mean, if the man can do both Wildflowers and Jay-Z's Black Album and just crush them both, that's an insane amount of talent.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Pumped for Turnpike Troubadors Friday.

Anyone have an idea of what time I need to get there for a decent spot? Looks like they have an opener for them. Never been to a concert at the amphitheater and looking for a little help. Thanks.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Pumped for Turnpike Troubadors Friday.

Anyone have an idea of what time I need to get there for a decent spot? Looks like they have an opener for them. Never been to a concert at the amphitheater and looking for a little help. Thanks.
I have the same questions.... Surprisingly my first visit as well, weather looks to have turned around....

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I have the same questions.... Surprisingly my first visit as well, weather looks to have turned around....

Should be a nice night. I was hoping people wouldn't get there very early so we could go out for supper/drinks beforehand and show up as the opener was playing.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's insane to think that those dudes, combined, are like 135 years old. But they were up there just rocking for almost four hours. I thought the show was really, really good. Joe Walsh can still shred - and there wasn't a down minute, really, in Petty's entire set. I couldn't believe how long they played. LOVED that there were so many songs from Wildflowers.

DAMMIT!!!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
DAMMIT!!!

It was really, really good. From Wildflowers, he played:

Wildflowers
You Don't Know How It Feels
You Wreck Me
It's Good To Be King
Crawling Back to You

I wish he'd done Honey Bee. :)

Reactions: CyBride

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Got my Saturday passes for Hinterland. Super excited, although the "service fee" they tacked on sort of ticked me off. I know, service fees are just a part of the deal now when you buy tickets to just about anything. But it has a bait and switch feel to it when that extra charge gets tacked on right before you confirm the purchase. Why don't they jsut put whatever they want to charge for service fees into the upfront cost of the ticket? Obviously it'd be the same cost either way; I just like to know what the real cost is from the jump.

Still excited for the show, though!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It was really, really good. From Wildflowers, he played:

Wildflowers
You Don't Know How It Feels
You Wreck Me
It's Good To Be King
Crawling Back to You

I wish he'd done Honey Bee. :)

Crap. Crawling Back to You is my favorite track on that album. I shouldn't have skipped this one.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Crap. Crawling Back to You is my favorite track on that album. I shouldn't have skipped this one.

I had feared that both him and Walsh might be in the whole "approaching 70 and really shouldn't be on stage anymore" era of their careers, since I'd never seen either before. Tom Petty was still on my bucket list anyway, though, so we went. I'm not a huge Walsh fan, but he can still play the **** out of a guitar. And Tom Petty put on a great show. I mean, it wasn't a high-energy spectacle, but that's not what his music has ever been - I really loved it.

Reactions: jbindm

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I will be there too and I'm more pumped to see Volbeat again than Metallica although I do like Metallica's new album.

Taking my 15yr old son to Green Day in Kansas City in August too.

Metalica was interesting in a Jane Goodall sort of way. My ears rang for 5 days after their Iowa City show a million years ago.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Soundgarden, then Tom Petty and Joe Walsh so far. Not sure what is next, but can't wait to find out! Trying to get tickets to U2 for the Joshua Tree tour on Monday, but it might be a challenge.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
  • Friendly

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Saw Dead Man Winter last night. Didn't know this before but the Cactus Blossoms were the opener (a great surprise). They both put on a great show! Venue was this cool little theater and we were only a couple rows from the stage

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron